Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-04-2018, 06:39 PM   #1

Squirrell underneath floor of slide out...HELP!!

Hi!! As we are preparing to close the TT for the winter, we noticed that underneath the bedroom slide out, there is grass sticking out from the hole just above where one of the cylinder enters the slide out...we have a Windjammer and the underbelly is entirely closed! Anyone know of a product to shoot in there to make sure the beast is out before we close...or any other suggestion would be appreciated!! Thank-you very much!!
grangalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 06:44 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by grangalo View Post
Hi!! As we are preparing to close the TT for the winter, we noticed that underneath the bedroom slide out, there is grass sticking out from the hole just above where one of the cylinder enters the slide out...we have a Windjammer and the underbelly is entirely closed! Anyone know of a product to shoot in there to make sure the beast is out before we close...or any other suggestion would be appreciated!! Thank-you very much!!
Mousefree might work
ejohnson1144 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 06:46 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejohnson1144 View Post
Mousefree might work
Non toxic has spragunClick image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2018-09-04-19-45-20.jpeg
Views:	210
Size:	53.0 KB
ID:	185476
Old 09-04-2018, 06:47 PM   #4

You could also try mouse cab
Old 09-04-2018, 06:49 PM   #5

I hear they like nuts and acorns
MR.M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 12:50 PM   #6

It could b birds ? How big is the hole?
Big Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 01:16 PM   #7

Quote:
We had a squirrel issue when we still had our Cardinal fifth wheel. They caused a lot of damage including chewing through the hydraulic lines for the slide. They also had babies in the underbelly and used the insulation to make nests in the speaker cabinets. We could not get them out so I pulled all the underbelley panels off the unit and cleaned up the mess. It was a huge mess and a big problem. I really hope you can get your rodents out before they do significant damage. They can cause other damage too because they will chew through anything including wires. I don't want to scare you but it is important to get the little tree rats out.
Old 09-05-2018, 01:29 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejohnson1144 View Post
Non toxic has spragunAttachment 185476
Has anyone tried this? I am not confident that it will wok as advertised. Be nice to hear some empiracle evidence.
Old 09-05-2018, 01:35 PM   #9

We got stuff called “Sniff ‘N’ Stop.” Odorants pouches all natural. It could be squirrels, mice, rats or birds. If it’s birds they don’t smell things and they don’t have saliva glands. That’s why you can put chili powder in bird seed to keep the squirrels from eating the seed.
We had a mouse that ate through my husbands 6 month old 3500 Silverado A/C box. Why???? Because the manufacturers are using Soy in the plastics and coating for wiring. Put food in front of them they are gonna eat it. You could spray ammonia up where the nest is. Pull as much nesting out if you can. DO NOT USE POISONS. If the critter dies in there you might as well burn your trailer. You will not get rid of the stench in there. Please let us know how you make out.
alicemerrill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 01:38 PM   #10

Talking Rodent problem

Also I have bought coyote urine on line to get rid of squirrels, raccoons other problem critters. Sounds nasty but it works
alicemerrill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 01:39 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherokeebill View Post
Has anyone tried this? I am not confident that it will wok as advertised. Be nice to hear some empiracle evidence.
This stuff works great used it first year we stored the rv no mice second year got lazy didn't re apply had a varmint chewed some linemen in a draw. Will reapply this fall for sure.
Old 09-05-2018, 02:31 PM   #12

Those are all fine ideas. ......but close the hole once gone. I’ll attach a picture of what I fabricated. Any hole invite rodents. Plenty of mice will live in the enclosed belly. After diligence and hours of sealing I never have a mouse. I also never use or need repellents of any type. Year round.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	E6D295BF-D20E-49FC-89F3-75AE44CF56A9.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	505.5 KB
ID:	185545   Click image for larger version

Name:	5485B9DF-FD60-4650-848D-B5496D788226.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	250.2 KB
ID:	185546   Click image for larger version

Name:	106FB4E8-385A-400D-8A7A-51837C868CA4.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	368.0 KB
ID:	185547  
Poper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 02:45 PM   #13

I’d get a couple of the insect smoke bombs and set them off while holding them at the opening your referring too. The ones I’ve used are a can, about the size of a coke can, you push in on the lever on top of can and it fogs the area. I’m sure you can hold on to these and direct it to a certain area. The fog will for sure drive them out and then you can seal up the opening.
Decon Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 03:53 PM   #14

After our squirrel problem I did what poper did. I too used aluminum lashing to close the holes. Mice can get in very small holes so you have to be very careful and try to identify any small crack that can allow them in. After ripping out the bottom panels and cleaning out the underbelley of our fifth wheel we were very diligent in looking for and closing off access holes. We did not have any more problems with rodents. Iused the same strategy on our boat and now with our new trailer I am have done the same. The nice thing about our new little E-Pro is that there is no slide and no retractable landing gear. These were the access points in our fifth wheel trailer. In any case I hope you can rid your trailer of these pests. They can be a real problem.
Old 09-05-2018, 07:29 PM   #15

Quote:
Moth Balls work great and are cheap. Rodents, bugs etc., be gone.
richard6335 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 09:25 PM   #16
New to FR. Old to TT

Quote:
In have used a product called Animal-B-Gone by Orthro. It is not a poison but full of botanical stuff that the critters don't like. We have used it to keep mice and squirrels out of my truck and our rental house and RV. not a problem and only need to spray around about every 30 days.
Old 09-05-2018, 09:48 PM   #17

You need to get it out first.....

We had a bird problem in a house vent and we used a magnet so that they could push their way out through the cover but couldn't return. If you trap them in, they will just eat their way out through another part of your rig. Plus if they die in there.... yuck.

You might have to fabricate something out of metal.

This homemade excluder is a pretty cheap solution
Old 09-06-2018, 08:39 AM   #18

Sure!! Buckshot works great and will not miss!? :0
Old 09-06-2018, 09:37 AM   #19

Squirrell underneath floor of slide out...HELP!!

Quote:

To get them out of ceilings of apartments we used ammonia in a spray bottle and then closed off the holes. Another thing is they usually hunt for food in the early morning so you may catch them when they’re out. They usually have babies in the spring and if they have a nest good luck getting them out.
Flightmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2018, 06:37 PM   #20

Tks to all for the responses!!! Great forum and good people!!

Decided to talk with a yard guy who works in an RV wholesale company...he said that they get a lot of problems from critters and for him, the only way to get a squirrel away from it's winter stash, is to catch him in a cage. That's exactly what we did, with peanut butter as bate and let me tell you, he was mad like hell!! Now, he's a long...long...way from home!!
grangalo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
floor, slide, slide out