Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-14-2013, 09:02 AM   #1

Unhappy Problems with slide out on Salem Villa FB404

Recently purchased a Salem Villa 404FB, absolutely love this trailer, but unfortunately we've had so many problems that I'm feeling like I bought a lemon. Salesman actually told me that once in a while a problematic trailer comes through and it looks like I have one. NICE!

Anyways, major problem with the tip out in the main area being unlevel. It's ridiculous! More than a 2.5" drop, we literally feel like we're sitting sideways and I'm sure I would have recalled than when we went and purchased the trailer! The other two tips outs for the bunks and Master Bedroom are both level. The service man is talking about

Anyone else have this much of a drop? The service men suggested they shim my table to make it level?? LOL! So I can sit leaning at a level table? They say this is a common issue with the Salems and I'm wondering if this is true?

It's so bad that when we have company, they laugh and seriously think they're going to fall off the side of thrailer in the tipout. They can't all be this bad can they?

Sorry I love my trailer and don't want to have to get rid of it... just so frustrated right now.
Starfish1995 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 01:08 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Is the trailer on a permanent site...blocked up and sitting on it's frame? I'm wondering if the slideout could be supported underneath to make it level. I may be worth a call to Salem and ask the question. The contact number listed in their brochure is 574.389.4600.

Dave(574) 389-4600
(574) 389-4600

Nights camped in 2013 - 55, 2014 - 105, 2015 - 63
Dave_Monica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 02:22 PM   #3

It's on a permanent spot, only had it a month, yes all blocked up and leveled by the company we bought it from, it's a 2014. They told us that you can't prop the tip out up cause it's all electric and they move together automatically? Sorry, I don't know much about it, but my parents have a Keystone Residence and it's got a big tip out and it does not lean at all. Our service guy told us they all do that so I was hoping to hear from others if there's lean too?
Old 08-18-2013, 07:13 PM   #4

Unhappy Substandard Flooring used in trailer tip-outs!! :(

SO!!!! Had a serviceman come and check out my trailer, it's not my slide out but the floor of the slide out. Substandard!!! It's 1/4" particle board, over a 13-12 foot span, no support and my floor is sagging under the weight of the couch etc. Will cost thousands to repair as whole slide needs to come off and new floor built! Will Forest River cover that!?!?! The service guy stood under the trailer tip out and was able to push it up with his body... so flimsy! trailer is only just over a month old, I've put a call in to them... just devastated!!! Spent $42,000 for a trailer that needs thousands in repairs after a month.. I thought I was buying a good product... or so the salesman told me.
Old 08-18-2013, 09:21 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starfish1995
SO!!!! Had a serviceman come and check out my trailer, it's not my slide out but the floor of the slide out. Substandard!!! It's 1/4" particle board, over a 13-12 foot span, no support and my floor is sagging under the weight of the couch etc. Will cost thousands to repair as whole slide needs to come off and new floor built! Will Forest River cover that!?!?! The service guy stood under the trailer tip out and was able to push it up with his body... so flimsy! trailer is only just over a month old, I've put a call in to them... just devastated!!! Spent $42,000 for a trailer that needs thousands in repairs after a month.. I thought I was buying a good product... or so the salesman told me.
Gotta believe the repair guy is feeding you a line with hook and sinker. If that deck was 1/4" particle board with no stiffening, and 100# of load you would have lost the contents of your RV soon after you bought it. Always best to get two estimates anyway.
VinceU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 05:51 AM   #6

It's not a line, the service people where I bought it have seen it and were trying to figure out how to repair, they were going to layer the floor, starting thickest at end of tipout and moving into center of trailer to try and repair it. They have had another family who purchased another Forest River, one with the kitchen in the tip out area, and it has falled through (Fridge and stove), so they were trying to figure out what happened with his, and now mine has the same issue.

Our service guy put the level on the floor of the tip out and showed us, his fingers easily fit under the center of the level, sagging in the middle. When he went under the tip out, outside, he used his back against the floor from underneath and I saw it going up and down. The trailer is a month and a half old, a Salem Villa 404FB. When you stand on it, it literally will bounce with you, each step on it, it goes up and down.

