Old 05-08-2018, 08:54 PM   #1

What Does the Slide Ride ON?

I have a 2006 Wildwood 31ft bunkhouse. My living room slide has some water damage in the rear corner and along the side wall to the point the wall is not attached to the floor from the front inside halfway back to the corner. The screws have rusted away and the bottom wall support is obviously rotted. The OSB floor is dark and compromised exactly where the dinette seat is. It is not rotted to the point of flaking but is not strong enough to hold to the floor.
The outside lag bolts are missing where the slide bar attaches to the slide for about 3 feet, I assume they fell out from the bad wood.
In looking at all of this and searching youtube, I am trying to determine what the slide contacts as it moves in and out of the camper. I cannot find any rollers. It appears the black water barrier just slide along the floor.
The only thing I can see is a piece of white teflon looking plastic on the bottom edge of the camper body for the lenght of the slide opening. It seems to be the part the may take the brunt of the load.
I am asking because I am looking for resistance points when the slide moves. I have had to replace the roller gears in each side of the slide arms.
I am getting popping when the slide moves.
What am I missing and where to look next

tvengineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 06:45 AM   #2

Usually the slide box rides on a set of rollers that are sunk into the main floor and are just barely above floor lever. From your description it sounds like you need to remove the slide box and repair it.

2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 09:27 AM   #3

Are these rollers visible from any point? I looked with the room extended and the outside flap pulled down and I could not find a roller at all. Only the white plastic piece the width of the slide in the frame bottom. I stuck my hand in there and ran along the floor as far back as I could and did not feel anything.

Seems like the water damage on the side of the slide has caused the floor to sag and the wall to separate causing the slide to catch there.
Old 05-09-2018, 09:45 AM   #4

Hopefully I attached a picture.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Floor water damage.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	353.9 KB
ID:	171238  
Old 05-09-2018, 01:08 PM   #5

Some slides do slide on plastic bars in the floor of the RV. Some are short segments and others are the width of the slide.
sasems is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 02:07 PM   #6

This guy did two video's of his slide work might be worth your watching this link is to #2 that shows the rollers. Good luck

2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 08:00 PM   #7

I watched both parts 1 & 2. Very interesting. Looks like he added rollers where he had the slide bar like I do. I do not believe I have any rot on the frame of the camper.
I am hoping after I get my floor and framing repaired in that side and corner that the slide will operate properly again. Seems like there is too much damaged wood there now for it to work correctly.
Old 05-09-2018, 08:32 PM   #8

Also, the lag bolts that hold the room to the slide bar. When I get things back together, are the lag bolts all supposed to be tight up against the bottom of the bar? I ask because all but 1 (that was left in the good wood) , the head was a little less that a quarter inch from making contact with the bar. I snugged them up and they seemed to tighten up into solid wood. Seems to me they should be tight. No slack.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	lag bolts.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	243.1 KB
ID:	171317  
Old 05-13-2018, 08:03 AM   #9

I have found construction interesting while trying to figure out how to fix my slide. Several pictures and videos I have seen of the slide floor show the waterproof matting wrapped around the floor then screwed up to the bottom of the slide. Mine appears to have the wrap go up the side wall. They seem to have left out a 2x2 at the rear bottom.
I don't know if this is "ass'ed", "half ass'ed" or on purpose construction. I just need to figure out the best way to fix it.

I am going to try and document my repair as I go if anyone is interested.

The picture should be rotated counter clockwise but I could not get it right. The wall should be to the right, not the bottom.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Floor-wrap1.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	347.0 KB
ID:	171702  

Tags
slide