Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-21-2013, 05:37 PM   #1
Site Team

Super Slide separating at floor

I need advice everyone. Last weekend when I retracted the living room superslide on my Flagstaff 831RLBSS, it made more creaking noises than usual. On the end of the slide nearest the rear of the trailer, the wall is separating from the floor. The other end (towards the front of the trailer) seems to be alright.

I extended the slide back out just a hair and it seems to close the gap back up, then pulled it back in and the wall separated again. I am not going to dare extend it all the way back out, until I know what's causing this...and/or I have to take it to the dealer.

Can anyone please tell me their opinion on what's causing this?

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0150.jpg
Views:	651
Size:	57.5 KB
ID:	24607   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0148.jpg
Views:	581
Size:	58.3 KB
ID:	24608   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0149.jpg
Views:	450
Size:	51.3 KB
ID:	24609  

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 05:55 PM   #2
Phat Phrog

Oh my that is horrible!! I hope someone here can help but sure looks like something torqued!
RVChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 06:36 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVChick View Post
Oh my that is horrible!! I hope someone here can help but sure looks like something torqued!
Without really see it I would say that it came out of adjustment and level. In other words one side would have dropped down. If you are still in warranty take to the dealer. If not Lippard who made the slide has 4 bolts to readjust it. I had to raise my right end about 3/4
of an inch. I also think that their is a video on u tube that shows you how to do it. You want it as level as possible. I think RVCHICK is correct, if it is not level it will cause it to be torqued. Also it was a little hard to see but did you have a pen between the floor of the TT and the bottom of the slide?.......

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 07:39 PM   #4

Looks like the stops to keep the slide from being run in too far are out of adj alowing the slide to press too hard against the top of the slide while still pulling it in at the bottom.

2012 Winnebago "Journey To Insanity" 40U
2008 Dakota Sport 4x4
2004 Subaru Baja - DW's
2006 Honda Shadow Aero - TOAD for now.
F.R.O.G. member
lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 08:51 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

If I'm understanding this correctly, the floor of the slide has separated from the slide's sidewall...looks like the screws pulled out. Is the camper still under warranty?

If it's not under warranty and you need to fix yourself, I'd get all the weight off the slide floor at the end (the sofa?) and bump the slide out a bit at a time and drive new, longer screws through the floor up into the wall.

You can also check the Lippert Componenets site for slide adjustments if the slide room if out of adjustment.

Any chance that there any water getting in that floor/sidewall area that would have caused the screws to pull out?

Dave

Nights camped in 2013 - 55, 2014 - 105, 2015 - 63
Dave_Monica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 11:54 AM   #6
Site Team

Thanks for the advice. It gives me something to go on, and I'll try to research about the slide adjustments.

It's not under warranty anymore, so it's out of MY pocket ....which is why I want to try and understand the problem, as well as see if it's something I want to try and fix myself.

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
Old 02-22-2013, 12:03 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

I'm not making any conclusion about the slide out of adjustment. The superslide on our sits about 1" off the floor when it's all the way in...that's normal. I'm trying to understand why the screws stripped out. Any chance that you put weight on the elevated leading edge of the floor when the slide was in?

Dave

Old 02-22-2013, 01:10 PM   #8

Also from the looks of the 1 screw we can see in the pic (if it is the screw), it's about 1/4 long enough to hold the wall to the floor. I know it's different but a bunch of us a few years ago with the ROO 23SS had issues with the outside wall pulling away from the floor. It seemed the screws were way too short and then put in at an angle so they bearly caught the floor boards. Might just be a need for aome longer screws put in properly. When we fixed our issues we used regular 3" deck screws.

2012 Winnebago "Journey To Insanity" 40U
2008 Dakota Sport 4x4
2004 Subaru Baja - DW's
2006 Honda Shadow Aero - TOAD for now.
F.R.O.G. member
lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 01:35 PM   #9

Last year we experienced a similar problem when the floor separated from the side wall of our 2009 23SS. The problem was corrected at the factory, so I not sure how they corrected the problem.
gbpacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 02:31 PM   #10

The wall/floor seperation could be caused by the rocking motion of the trailer and slide when travelling if the slide locks are not used at the top of the slides. Just a thought....
Yamaha 3000iseb generator:Progressive Ind. EMS-HW30C : Eastern Ontario
Nights Camped: 2014 (18) 2015 (18) 2016 (36) 2017 (32) 2018 (42) 2019 (28) 2020 (35)
fonzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 09:09 AM   #11
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by fonzie View Post
The wall/floor seperation could be caused by the rocking motion of the trailer and slide when travelling if the slide locks are not used at the top of the slides. Just a thought....
It seemed to have happened (or at least I noticed it) when I pulled in the slide the last time. It's always made creaking sounds (if this is normal). As soon as I saw the gap, I extended the slide a little and the gap closed back up, then I pulled it back in again the gap opened up. I don't want to do ANYTHING until I understand what is happening, as I don't want it to catch on the carpet and tear more stuff up if I extend the slide.

I have a trip planned for March 8-10, but that may get canceled.

It kind of makes sense that it may be retracting too much on that side, as the slide always tilts up on the final part of retracting.

I've never really studied how the slide mechanisms are made, nor work....but it appears I am about to up my education.

I went ahead and put in an email to my great service lady at the dealership I bought it from.

Old 02-23-2013, 09:22 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Have you checked the mechanical stop under the slide. It's a bell shaped metal piece on a threaded rod, double nutted near the front of the slide and will be tight to the frame when all the way in. Is it loose? There a same set-up for the slide stop when all the way out that would hit against the inside of the frame rail.

