Old 11-06-2017, 02:02 AM   #1

Cool Water coming in Slide Out when Driving

I have a 2016 Palomino Puma model 253FBS Fifth Wheel. Love the trailer but have found that water gets in on the carpet on the floor at the front of the slide. The wet carpet is under the slide carpet when the slide is closed and the slide carpet appears to stay relatively dry as it sits on top. When I put out the slide after driving in the rain or when the road is wet the carpet at the front of the slide is always wet. It a appears to be coming up from the wheel well and road spray would appear to be the culprit because the carpet gets wet even when there is no rain but the road is wet.

I changed the D seals on the top and sides of the slide but the problem persists. Has anyone else had this type of problem? Does anyone have a suggestion as to how to fix this?

Sailorguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 03:18 PM   #2

Most new units have something similar looking to a garage door seal along the entire bottom of the slide out, might want to check to make sure your is there and sealing correctly. Our 2016 Silverback also has rubber attached at the corners to seal and prevent just this splashing.

Rich5117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 04:42 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich5117 View Post
Most new units have something similar looking to a garage door seal along the entire bottom of the slide out, might want to check to make sure your is there and sealing correctly. Our 2016 Silverback also has rubber attached at the corners to seal and prevent just this splashing.
Thanks for the comment, I will have another look. As I recall, there are D seals along the outside perimeter of the top and sides of the slide that only contact when the slide is closed. There are also larger Garage type seals along the top and both sides that wipe along the the outside shell of the slide when it is extending or closing. I do not recall anything underneath but I will check again.
Sailorguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 04:51 PM   #4

Also if you travel with the roof vents open, it will create a low pressure inside trailer and pull water/rain inside anywhere there's an opening.
Yamaha 3000iseb generator:Progressive Ind. EMS-HW30C : Eastern Ontario
Nights Camped:2012(36) 2013 (17) 2014 (18) 2015 (18) 2016 (36) 2017 (32) 2018 (42)
fonzie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 05:09 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich5117 View Post
Yes, this is most likely where water gets thrown up by the tires and pushed past the wiper seal.
Old 11-08-2017, 03:52 PM   #6

Mine gets wet at the bottom corner. The seal gasket on the bottom goes all along the bottom but stops at the corners where they put a plastic corner piece with a lot of foam padding. The foam padding did not quite cover the whole corner. The last time I had it in for maintenance they put more foam padding. I have not driven it anywhere yet when it has rained so I do not if that fixed it.
lmiken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 04:04 PM   #7

You can go out at night with a trouble light or hand held light and put it into the wheel wall, then look behind the wheel well and in the slide-out for where light comes through. Use spray expanding foam to fill up any open areas.

We didn't have this problem but had one storage compartment that got wet enough for standing water, and we could never figure out why until I did this. I found open gaps in several areas that I used spray foam for and then caulked all around the outside edges. No problems since.
Old 11-11-2017, 12:02 AM   #8
Crookedread

Another problem that looks similar is that when you bring in the slide out, you trap water inside the outer seal. I had water like you but it was from the top of the slide out. Look at RoundButte.com for the details.
crookedread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 04:14 PM   #9

Mine leaks at the upper front corner when i washed it off, with it closed

John Jones is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
slide, slide out, water