The particle board can be seen by lifting the carpet, it's 1/4". Ridiculous!! I'm so disheartened to have paid so much for a park model that we expected would be our final trailer and then to have this. We're seasonal campers and have been camping for 5 years. From the day they delievered it I've been complaining about the lean on the tip out and it's not the lean at all, it's the floor.
Old 08-19-2013, 06:46 AM   #7
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Sorry for your issues.

Its under warranty so I'd say get it to the dealer and get it fixed.

Imo I doubt its 1/4" as it wouldn't even hold a screw to be tightened down let alone a couch.
Is there a RVIA sticker near the entry door and model number?

Turbs
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 07:04 AM   #8
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1100turbo View Post
Sorry for your issues.

Its under warranty so I'd say get it to the dealer and get it fixed.

Imo I doubt its 1/4" as it wouldn't even hold a screw to be tightened down let alone a couch.
Is there a RVIA sticker near the entry door and model number?

Turbs
either way , sounds like a poor design
As far as salemen go....I have lake front property in the desert for sale too.
Half of them dont know the problems there selling in there defence.
Good luck on your repair!

Zelda the campin dog
Platokidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 07:18 AM   #9

it's 1/4"... blows my mind... we've taken pictures and our dealer is trying to resolve the issue.
Old 08-19-2013, 07:25 AM   #10
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starfish1995 View Post
it's 1/4"... blows my mind... we've taken pictures and our dealer is trying to resolve the issue.
I am really not surprised anymore WITH THE QUALITY or lack off better said on some forest river products, corner cutting what a shame
and they make some of the better units...go figure.
Hope it all works out for you!!

Zelda the campin dog
Platokidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 07:37 AM   #11
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Never mind about the rvia sticker as it doesn't apply to park models.

Hope the dealer gets it fixed properly.
Old 08-20-2013, 06:56 PM   #12

I'm amazed and astonished for you. Must be Venus or Mars rules they built to. Anyway if you are going to add wood make sure its a Marine grade plywood which will hold up over the years. To further stiffen it up maybe they can add a grid of flat bars on 16" centers between the sheets of wood to give it more bending resistance. They can basket weave it or butt weld it to attach sections as a firm grid. Lastly maybe threaten a Lawyer! Can't believe that's up to anyone's code for buildings or trailers.
VinceU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 09:28 AM   #13

Is the floor realy particle board? No one should be allowed to use particle board, for anything!
whj77372 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 12:12 PM   #14

I've been trying to upload a picture for two days and can't! Anyone help me out? I get to the upload stage and it just runs forever but won't upload. I can send someone the picture if they'll upload it for me!
Old 08-22-2013, 12:16 PM   #15
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
I've been trying to upload a picture for two days and can't! Anyone help me out? I get to the upload stage and it just runs forever but won't upload. I can send someone the picture if they'll upload it for me!
Pm sent
Old 08-22-2013, 12:42 PM   #16
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Here's the pic starfish is wanting to show.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20130822_124315.jpg
Views:	216
Size:	49.4 KB
ID:	38432
Old 08-22-2013, 12:51 PM   #17

Thanks so much for posting it for me!! See what I mean? Ridiculous!! I was finally so upset I contacted our dealer and requested a new trailer or a reimbursement. They still haven't gotten back to me to even try to talk to me. Soooo frustrated, so disappointed.
Old 08-22-2013, 12:54 PM   #18
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Thanks so much for posting it for me!! See what I mean? Ridiculous!! I was finally so upset I contacted our dealer and requested a new trailer or a reimbursement. They still haven't gotten back to me to even try to talk to me. Soooo frustrated, so disappointed.
Fyi that's not particle board its osb.
Also its hard to tell but looks like 3/8" not 1/4" ?

Your welcome !
Old 08-22-2013, 12:58 PM   #19
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

This is partical board.
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Particle_board

Osb

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oriented_strand_board
Old 08-22-2013, 01:00 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1100turbo View Post
Also its hard to tell but looks like 3/8" not 1/4" ?

Your welcome !
At first glance that what I thought. It looks like the tape is pushed down to the floor and showing a false read. But like you say its hard to tell. It may very well be 1/4". And it is definitely OSB not particle board.
Acableguy06 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
flooring, salem, slide, slide out, trailer