Dave

Old 02-23-2013, 09:38 AM   #13

wmtire, the floor has simply seperated from the slide wall. The screws have pulled out.
Do you walk on the slide floor when it is retracted? That would be the most likely cause, as there is nothing supporting the floor other than those skinny screws.
I NEVER walk on my slide floor when it is retracted.
But it should be an easy fix. Just put more screws in at different spots. Don't forget to re-caulk the joint.
bakken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 09:38 AM   #14
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_Monica View Post
Have you checked the mechanical stop under the slide. It's a bell shaped metal piece on a threaded rod, double nutted near the front of the slide and will be tight to the frame when all the way in. Is it loose? There a same set-up for the slide stop when all the way out that would hit against the inside of the frame rail.

Dave
Thanks Dave. I am at work and the trailer is at home. I'll check this afternoon when I get there...and report back.

Old 02-23-2013, 09:42 AM   #15
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakken View Post
wmtire, the floor has simply seperated from the slide wall. The screws have pulled out.
Do you walk on the slide floor when it is retracted? That would be the most likely cause, as there is nothing supporting the floor other than those skinny screws.
I NEVER walk on my slide floor when it is retracted.
But it should be an easy fix. Just put more screws in at different spots. Don't forget to re-caulk the joint.
I haven't walked on it to my remembrance. I assume you would have to extend the slide out to be able to get to the underside to drive more screws?

Old 02-23-2013, 09:46 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmtire View Post
It kind of makes sense that it may be retracting too much on that side, as the slide always tilts up on the final part of retracting.
The slide "tilts up" because it hits the camper wall at the top first, so as it continues to retract, it pulls the bottom of the slide in, which in turn makes the floor "tilt up".
And yes, do not extend the slide as it will drag on your carpet/vinyl flooring. To extend the slide safely, you will have to shim the floor up with a piece of plywood or something so that it clears as you extend it.
Once extended, the slide floor will naturally push back up into place as it rests on the camper floor.
Old 02-23-2013, 09:51 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmtire View Post
I haven't walked on it to my remembrance. I assume you would have to extend the slide out to be able to get to the underside to drive more screws?
Yes. If you were ready to fix it, I would caulk the exposed side and top of the slide floor joint, as good as possible, run the slide out as described above, then add lots of new screws.
The only real problem is that you won't be able to get screws as close to the inside as they do at the factory, as they assemble the slide before installing it in the camper. So maybe a dab of construction adhesive on the last 6 inches of the slide floor, where it was screwed to the slide wall, might help a lot. That would make it tougher to remove if the slide florr had to be replaced in the future, but that most likely wouldn't be your problem!
Old 04-03-2013, 09:10 AM   #18
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakken View Post
Yes. If you were ready to fix it, I would caulk the exposed side and top of the slide floor joint, as good as possible, run the slide out as described above, then add lots of new screws.
The only real problem is that you won't be able to get screws as close to the inside as they do at the factory, as they assemble the slide before installing it in the camper. So maybe a dab of construction adhesive on the last 6 inches of the slide floor, where it was screwed to the slide wall, might help a lot. That would make it tougher to remove if the slide florr had to be replaced in the future, but that most likely wouldn't be your problem!
I did a lot of pondering....looking....more pondering....... on this whole situation.

I think I finally figured out what caused it. Just about every time I have traveled to my two favorite campgrounds with this camper, I have noticed the sofabed has always moved and is just inches from this corner. I always had to straighten it back up. I do travel over a few bouncy roads to get to these campgrounds and just figured the sofabed was hopping around. I believe now, that the weight of the sofabed hopping is what pulled the floor loose from the wall at this corner.

Once I get it fixed, I will most likely add shims under the retracted floor when traveling, to add support from things like the sofabed bouncing and stressing the floor/wall.

Bakken, I think I can do as you suggested and pull the floor back up to the wall. Everything is covered, including the floor, to keep water out, and I have to make sure any repairs I do, retain this feature. I'll take pics as I repair it, and post them later.

Anyhow, just letting everyone know, in case they encounter similar problems....or want to do something proactive now so it won't happen to them....like adding shims under the retracted floor during their travels.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_Monica View Post

Dave
Dave, as per your suggestion, I did check this out and it seems to be OK and tight.

Thanks everyone for the advice and help.

Old 05-09-2013, 05:07 PM   #19

Can you tell me if you were able to fix this problem, and if so, how did you fix it? Me and my family are new to RV'ing and were going to take a trip in our "new" used Rockwood 2604 Ultralight. I went to move the slider out and it tore up the flooring. I move the slider back in and noticed the floor was separated from the slider. It had my daughter almost in tears because we had to cancel our trip.
First Sergeant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 09:22 PM   #20
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by First Sergeant View Post
Can you tell me if you were able to fix this problem, and if so, how did you fix it? Me and my family are new to RV'ing and were going to take a trip in our "new" used Rockwood 2604 Ultralight. I went to move the slider out and it tore up the flooring. I move the slider back in and noticed the floor was separated from the slider. It had my daughter almost in tears because we had to cancel our trip.
I just now saw this post as I was linking to it from another thread. Sorry about the delay. I did as Bakken suggested. I was able to measure while the slide was in, where the screws were and marked then on the outside of the wall, which you can do when the slide is in. I was able to measure the distance from the wall edge, to make sure I ran the new screws into the floor at the same distance.

I then extended the slide and went outside. I climbed underneath the slide, and it is covered so I cannot see the actual flooring. I predrilled some holes thru the slide floor, into the aluminum frame wall member, then ran four more fairly equally spaced apart, screws into the slide floor, which pulled it back tight to the frame member.

I was also able to run a screw in closer to the corner of the floor and wall joint than Forest River did. They had dropped several inches away from the corner before setting the first screw. What I did, couldn't do anything but help.

Since I drilled thru the covering that keeps water out, I then siliconed over everything that I did to hopefully keep out any future water.

It has worked good so far.