Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-17-2014, 09:41 PM   #1

Torn Linoleum

Just purchased a 2014 (new) Rockwood 2703WS last Thursday and took it camping over the weekend. We noticed what looked like a scratch caused by slideout #1 (Dinette). Upon returning from camping I took pictures and sent it to the place where we purchased the camper. I brought the slideout out again to show friends the new camper and it has now ripped the linoleum. Has this happened to anyone else and how did Rockwood or salesman handle the problem? It seems that the linoleum goes under everything inside the camper and would be very hard to replace.
TT: Rockwood 2703WS
TV: 2016 Chevy Silverado 2500HD
thanket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 10:06 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by thanket View Post
Just purchased a 2014 (new) Rockwood 2703WS last Thursday and took it camping over the weekend. We noticed what looked like a scratch caused by slideout #1 (Dinette). Upon returning from camping I took pictures and sent it to the place where we purchased the camper. I brought the slideout out again to show friends the new camper and it has now ripped the linoleum. Has this happened to anyone else and how did Rockwood or salesman handle the problem? It seems that the linoleum goes under everything inside the camper and would be very hard to replace.
You're correct, its the second step of assembly when the chassis rolls in the door. The first is the wood substrate covers the entire floor, then the flooring, tile carpet or sheet vinyl. They have ways to cut it out and insert with a matching piece where only you will know where the seams are.
VinceU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 09:04 AM   #3

If they fix it and "only I will know where the seams are" will it show up 5 or 7 years down the road where everyone will be able to see it?
Old 06-18-2014, 09:41 AM   #4

Everything is based on the procedure they take. Some repairs are done very well. Some will show depending on the light cast across the repair. Usually repairs on sheet vinyl are 90 to 95% hidden, depending where in the pattern they cut the material. I was in flooring for 40 yrs. and it can be done in a very hidden fashion. If it was linoleum, you wouldn't hide the seams, because it is a marbleized pattern. If they used linoleum in the rvs, there would be a lot less problems.
Total Bliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 10:37 AM   #5
Plain Old Member

Only time I've ever seen it look fair and last (in RV's) is when they've redone whole rooms. In that case, they added the small shoe moldings around the perimeter where possible. Some people use this opportunity to go back with a nice laminate, hardwood, or Nafco type flooring. If mine ever ripped, it'd wouldn't be the same thing going back in it.
2013 Ford F-350 Lariat CC LB PSD
2015 SOB TT - With OC's Awning Poles (#8)
At least in Heaven, RVs will be perfect, and I won't have to keep fixing them.
BigJohnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 11:37 AM   #6

Wouldn't a laminate or hardwood add a lot of weight to the TT?
Old 06-18-2014, 02:46 PM   #7

Hardwood or laminate would be quite a bit heavier. Not knowing the weight calculation limits for that or any other rv, that would be something to check into first. The problem with any flooring is that it does take a beating. Care must be taken, and that was some of the biggest problems that customers faced. Shoes should never be worn on residential flooring. Felt pads should go under furniture that is moved. It is just the nature of the beast.
Old 06-19-2014, 08:26 AM   #8

Talked to Forest River yesterday. Since it is the wood look flooring he said they will probably cut it out around everything and replace the whole flooring up to the equipment inside the rv. Guarantees the work for the life of ownership. Dealer has been good to work with so far. Everyone knows that that can change in an instant. Fingers crossed.
Old 06-19-2014, 08:52 AM   #9

Good Luck thanket
Old 06-21-2014, 07:55 AM   #10

Picked up the 2703WS yesterday after getting a few minor things fixed. Dealer said that we have 3 options to get the linoleum fixed. 1) He can have his Linoleum guy fix it 2) we can have someone we know fix it and rockwood will pay for it or 3) we can ship the camper back to the factory and they will fix it there. All this will be done in October and after so that we can use the camper all summer. Any opinions out their on which option we should use. I am leaning to number 3. Thanks
Old 06-21-2014, 08:43 AM   #11

Are they willing to replace the "Vinyl Flooring" or just patch? If they say patch, let a local installer fix it. Otherwise send it back to the manufacturer for full replacement. A local installer will be under your supervision. Opposite of the dealer. How big is the damage? I can tell you about the amount of time it will take to repair it.
Old 06-21-2014, 09:09 AM   #12

I was told by the warranty representative at forest river that they would probably cut out the flooring over the whole floor up to the stove, carpet, etc.... and replace the whole piece that does not go under things. It is the wood flooring not the tile so they said it would be hard to match and they would have to do the whole thing. The tear is about 9-12 inches long.
Old 06-21-2014, 09:16 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by thanket View Post
I was told by the warranty representative at forest river that they would probably cut out the flooring over the whole floor up to the stove, carpet, etc.... and replace the whole piece that does not go under things. It is the wood flooring not the tile so they said it would be hard to match and they would have to do the whole thing. The tear is about 9-12 inches long.
Go with the factory if not too far, they can fix the floor and maybe the only ones who can fix the "cause".
VinceU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 09:18 AM   #14

I took it over to the dealer and they said they found the cause, bent piece of metal under the slide, and cut it off.
Old 06-21-2014, 12:49 PM   #15

Best decision.
Old 06-27-2014, 09:02 AM   #16
Site Team

I have a similar issue with a Wildcat eXtralite 295RSX which I've never brought home. We spent 1 night in the trailer on the dealership lot to shake it down. We found a gouge on the wood-look flooring about 1 ft. in front of the left end of the entertainment center/ kitchen slide. The dealership had their own flooring man come in and fix it a gouge at a time. I saw the fix yesterday and it passed my scrutiny although Mama hasn't seen it yet!

I have a worse issue than an extra piece of metal hanging under the slide. My slide appears to be out-of-square on the leftmost inside corner. The slide comes in easy... but going out is a problem since it appears the out-of-square corner is too tall for the hole in the outside wall of the trailer. That causes the top of that corner to bind and, because the drive system is at the bottom of the slide, the bottom of that corner to drop and gouge the floor. I don't see how this problem can be fixed and the dealership service people have had no success in contacting factory personnel.

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 = 111/'19 = 86/'20 =108/'21 = 115/'22 = 135/'23 = 78; Booked for 2024 = 69
Mr. Dan is offline   Reply With Quote