Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-15-2014, 07:55 PM   #1

What is this?

Looked under the large slide and saw the black material is worn off. What is this material? Why is my slide scraping it off? What can I do? it is past year warranty. Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1394931334.415040.jpg
Views:	355
Size:	34.0 KB
ID:	47794
mstell2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 08:07 PM   #2
Plain Old Member

That doesn't look like Darco. Is that a Flagstaff or Rockwood fifthwheel? Got a wider view picture of the area? I'm guessing this is under a flush floor slide, which means something on the ramp is cutting it, ramp being the flush floor trough the slide drops into. Not sure how yours is configured, but ours has a teflon looking strip that the slide floor rides on when it comes in. My suggestion, for now anyway, is bump your slide in till it just comes up the ramp (4" or so in) where you can see if there is anything there (like a screw head) that could be causing the tear.

Off topic, you aren't that far from us if in Port Barre, LA.
2013 Ford F-350 Lariat CC LB PSD
2015 SOB TT - With OC's Awning Poles (#8)
At least in Heaven, RVs will be perfect, and I won't have to keep fixing them.
BigJohnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 08:15 PM   #3

It's a rockwood, I'll have to try and get a better pic in daylight. Yeah we live in port barre, Florine is a few hours away, but not that far. I'll try to check slide soon.
Old 03-15-2014, 08:34 PM   #4
Plain Old Member

OK. As long as that tear is not near the edge, and / or will not get wet, it's not going to affect a whole lot. But, there is definitely something that the floor rides on that is snagging it.

Actually we're in Pine Prairie (Crooked Creek Park). I just corrected that in my profile. We just have a shop in Florien.
Old 03-15-2014, 08:41 PM   #5

It's in the center of the slide front to back but about a foot from outside wall. I think it is in the camper when traveling. Will double check tomorrow. Yep that is not far at all, we camp a lot at chicot and some times crooked creek. Might go to chicot this weekend
Old 03-15-2014, 08:52 PM   #6
Plain Old Member

Hopefully you'll find something. That'll at least solve what caused it. Then on to fixing it may be a bigger challege. I won't be home till April 2nd, but we'll be at Crooked Creek until sometime in May. Never know, may cross paths somewhere. I'm sure you've passed right by the house we sold at the intersection of Hwy 13, 106 and CC parkway 1 mile north of Pine. Silver metal roof with a 20x50' shop by it.
Old 03-15-2014, 09:36 PM   #7

Looked at it, it seems the black is a paint like coating, it is rubbing on a plastic "guide?" Maybe the paint started chipping and only got worse. Might have to call RV place to see what that coating is.
Old 03-15-2014, 09:47 PM   #8
Plain Old Member

Guess I never looked REAL close at the underside of the Rockwood slides. If it's just a paint type coating, I'm sure it'd be easy to fix. I'm guessing if you got it local it was from Primeax's or maybe Berryland. Don't know anything about either one's service, but hoping they can answer the question as to what the stuff is and how it can be repaired. I'm not sure if he knows the answer, but I'd bet that user OldCoot might know. He's got a Flagstaff, but I believe that's pretty much the same thing with a different badge. Might send him a PM, or move this thread over to the Rockwood / Flagstaff section.
Old 04-09-2014, 07:02 AM   #9
Site Team

Is that paint or a plastic sheeting of some kind? Could that be from a roller?Darco tape may cover it and hold up for awhile. I know far to well about http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ing-45789.html

Zelda the campin dog
Platokidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 07:11 AM   #10

It's up paint like coating on the bottom of the slide that's chipping right on top of the Teflon block. But the Teflon block has no burrs or anything on it is fine I think is just a bad material. Thinking about putting on a good two coats of automotive paint and then putting on a coat of liquid graphite so we can slide on that. We used some liquid graphite in our grain carts on the farm to help the grain slide.
Old 04-09-2014, 07:15 AM   #11
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstell2 View Post
It's up paint like coating on the bottom of the slide that's chipping right on top of the Teflon block. But the Teflon block has no burrs or anything on it is fine I think is just a bad material. Thinking about putting on a good two coats of automotive paint and then putting on a coat of liquid graphite so we can slide on that. We used some liquid graphite in our grain carts on the farm to help the grain slide.
Graphite (slip plate) may rub off on your floor inside, one heck of a mess. On one of my slide with out the darco wrap I was told they used a bed liner material. Like the kind you spray on your pick-up truck bed. make sure you prime the area first if you try that.
Or a piece of Masonite could work. They also make plastic skies or wear strips normally found on the slide ends, easy to cut to fit. A dealer could help you get those.

Zelda the campin dog
Platokidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 08:05 AM   #12
Site Team

Quote:
Looked under the large slide and saw the black material is worn off. What is this material? Why is my slide scraping it off? What can I do? it is past year warranty. Attachment 47794
I have a 2013 Rockwood 8282ws fiver in Natchitoches should you need to look under one to compare. Don't know if it'll help but the offer is made.

Sent from David's RAZR M.

dcheatwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 02:52 PM   #13

Thanks for the offer might have to make the drive up there one day. Forest River told me they no longer use the material that is on my slide out anymore they use something else go figure.
Old 04-12-2014, 12:11 AM   #14

This appears to be what the bottom of my slide looked like when I bought my FR Grand Surveyor, used. IF, and only IF, your slide has the "Lippert under sofa" slide unit then you may have the same problem I had. There is some type of tightly woven cloth that is glued on to the bottom of the slide unit. The Lippert under-sofa mechanism's have rollers, I have two of them, that the slide unit rolls on when moving. These rollers eat into the black material, tear the material up in a short time then the rollers start to wear away the wood sub-floor of the slide unit. The rollers on mine would not turn so I had to remove these roller units to clean them up so the rollers would turn. I attached sheet metal strips to the underside of the slide unit for the rollers to roll on.
Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 09:30 AM   #15

The "rollers" on mine are Teflon blocks that don't roll. I'm going to try an enamel type paint and see how that works. Guy at shop said it's like a thin plastic coating and maybe it had an air bubble in it. It is only coming off where it rubs on the roller block. Checked the block and it is smooth no burrs or screw heads to cut the material. And now forest river doesn't use that same material anymore.
Old 04-12-2014, 09:44 AM   #16
Mod free 5er

Quote:
The "rollers" on mine are Teflon blocks that don't roll. I'm going to try an enamel type paint and see how that works. Guy at shop said it's like a thin plastic coating and maybe it had an air bubble in it. It is only coming off where it rubs on the roller block. Checked the block and it is smooth no burrs or screw heads to cut the material. And now forest river doesn't use that same material anymore.
I doubt that any paint will hold up to a roller or slide block. I would suggest a thin metal strip for longevity.