Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-13-2013, 06:44 PM   #1

use of slide out while pulled in

My wife asked a valid question...and I had no answer ... We have a 21' wolf pack that has the rear slide (king bed, so it isn't a full "room size" slide out). She asked if we could get up in the bed (I am assuming to change bedding, etc) with the slide out pulled into the camper and not in the "out" position. I know we can be in it when it is out...but not sure on the in position! Anyone have any feedback on this??!! Thanks!
AFNurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 06:50 PM   #2

One would think that it couldn't be any worse than the weight of the bed bouncing up and down while travelling.
I know I would never walk on our living room superslide when retracted, but your bedroom slide might be a lot stronger.
Is the inside edge of the slide supported at all when retracted?
bakken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 07:02 PM   #3

No support when retracted (that a person would notice). I have to drop the table and the couch cushions for everything to slide in.... it is suspended from the top by 2 tracts. The bedroom unit is about 3ft tall and is about 3ft off the floor. I have the 2011 21FDWP, think there are pics of this online for better idea of how it is set up.....(I don't have any pics right now!)
AFNurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 07:08 PM   #4

If the slide out is not supported on the inside edge when retracted, then I would not put any extra weight on it. i.e. getting on it to change the sheets, etc...IMHO

2002 GMC Sierra C2500 HD 6.6L Duramax Diesel
2013 Sabre Silhouette 291BHTS
Pat, Michele and 2 old dogs, Shug & Sissy
rowdydog77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 11:07 PM   #5
Always Learning

If it is a flush floor slide that raises up when it comes in, there will be a gap of 1-1 1/2" under the thin plywood between it and the floor. I asked last year and this kind of slide/floor is unsupported when the slide is in - it is *not* ok to be on this slide when it's in/not supported.

However, if the slide floor doesn't raise up, then the slide itself is supported (i.e. if you lay on the floor and look at the bottom of the slide, there is no room between the slide and the floor). This means it is fully supported and is safe to be on.

For instance, my camper and my biggest slide in the living room is a flush floor slide and is unsupported- I don't even stand on this slide to get to the fridge. To get to the fridge, I have to put the slide out to get past the counter. However, my bedroom slide sits on the floor and is fully supported wether it's in or out. We routinely climb onto the bed and get to the closets with the slides in or out.
Old 08-05-2013, 04:32 PM   #6

While we are talking about slide outs, I have noticed a lot of 5thweelers parked at peoples home with the slides out and seemed to be stored that way, is there any advantage to have them parked with the slides out?
I first thought that maybe they just got home, or were getting ready to leave, but have seem them sitting like that for weeks.
Just wondering????
hcondon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 04:58 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFNurse View Post
No support when retracted (that a person would notice). I have to drop the table and the couch cushions for everything to slide in.... it is suspended from the top by 2 tracts. The bedroom unit is about 3ft tall and is about 3ft off the floor. I have the 2011 21FDWP, think there are pics of this online for better idea of how it is set up.....(I don't have any pics right now!)
Hi,
I had a 2005 Keystone Outback 25RSS before the Coachman. There is a site similar to this one that you might want to sign up so you can use the search feature. Outbackers.com
The Ceiling support rails are more of a guide for the slide out. You WILL pull those rails out of the ceiling IMO. Many peolple had issues with the rails failing just traveling down the road.
Many "Outbackers" made supports to keep the rails from failing during travel.
So to answer your question, NO.. Do not put weight on the rear slide when retracted.
crunchman
crunchman12001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 05:33 PM   #8

Check out the Roo section of the forum there is a bunch of info on the rear slide that may answer your question. Search "sleeping on the rear slide when in"
Rooer is offline   Reply With Quote