Old 07-21-2016, 08:53 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by B and B View Post
With Slide Toppers we have no water on the slide at all. Second trailer with slide toppers and I highly recommend them.
X2, we had them installed when we ordered our 2016 26VFKS. You might still get some moisture and/or debris with the toppers but it will be minimal.
The alternative is get up on the roof or a ladder and sweep them off before retracting them. If you don't want to get on a ladder or the roof, you can get a 16ft telescoping pole from Lowes or H. Depot that has a thread to accommodate a screw on broom head. You might be able to use it to sweep that moisture/debris off.

Old 07-21-2016, 08:53 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by pledbetter View Post
I was told that the slide covers make the rv hotter! True?
Actually, the slides will stay cooler. The slide topper keeps the sun off the top of your slide. It also creates an air gap between the slide and the topper, providing some (if minimal) insulation.

We didn't get slide toppers right away on ours. We had to carry a broom and ladder to sweep off the slides every time we brought them in (sticks, leaves, water, critters, etc.). With the toppers, we no longer need to do that. Pull them in and go.

61 nights in 2016
10 nights so far in 2017
ben31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 10:01 AM   #23

Quote:
Not true. Cooler if anything. But they do have other downsides. We had slide toppers on our last rig and and had them get torn up twice in storms. Plus on very windy nights the flapping will keep you up. We intentionally didn't get them on our current rig and haven't missed them a bit.
Reese Fifth Airborne air ride king pin coupler with Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 10:15 AM   #24
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Just the opposite.
Old 07-22-2016, 06:56 AM   #25

There are many ways to stop the flapping in heavy winds. Just search on standing water or flapping of toppers. We tie ours down with a cheap rope and bungees. Easy, fast, and it works for both "issues."
61 nights in 2016
10 nights so far in 2017
ben31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 07:21 AM   #26
Georgia Frog Rally 2017

Slide toppers are the way to go. I've had them on last 3 campers. Later RJD
2015 Chevy 2500 6.0 4:10 gearing.
Days booked for 2016--60 missed by 2
Days camped in 2016 58
Days booked so far in 2017 37
aceinspp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 07:23 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero1zw View Post
Silly question
We were dry all weekend however AC runoff was dripping onto slide. Didn't think much of it so when we packed up to go we brought slide in and alot of water stayed on slide and splashed all over inside unit. I'm curious is this normal or should seals act as a squeegee and push water off slide when bringing the slide back in ?
Yes,with the 2pc gutter your chances of having a Leak are 99.9% at the joint area! Now in regards to Water on the slide that is 100% when it Rains! Slide Toppers HELP but a blowing rain will Still enter the slide Top! Slide toppers will make the Slide Roof Cooler! Slide Toppers help keep "fall from the Sky Items off the Slide roof"! Toppers have Many More +++ than ----! Youroo!!
Old 07-22-2016, 08:31 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben31 View Post
There are many ways to stop the flapping in heavy winds. Just search on standing water or flapping of toppers. We tie ours down with a cheap rope and bungees. Easy, fast, and it works for both "issues."
I agree. You can do that to decrease the noise and water retention. If I ever get to the point where I am at one location for more than a week at a time before moving I might look at toppers again. For now I'm at a point that if a piece of equipment has to be modified to get it to work as intended every time I set up I find I don't really need it. Guess I'm just lazy that way
Reese Fifth Airborne air ride king pin coupler with Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 02:13 PM   #29

I bought one of these for the slide tops.Debris and water,no problem.

Ryobi ONE+ 150 mph 200 CFM 18-Volt Lithium-Ion Hybrid Cordless or Corded Blower/Sweeper-P2170 - The Home Depot

2011 Ram Mega Cab 3500 Larimie dually
2016 Chaparral 370FL
DaveandSue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 03:10 PM   #30

On our previous trailer when putting the slide in during rain it would allow small amounts of water to leak inside. Thought a stick would be holding the top seal open so from a ladder I could see the seal was flipping from out to in and not all at the same time so the spot where it flips was letting water in. I concidered waxing the top of the slide out in an attempt to make a slick surface so the squeegie type seal would not flip but instead just opted for wiping the inside with a dry dish towel.
The tt we have now doesn't do it nor have I examined the seal. It could be related to as mentioned earlier in the post the height of the entire slide out so the seal isn't being bent against the top of the slide out. If the seal was higher or the slide out lower it may not crease as it flips when the direction of the slide changes.

2014 Jeep SRT...did not trade
Simplewon is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
slide, slide out, water