Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-02-2016, 06:46 AM   #1
Boo

wet floor over tires on both slide outs

I have just hauled for 2 days in some good rain and when I opened up on arrival I found my carpet wet it seems over the tire area on my slideouts.Anyone out there experience this; The rest of the carpet area away form the tires is dry
boo798 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 07:50 AM   #2

You don't say anything about your trailer, including brand or how old it might be, but FR had a problem with some brands/models where there wasn't enough clearance between the tires and the top of the wheelhousing. The tires rubbed on the plastic liner, and could rub holes in it. If that happened, it would follow that the plywood floor could get wet and soak through to the carpet.

Was it wet on both sides? Do you have slide-outs on both sides? Possibly a seal on the slide is leaking?
2021 Chevy Silverado 3500HD DRW 4X4 Duramax
“It's not how old you are, it's how you are old.”Jules Renard
"It's not the years...it's the mileage." - Indiana Jones
Capt. Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 09:25 AM   #3

Let me add to Capt. Mike's answer. My 2013 Flagstaff had less than one inch between the tires and fender wells. I also had started to have the wet floor as you. At Goshen, FR dropped the axles, added a 2.5 inch spacer/lift kit, relined the wheel wells, replaced the slider seal and end dust seals. Solved the wet floor problem completely. As stated, FR is aware of the problem and was more than happy to solve it. Four techs under my TT about 1.5 hours, on uneven sloping grass field. WOW! Great service.
According to FR the problem occurred when my model was upgraded from 14" to 15" tire/wheels. Some frames were still in stock with a shorter axle mounting pad. Hopefully your dealer will be of some assistance. I would suggest a call directly to FR to keep the dealer honest.
Travel safe

I Catch Fish......What is your SuperPower?
FordHauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 06:27 AM   #4
Boo

thanks Capt Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Mike View Post
You don't say anything about your trailer, including brand or how old it might be, but FR had a problem with some brands/models where there wasn't enough clearance between the tires and the top of the wheelhousing. The tires rubbed on the plastic liner, and could rub holes in it. If that happened, it would follow that the plywood floor could get wet and soak through to the carpet.

Was it wet on both sides? Do you have slide-outs on both sides? Possibly a seal on the slide is leaking?
We are in a 2011 Blue Ridge 3025 and we do have water on both sides at the slide out where the wheels are, Nothing behind the wheel area of the slide, Do you happen to know what models where having problems.
Old 01-03-2016, 06:49 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by boo798 View Post
We are in a 2011 Blue Ridge 3025 and we do have water on both sides at the slide out where the wheels are, Nothing behind the wheel area of the slide, Do you happen to know what models where having problems.
I am aware that Rockwood and Flagstaff, which are both built in the same plant, had this problem on travel trailers including Mini-Lite, Windjammer and obviously, from FordHauler's response, some 5th wheel models. Not sure about other brands, but a call to the Blue Ridge Service rep, Dan Dobecki, phone number (574) 206-7609) in Elkhart, IN would be a good place to start.

Good luck!
2021 Chevy Silverado 3500HD DRW 4X4 Duramax
“It's not how old you are, it's how you are old.”Jules Renard
"It's not the years...it's the mileage." - Indiana Jones
Capt. Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 06:54 AM   #6
Boo

thanks Capt Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Mike View Post
I am aware that Rockwood and Flagstaff, which are both built in the same plant, had this problem on travel trailers including Mini-Lite, Windjammer and obviously, from FordHauler's response, some 5th wheel models. Not sure about other brands, but a call to the Blue Ridge Service rep, Dan Dobecki, phone number (574) 206-7609) in Elkhart, IN would be a good place to start.

Good luck!
I will give him a call tomorrow.Thanks again for your help
Old 01-03-2016, 01:21 PM   #7

I have the same problem with my 2015 Rockwood Roo 23IKSS. Floor wet after driving in the rain. The dealer worked on it a bit but not solved. I contacted the factory rep and he asked that I give the dealer another chance to fit it then if not corrected it will go back to the factory. I cannot believe they do not have an inner fender on these where the slide out seal is right over the tires. On my unit that is both sides since it is a two slide hybrid. Nice trailer except for this.
Old 01-03-2016, 03:53 PM   #8
Maron

Send a message via Yahoo to Maron
We have a 2014 Rockwood 8329 and noticed a wet spot over the curb side slide on our last trip. In 2 years of owning it, this was the first time we drove thru rain. Hmmmmm
Maron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 07:20 PM   #9
Happy Keystone Owner

My Coachmen dinette slide would leak every time I drove in the rain. Water would run the length of the sweep seal come in at the rear. I added a second seal and haven't been wet since. There was also enough room to put my fingers past the seal all the way up to my knuckles...good place for mice to get in.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2863.jpg
Views:	260
Size:	268.0 KB
ID:	97209

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2864.jpg
Views:	238
Size:	311.4 KB
ID:	97210

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2866.jpg
Views:	241
Size:	260.1 KB
ID:	97211

Years camping....55
dbarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 09:35 AM   #10
Boo

What did you use

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbarr View Post
My Coachmen dinette slide would leak every time I drove in the rain. Water would run the length of the sweep seal come in at the rear. I added a second seal and haven't been wet since. There was also enough room to put my fingers past the seal all the way up to my knuckles...good place for mice to get in.Attachment 97209

Attachment 97210

Attachment 97211
What did you use for your seal. It looks like door seal? Any worries about catching on original seal? I can't make out what you are showing in the first two photos.It looks like a great fix.
Old 01-05-2016, 10:20 PM   #11
Happy Keystone Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by boo798 View Post
What did you use for your seal. It looks like door seal? Any worries about catching on original seal? I can't make out what you are showing in the first two photos.It looks like a great fix.
Adhesive backed foam door/window seal found in any hardware store. The sweep seal gets pulled in when the slide closes and back out when extended so the aluminum angle never touches it.

First two photos is the seal with the slide closed and the seal is sealed to the edge of the floor.

I used a piece about 4 inches long with the foam attached to mark the underside of the slide where I wanted locate the full length angle. You can still see the white line.

Years camping....55
dbarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 11:54 PM   #12

I have the Rockwood 8329SS and have the same issue with water coming up through the corner of the slide out above the tires when it rains. We got quite a lot of water from the kitchen slide out and had to stuff towels in the corner while driving. I am taking it to the dealer next Mondy and hope that they know how to fix it.
lakejumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 07:03 AM   #13
Boo

Found the fix

Thanks everyone for all your help and thoughts on this issue. I finally found a tech who specialized in seals at Campersworld Ft Myers. He showed me how to fix my issue on one of their used 3025's. The unit was built with the wrong size sweep seals under my slide outs . They where actually 1 inch shorter than what should have been installed. Because I had not moved it before there is no way I would have known the issue. So I purchased the new sweep seal 140.00 and replaced it. In contact with Forest River and asked if they would reimburse my parts cost but because warranty is over I don't think I will have much luck. Again thanks for all the help
Old 01-21-2016, 07:37 AM   #14

I had the same issue with my Cherokee. The slide seal was directly above the tire, what was happening was the tire was throwing water up in between the seal. I made a shield that hides the seal from the tire, this keeps the water off the seal and out of the trailer. this was 10 years ago!

Better to have a bad day of camping than a good day at work!
Dodge Guy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
slide, slide out, tire, tires