Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-22-2013, 01:00 PM   #21
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

I'll measure mine tonight
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 01:02 PM   #22

Sorry we call it aspenite...or particle board (sp?) I'm Canadian... tomatoe/tomoto.. and it is 1/4" the repairman and my hubby have both said it's 1/4" hard getting a good picture lying on the floor. The picture you showed me, we call press board.. like MDF?

If you could great!! My inlaws have 1/2" and our friends just bought a new Retreat and it's 1/2" as well.
Starfish1995 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 01:05 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starfish1995 View Post
Sorry we call it aspenite...or particle board (sp?) I'm Canadian... tomatoe/tomoto.. and it is 1/4" the repairman and my hubby have both said it's 1/4" hard getting a good picture lying on the floor. The picture you showed me, we call press board.. like MDF?

If you could great!! My inlaws have 1/2" and our friends just bought a new Retreat and it's 1/2" as well.
We have an MDF here too. Much finer than the particle board and more dense.
Acableguy06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 01:17 PM   #24
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starfish1995 View Post

Lol yes I'll measure tonight!
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 01:24 PM   #25

Know of anyone else having these problems? Like I said I love the trailer, it's absolutely beautiful, fantastic layout, but this one has been a nightmare for us. Wondering if I just got a Friday afternoon on the factory line special and hoping that our dealership comes through and helps us out.
Old 08-22-2013, 01:28 PM   #26

First, is there a Salem rep on the forum? Time to get a contact going.

I think that the issue is this is a new unit and the floor is sagging.
Dealer should and will repair it, but remember to try to work with them. Asking for refunds right out of the box can get them a little testy and less likely to help in a courteous manner. The dealer won't want to pay for a repair, so they will look to two sources - the manufacturer or you. Make sure to refer to the manufacturer as a separate entity, not "you guys".

I'd bet the new guy in the plant made an error (likely, the industry has been growing lately) so best plan is to just get the dealer to do the fix. If they won't do it to your satisfaction then get a lawyer (barrister?).

Til' it is all sorted out, no one jumping on the couch!

-
Old 08-22-2013, 02:19 PM   #27

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arefbee View Post

I think that the issue is this is a new unit and the floor is sagging.
Dealer should and will repair it, but remember to try to work with them.

-
Do I want another product with substandard flooring? The key word in here is "new" and I unfortunately have a product that has had a number of issues... The list I sent was up to 16! How am I supposed to trust it will be repaired properly, and should I really have to keep a product that has this many issues in the first month I've had it? Sorry, Im just extremely frustrated and once bitten twice shy!
Old 08-22-2013, 03:31 PM   #28
Site Team

NO PRIDE HERE IN QUALITY
Looks like crap to be honest! shame on them for cutting corners like that.
Why I like to
That said give the dealer and fr a chance to make it right.
You need them on your side , after all the dealer didnt make it that way but they can help you fix it.
Cheap crap tics me off..SHAMEFULL

Best of luck!!

Zelda the campin dog
Platokidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 04:04 PM   #29
ARLO

Factory repair

If there are that many issues, it would be better to have it returned to the factory for repair.
rlocicero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 04:17 PM   #30

The Service Manager told me they were working with FR to try and come up with a solution... I've got my fingers crossed. Wish me.......
Old 08-22-2013, 04:38 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1100turbo View Post
Here's the pic starfish is wanting to show.

Attachment 38432

Mine is the same way, the first time I pulled the carpet back I was shocked how thin it was, but then I got to thinking no way could that 1/8th inch floor support anything. Pull the slide in a few inches, then reach under with your fingers and feel under the floor, you will see(more like feel) it is dadoed out (planed thinner) the last inch to make the floor sit more flush with the main floor. the actual slide floor is probably 1/2 inch thick except the last inch that you can see. I'm not saying the floor should be thicker than 1/2 (I think it should be 3/4), but it is thicker than what you think.

Mike T.
2013 Sabre31RKOK
station10fd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 05:02 PM   #32

I'll check it out tonight when I head back out there. It didn't look like it had been planed or anything on the one side, it looked the same as the top. Part that got me was the serviceman being able to bend it up flat from underneath the trailer... no stability there at all. 1/2" wouldn't flex like that.
Old 08-22-2013, 05:26 PM   #33

My slide is the same, 1/4" on the end, but it bevels back to almost a inch. With the couch & table on the slide it does flex a little when I walk on it.

Rich
rich1902 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 06:05 PM   #34
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by station10fd View Post
Mine is the same way, the first time I pulled the carpet back I was shocked how thin it was, but then I got to thinking no way could that 1/8th inch floor support anything. Pull the slide in a few inches, then reach under with your fingers and feel under the floor, you will see(more like feel) it is dadoed out (planed thinner) the last inch to make the floor sit more flush with the main floor. the actual slide floor is probably 1/2 inch thick except the last inch that you can see. I'm not saying the floor should be thicker than 1/2 (I think it should be 3/4), but it is thicker than what you think.

Mike T.
Good point. i would take a look

Zelda the campin dog
Platokidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 07:25 PM   #35

Who is the dealership you purchased your trailer from? The reason I am asking is that there is a company in Ont. that have dealerships all across Ont and as far west as Man. and also into the Atlantic provinces. They are well known for poor after sale's service.
caper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 07:31 PM   #36
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Just checked, my slide floors are at least 3/4" and are beveled at the front.
AquaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 10:59 PM   #37

Checked both living room slide floors and both are beveled for a flush floor when opened. Mine are plywood, definitely not OSB. I have worked with both and know the difference. I am thinking it is the same 5/8" plywood used as the bottom layer of flooring in my front bath/bedroom over the hitch.
That being said, OSB does have more flex than a comparable thickness of plywood. OSB is strong but not known for being rigid over long unsupported spans.
It seems to me the best repair would be a new assembled slide sent from Forest River.
Please keep us informed.

Ken

04.5 CTD 2500 Dodge 6spd manual
2014 Flagstaff 8528ckws
elkabong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 08:47 AM   #38

I can see some flex, but we sit crooked at the table, definite lean, sagging more than 2" in middle. They have told me that if it needs to be repaired it will have to go in and the whole tip out be taken out and floor rebuilt. Waiting to hear.
Old 08-23-2013, 12:42 PM   #39

I didn't mean to imply that since OSB has some flex, your situation is normal or should be expected. Just the opposite. I think unsupported OSB is not a particularly good choice as a slide out floor. But, it is what it is, and apparently does work in most cases.
My point was this situation would be best handled at the factory level. I have a good dealer with a good service dept. But, I would definitely be more comfortable with having this, and all other issues, handled where it was built.
I would like to monitor your progress in this matter and I am sure many others are interested as well. I realize you are probably both frustrated and busy, but please, keep us informed when you can.

Ken

04.5 CTD 2500 Dodge 6spd manual
2014 Flagstaff 8528ckws
elkabong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 04:03 PM   #40

Ttrost, is yours the OSB board or plywood?

Tags
flooring, salem, slide, slide out, trailer