Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-09-2016, 12:08 PM   #1

SunSeeker 3100 - Weight Limit For Slide-Out?

Anyone know the weight limit for a 2006 SunSeeker 3100 slide-out?

We replaced the couch in our 2006 SunSeeker 3100 with dual "theater seats." They are much more comfortable than the the old couch, but on our first trip after the replacement we noticed that the slide-out seems to be sagging at the couch (forward) end, which is unsupported. Since the old couch hid the platform with a cover that went all the way to the deck, we're not sure if the sagging is a new situation.

We're thinking of shoring up the the couch platform with a one-inch slab of plywood. The "theater seats" are heavier than the original couch, so adding a fifty-pound piece of wood prompts concerns about overloading the slide.

Should this be a problem? Another thought we had was to devise some sort of roller mechanism to support that end of the slide.

K-R.
Kchula-Rrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 05:22 AM   #2

We have a '13 3100 and have some concerns about our slide as well. Looking over the mechanical side of the Lippert system in ours it appears that the motor is quite small. I assume it is a gear reduction unit. They can be rather powerful. I also assume that the engineers that design this stuff approach it from a weight standpoint. I have had my couch valance off this week as I am trying to figure out how to manually work the slide when the motor dies. Did not notice any sag in the platform but it is a bit newer than yours. If it were me I would go to Lippert (assuming yours is a Lippert slide) and ask the engineering dept. your question. I will be calling them myself to determine what they had in mind for manually cranking this slide of ours out given the space restrictions in our 3100.

wogden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 10:08 PM   #3

Our 2006 has instructions for manually working the slide on a sticker inside the cabinet door under the sink. Not sure if it's the same procedure, but I'll try to attach a picture of it to this message.

I'm not sure our concern is with the mechanism. Since our slide seems to be supported only in the middle, I'm more concerned with the floor of the slide bowing at the end(s) from the weight of the new seats, and the effect this might have on seals, operation, longevity, etc.

We measured the sag today. It was about half an inch, as best we could measure. It drooped another quarter inch when I sat on the end of the couch next to the driver's seat, farthest from the big track thing in the middle.

K-R.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Slide-room-op.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	427.4 KB
ID:	113697  
Kchula-Rrit is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
slide, sunseeker, weight, slide out