Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-24-2014, 03:08 PM   #1

Terrible time with slides

I am extremely unhappy with Forest River right now after having come up on my second major problem with a slide out. Brand new 2014 Sunseeker 3170, purchased in March. First front slide goes out and won't go in. Worm gear that moves it shattered, just got back last week after having in shop for 6 weeks, it took five weeks just to get the part from the manufacturer that actually makes the slide (who by the way is not Forest River). Over last week end had problem with back slide and took it to the dealer today for adjustment and one of the slide motors quite working. The coach has been in for repair more than we've had it, and we have yet been able to use it.
If I had any advice to give to Forest River it would be to produce my own product in entirety or at least find a manufacturer for my slides that makes them to last for a while. And if I had any advice to anyone buying a Sunseeker it would be to have the dealer run the slides in several times with you watching to make sure they aren't going to break as soon as you get them home.
jcavery1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 03:34 PM   #2

Our 2008 Georgetown 374 has had the hydraulic motor/pump replaced, stair motor replaced, all slides repositioned......and now the bedroom slide is stuck in, the power awning is broken in place, and the front A/C vibrates the entire coach! This unit is a replacement following our using the Florida Lemon Law to get an exchange for our 2008 Georgetown 373 which encounter 17 weeks of in the service shop during the first 6 months of ownership......so that is the present situation!
George
ynott96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 04:57 PM   #3

We just need to count our blessings--after what ynott's gone through.

You obviously know how to handle a dealership, too.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 01:22 PM   #4

And fortunately, our extended warranty will fix the bedroom slide, replace the power awning motor, replace the front a/c( will upgrade to 15000 btu), and replace the stair controller......all is good!
George...Georgetown 374...2008
ynott96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 01:32 PM   #5

that's a lot of BS
Kuba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 07:03 PM   #6

I have formed the opinion that RV manufacturers have one thought in mind: Build them, sell them and don't worry about repairing them and making the customer happy.
Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 07:23 PM   #7

Send a message via ICQ to Cover Dog
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thurman View Post
I have formed the opinion that RV manufacturers have one thought in mind: Build them, sell them and [B]don't worry about repairing them and making the customer happy.
It's obvious you've never been to the Goshen F.R.O.G. Rally...

NRA Endowment Life Member, FMCA #455593, WIT #170814 & Mid-Ohio Winnies
Cover Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 08:16 PM   #8

With that much trouble and problems, I'd get out of the business.

But there are avenues to travel in getting items fixed or replaced.

You have to call the right numbers and talk to the right people.

AND ALWAYS stay calm, patient, and expectant.
Nights camped 2016 = 25
Nights camped 2017 = 13
Nights camped 2018 = 3
Timex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 08:28 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Jcavery- forest river is just like all the other trailer manufactuers, they use components from other manufacturers for slides, axles, etc. You will unfortunately have these same issues with any manufacturer. I too am frustrated with slide issues but have learned how to get the work done quickly at the dealership. I learned a lot with my first tt (a crossroads/thor product) about how to light a fire under a dealership without being rude or angry. That has helped me immensely with my current issues and new dealership. Keep after your dealership with frequent check ins on status and delays but stay nice. You will Most likely start to see work times improve. Good luck and I hope your issues are almost all resolved.
asquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 02:07 PM   #10

We are also have a terrible experience with both slides on our 2014 Forest River Columbus Palomino. The wardrobe slide motor broke the second time we operated that slide -- it took four weeks to get it fixed -- and then it broke again after we had the trailer for just three months. The main slide has not worked properly from the beginning, in that each time it is operated, the rear bottom of the slide sticks out about 1/4 to 1/2 inch more each cycle, and the resulting gap at the front bottom of the slide gets bigger each cycle so that we have to stuff towels in the gap to keep bugs and rodents out of the trailer. It also makes a horrible screeching sound, which neither repair shop could fix. Like the wardrobe slide, we've had the main slide "fixed" twice. The last time was in September, and it took over two dozen phone calls to Forest River and the selling dealer to get the main slide fixed. When they finally did work on the slide, they did not address the other issues I had called about (including the spare tire that fell off its mounting, and the middle tire on the passenger side that is worn as though it has 60k miles on it, when it actually has less than 6,200 miles on it). Has anyone else with a Columbus Palomino had problems like this?
TheGreatHA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 09:24 PM   #11

Hi Friends, I have a 2013 Forest River V-Lite Flagstaff wfkss with two slides. Recently it started to squeak and after watching videos like a dummy I did not spray the lube on the side of the rails only the teeth. lol but I have had no problems. I just want to add something after reading and watching videos, remember that is why it is so important to get your Rv or motorhome level before putting the slides out or in. Some can be avoided and others are just bad workmanship by the manufacturer. Regular maintenance is highly important as I am also finding out in my third year as a Rv owner. I understand how frustrating it can be when you buy something new and it breaks. Nothing can get under your skin more than that....God Bless to all and good luck....
fordsuperdutyE350 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
slide, slide out