Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-11-2015, 02:32 PM   #1

Ugly colored swimming noodles or

What options are there to put on the bottom edge of slideouts to prevent head knocks or cuts. We currently use swimming noodles with a notch in them to fit. I see Camping World offers a corner guard that is applied with adhesive. It does not cover much of the edge and may not allow slide to snug up tight to camper when closed. Any hints would be appreciated.
Nana Suey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 02:34 PM   #2

I've hit mine so many times I think I'm shorter now. Or just learned the hard way. I believe noodles are the most common quick fix.

Randy and Patty
2015 Sabre 33 CKTS-6 Platinum Edition
Reese 16K Slider hitch
2015 GMC Sierra 3500HD diesel dually
Old car is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 02:46 PM   #3

We use the foam pipe covers from Ace Hardware. They already have a slit down one side, are usually a dark gray or taupe color. They come in different dimensions, but the ones we have are about 2" in diameter with a 1" "hole" where the pipe goes.
Bonus ... can be used to cover hoses if camping in the wintertime.

Happiness is just a ride away!
Sharon455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 03:00 PM   #4

Get something like this. Safety Flag 3 in. x 1,000 ft. Caution Barricade Tape-CBT3 - The Home Depot and a couple clothes pins. Hang a 2 foot piece from each corner of the slide so it is noticed before you bonk your head.
67cudafb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 12:46 PM   #5

The biggest culprit in my case are the corners of the slideouts. I use tennis balls sliced open and place on each corner. No big ugly noodle that way.

2014 Cardinal 3450RL
2011 Ford F350 SD DRW
F.R.O.G. Members
jackdn0610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 01:07 PM   #6

Slide out corners

I was working on my RV and walked around the rear end deep in thought not knowing that my wife put the bedroom slide out. Caught me right at the hairline. Emergency room used staples to close the gap (I suggested Super Glue but they nixed that idea). I counted 10 staples going in (they all hurt because the got mixed up and didn't show up with the shot to deaden the area until the task was done). The doc reloaded the gun and continued stapling. Final staple count was 16 (I counted them when they removed them). I installed the Camping World ones and they work fine, don't fall off and don't impact on the slide out closing. I bang my head all the time ducking under that slide out but no more staples required. BTW I also installed some under counter top corners so I don't have to get our dogs stapled back together.
milvet33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 01:31 PM   #7

I put solar light sticks like the they use on lawns I put them in old cottage cheese containers filled with gravel. I place them on the ground at all four corners of the RV and by the slide outs even at night they keep you out of harms way.
edcronin01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 02:17 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharon455 View Post
We use the foam pipe covers from Ace Hardware. They already have a slit down one side, are usually a dark gray or taupe color. They come in different dimensions, but the ones we have are about 2" in diameter with a 1" "hole" where the pipe goes.
Bonus ... can be used to cover hoses if camping in the wintertime.

Great idea will tell hubby
justwinginit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 02:26 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by edcronin01 View Post
I put solar light sticks like the they use on lawns I put them in old cottage cheese containers filled with gravel. I place them on the ground at all four corners of the RV and by the slide outs even at night they keep you out of harms way.
Wouldn't work for me. I'd end up tripping over or kicking the cheese containers and then bump my head. Swim noodles are the way to go for me.

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
2010 Ford F250 XL Crew Cab 6.4 liter diesel
ATU Local 788
Oakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 02:40 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by milvet33 View Post
The doc reloaded the gun and continued stapling. Final staple count was 16. I installed the Camping World ones
You used the Camping World Staples on your head?
Old 06-12-2015, 02:58 PM   #11

Buy a bump cap. They look like a baseball cap but have a hard plastic liner more stylish then a hard had and will keep your head safe.
caper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 09:04 AM   #12

The head hurts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nana Suey View Post
What options are there to put on the bottom edge of slideouts to prevent head knocks or cuts. We currently use swimming noodles with a notch in them to fit. I see Camping World offers a corner guard that is applied with adhesive. It does not cover much of the edge and may not allow slide to snug up tight to camper when closed. Any hints would be appreciated.
the issue of slides and heads has been going around for some time now, I have used the rubber corner guards for years and they have always worked great. If you feel that the whole edge is not protected they the only way is to use a pool noodle. I also look at the idea of hit and learn from hard knocks, you need to LEARN where the slide is.
Happy Camping
silverback 35ts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 05:26 PM   #13
I owe it all to bacon.

Never had a problem with slides, I just walk into the awning supports. At least twice a year....

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Eklc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 12:24 PM   #14

The bright-colored swimming noodles are ugly, but after I hit my head the first time I grabbed the closest one available and made some corner protectors. They are lime green. I'll probably make new ones if I ever come across a white or black noodle. The DW tells me I always walk with such purpose (like I've got somewhere to go)....I swear, when I hit that corner with my forehead I had to fight back the darkness!
D LBRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 01:55 PM   #15

As the owner of a race car prep shop, we have what we call "Non SFI Roll Bar Padding" in lots of colors. Similar to the foam pipe insulators, but a little harder and oblong (thicker on one side). They also have a split that you cut on one side. They come in every color of the rainbow, but I PREFER the YELLOW. I don't care if they are ugly. I want to SEE them...
They stay in place with no problems. I also like them to overlap the ends a bit so no "hit" cuts the head open....
Jim Schings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 02:16 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan-nickie View Post
You used the Camping World Staples on your head?
I don't think so. If CW staples were used, he wouldn't be here to tell the story. Would have bled to death waiting on the shipping..........
KennyGolub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 02:31 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by KennyGolub View Post
I don't think so. If CW staples were used, he wouldn't be here to tell the story. Would have bled to death waiting on the shipping..........
Made me laugh out loud - thanks!
ProPride Hitch
purduepete97 is offline   Reply With Quote