Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-08-2017, 08:58 AM   #1

When to stop the slide out

I have two Lippert slide outs that I have always wondered if I am opening and closing correctly, I have spoken to the dealer but still not sure, I watch the slide carefully and stop just at the point it settles and I hear a quick ratchet click, I am told this is normal, The other slide does not seem to ratchet the same way, at least I am afraid to hold it too long when I see the slide seal and the wall slightly move. I have been stopping it when I feel the seal is tight, it's almost as if it would keep going if I hold the button, a tech looked at it and said to stop it when it seals, my main question is what do other campers do? the lippert manual Says to hold the switch until the slide stops moving but I am afraid of damaging the wall. Any advise would be appreciated
NOREASTRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 09:05 AM   #2

Run it till the motor bogs down......

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 09:10 AM   #3

Thanks, I have a wardrobe slide made my Schwintek and that is easy to determine, it bogs down as you mentioned
Old 06-08-2017, 09:13 AM   #4
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Slides come in various configurations.
Some click at the end of their travels, some don't.

If yours clicks, then stop as soon as you can after one or two clicks. This is normal, just as you were told. If you have a slide that doesn't click, it could be a Schwintek and you have to hold the button a few seconds after end of travel to keep the motors in sync. Some slides simply stop at the end of travel and you just release the button as quickly as possible. They are usually protected by a circuit breaker so you likely won't damage it but bumping up against the breaker each time can shorten its life.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 09:31 AM   #5

I have two types of slides. The main ones have a quick thumping (as you said ratcheting) noise, when they are fully deployed or retracted. The bedroom slide stops itself, once it is fully deployed or retracted.

There are many different types of slides and each type works a little differently.
Never Enough Time Camping!!
ben31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 09:56 AM   #6

The one in question is like the other, it's a Lippert, one ratchets when opening and the other seems like it is not going to or anywhere close to when it should, I wonder if I can look under and check the ratchet to make sure it is working correctly, I would imagine it ratchets like a drill with the ratchet adjustment, I just don't know if this one is sensing the pressure because you can tell it is pushing on the walls, I believe it ratchets when closing though,
Old 06-08-2017, 11:51 AM   #7

Some of the coaches manufacturers used LCI "track and gear" style for their slides.

The system consisted of at least 4 motors, gears, and tracks. Two set on each side (one on top and one on the bottom of the slide). Some of the coaches that have "longer and heavier slides) may be used up to 3 motors, gears, and tracks on each side of the slide (2 on top and 1 on the bottom of the slide) for the total of 6 per slide.

During the time I research for my new RV, I have done many types of research for almost 2 years on the different brand of RV and the mechanic of how the slides were handled and found that company like Thor and others had too many problems with the so-called "tracks and gears" system to handle their slide. The parts are often worn out early, broke or bind due to loss of the synchronization between the motors on each side of the slide.

From the beginning, Thor only has 2 motors, 2 tracks, and 2 gears on each side of any one slide, and some slides are too heavy that it often cause the tooth on the tracks and gears to break or bind. They then go to the 3 tracks, 3 gears and 3 motors on each of any one slide and seems that the problem reduced tremendously, but I still not convinced that the durability of the metal against metal on the "track and gear" system was for me. That is why I love my hydraulic system on my GT XL slides. That does not mean I will not have any problem, which I did from the beginning due to the valve seal/o-ring was cut by the debris left inside the valve cylinder during the manufacturing process (bad quality control). The valve failed after I used the hydraulic for the slides and jacks roughly 5 or 6 times. But once it works after the warranty fixed, it will hardly cause any more issue. I have been open and close my slides and jacks so many times that I lost count and they are still performing flawlessly (knock on wood).

That said, back to the "tracks and gears", to make sure your tracks and gears last as long as possible with no binding, you must:

1 - Only open or close the slide "ONLY AND ONLY" when you coach is "PERFECTLY LEVELED", so the gear and motor do not have to work hard to push and pull your slide. This would also prolong the motor as well as the wear and tear of the gears and tracks.

2 - Make sure when you extended or closing your slides, do not stop in the middle. Stop in the middle will cause the motor "off" its synchronization. You MUST BE FULLY EXTENDED or RETRACTED, then some more. The word "SOME MORE" meant you must hold your switch up or down depending on your extend, or retract an additional 2 to 3 seconds so the motors could find and lock into its synchronization point. If the motor can not find its synchronization point, you may or will have a problem with the slide on the following operation which could cause binding or even over torque the gear teeth or break the tooth on the track due to the binding or excessive load.

Note that you may not have Thor motorhome or slides, but all motorhome manufacturers that use LCI mechanical slide apparatus would have to follow the same operating rule because LCI only makes one type of "track and gear" system for all manufacturers.

Hope this explanation would help. If you have different type of LCI system, please ignore the above.
tamdle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 11:54 AM   #8

Note that should you have your motors "out of synch", you do not have to call anyone. LCI installation does come with an LCI control panel which allows you to re-synch your motors. You just need to explore your manual to find this section.
tamdle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 12:12 PM   #9

On our Lippert slide drive there is a overrun clutch, it is basically two circular spring loaded plates with several detents with balls that couple the plates together. This is the ratcheting noise you hear when at full extension, or retraction, it is "Normal" . We just bring it in and try to stop before it ratchets or stop as soon as it does.. Most times only 1-2 clicks.
Burk
Burk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 02:40 PM   #10
Global Nomad

Slide on Cedar Creek

On my 3 slide Cedar Creek, The manual says run until a change in sound of motor. This runs the slides all the way out, plus 2 seconds.
2016 Cedar Creek 36CKTS (Center Kitchen Three Slides)

Scheinin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
slide, slide out