Old 03-16-2016, 09:53 PM   #1

Weird Occurence with Landing Gear and Slides

Tonight we gave the new Vengeance a good bath and put it in its place underneath the barn shelter. Its all tucked away for a few weeks. But I had something odd happen when lowering the landing gear to unhook.

Once both legs reached the ground and resistance was felt, the bedroom slide slowly started to come out. I stopped, went inside and retracted the slide. Then went back out to the landing gear and finished up the unhooking process. The bedroom slide wasn't completely in so I went back in and finished retracting it.

Its fine now. Camper's sitting perfectly underneath the barn and all slides are all the way in. But will this occur again? I don't know.

I assume they run off the same 12V system. They certainly sound the same. But what would make a slide start coming out when the landing gear meets resistance lifting the front end up? Nothing was out of the ordinary. I was running solely on the battery and the truck as I hadn't plugged into shore power by then.

Former Forest River Campers:
2004 Puma 30FQSS
2010 Sabre 31QBDS
2014 Work & Play 30WRS
KFX450RXC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 10:15 AM   #2
Head Rambler

It could have been a hydraulic valve not completely seated and when the system started building pressure it sent a little fluid to the slide cylinders and caused it to extend a little. Once you operated the solenoid the valve probably seated properly and then everything worked correctly.

There's not telling if it was a one time thing of if there's something wrong with the valve and it'll stick again. You'll know after a few more actuations.

Old 03-17-2016, 05:47 PM   #3

Thanks Bama. I will keep an eye on it. Our next trip isn't for four weeks. If it occurs again, I'll revive this thread.

Former Forest River Campers:
2004 Puma 30FQSS
2010 Sabre 31QBDS
2014 Work & Play 30WRS
KFX450RXC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 06:06 PM   #4

I just tried to put my slides in, and the large one would not come in. Both always come at the same time. Do u need the jacks down before u put them up, or does it matter. This is the first time it has happened. I got outside and pushed, and it came in. It took several attempts?
Old 03-18-2016, 01:53 PM   #5

Send a message via Skype™ to Boots49
Check for an oil leak.I had one on the long slide of our Wildcat(Puss) & it took 2 months for the oil to work its way out to where you could see it.

Al & Susanne
Aka: Puss 'n Boots
Wildcat 31 TS - Silverado 2500 DuraMax Diesel
Tip of the Day: Stay safe, have fun and never leave the cat out in the rain!
Boots49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 05:08 PM   #6

FR has used a full hydraulic system for there slides for some time, and newer units with the hydraulic jacks, so in your story it seems as the diverter valve was stuck open and allowing pressure to go other then the jacks and the bed if like mine opens first (smallest/lightest) so it opened a little.
And yes you are correct same pump just a valve to make this or that open and close.
So i hope this helps and Happy camping

silverback 35ts is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
slide, slide out