Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-31-2015, 09:13 AM   #1

wood showing under slide out

We have a 2014 Prime Time Sanibel 5th wheel. Underneath the edge of our dining/living slide out, there is wood exposed. It hasn't gotten any worse. Has anyone had this problem? Trying to find out how this happened. We are thinking the slide needs to be adjusted.

I appreciate any assistance.
Tillville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 09:27 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tillville View Post
We have a 2014 Prime Time Sanibel 5th wheel. Underneath the edge of our dining/living slide out, there is wood exposed. It hasn't gotten any worse. Has anyone had this problem? Trying to find out how this happened. We are thinking the slide needs to be adjusted.

I appreciate any assistance.
I don't have a Sanibel, but had a deep scrape that took the paint off and put a gouge in the underfloor. I found that the screws holding down the neo bar was digging in the floor when I let it out or in. I countersunk the neo bar and reinstalled the screws below the top. Filled the gouge and repainted. That's been a year ago, no more problems. Might be your problem just guessing. I have been under that slide so many times I know of every screw and part under there. It really upset me to see that and not know what was causing it. Might take a little detective work on your part. Also a picture might help and get you a better answer...Good Luck PS: you do need to figure it out, if you start to get water in that floor it will rot away on you.

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 11:21 AM   #3

Pic of underneath

Here is a pic of the area underneath slide.
Old 08-31-2015, 11:25 AM   #4

Quote:
Here is a pic of the area underneath slide.
Sorry NO picture attached

Old 08-31-2015, 11:42 AM   #5

Can't seem to post pic. First time using this site.
Old 08-31-2015, 12:00 PM   #6
Commercial Member

Why is it that RV companies depend on owners to re-engineer the products they sell?

Could it be because we, the owners don't demand better quality from them?

Would you accept this from Honda, Toyota, Chevy or Ford?
.Write a blog on RV tire application RV Tire Safety. 48 years experience as tire design & forensic engineer. My RV Freelander 23QB on Chevy 4500 chassis. Giving seminars on RV Tire applications (not selling)@ FMCA Conventions. Mar 20-22 Tucson AZ
Tireman9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 01:28 PM   #7
clr

Your slide may need to be adjusted my Sanibel was tearing the underside Darco wrap on the main kitchen side slide. The slide had to be adjusted. I would put some garilla tape in black on the exposed wood until this is fixed.
clr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 02:12 PM   #8

That is what we are thinking. How do they repair area? Do they replace whole bottom?

I talked wth a guy that had this in the middle f their slide out. They put a fix it patch of some sort to repair. He said it happened again and having to go back to get it fixed again.

I guess if they adjust the slide correctly, we shouldn't have this problem again.
Old 08-31-2015, 05:56 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by clr View Post
Your slide may need to be adjusted my Sanibel was tearing the underside Darco wrap on the main kitchen side slide. The slide had to be adjusted. I would put some garilla tape in black on the exposed wood until this is fixed.
Prime time had the same problem with that darco wrap. They installed metal plates over the 2 sides and center area, if that is the same problem. Don't really know why they even have to put it on. Other slides do not have it. Once that gets wet it just going rot the floor out. First Sanibel I heard of this happening to or I missed it before...I for got what unit they had a real problem with, you might try a search on that subject and see what come's up.

Old 08-31-2015, 06:54 PM   #10

What would I search for? I tried searching for wood showing under slide n 5th wheel, but nothing really came up.

I did read one place where they are used to having the underbelly having metal...they had just purchased another RV that doesn't have it and are concerned.
Old 08-31-2015, 07:06 PM   #11

Well, I found a forum on this. It is a long time issue with Forest River, yet they won't do anything to fix it.

Some have fixed it with uhmw poly strips.

Our RV is still under warranty, and we are taking it in at end of month at the dealer where we bought it. I hope they will fix this on all slides so we don't have this problem again. We will see.

Thank you all for your help.
Old 08-31-2015, 07:22 PM   #12

I have a similar problem with my slide out on a new TT. The dealer said that FR left off some slide out rubber gasket at the bottom. It is in for repair. Another example of good manufacture PDI before leaving the factory. I guess the customer has to find the problems for the dealer to fix because of factory not doing their job.
txredfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 07:34 PM   #13

Quote:
What would I search for? I tried searching for wood showing under slide n 5th wheel, but nothing really came up.

I did read one place where they are used to having the underbelly having metal...they had just purchased another RV that doesn't have it and are concerned.
type in the search box DARCO WRAP, there is ton of stuff on it....

Old 08-31-2015, 08:16 PM   #14

Txredfish, did they say how long it will be in for repair?
Old 09-01-2015, 09:09 PM   #15

I have a 2015 Sanibel 3250 and it has the same problem on both slides, more on the kitchen slide.
Most Forest River (also Prime Time) fifth wheel trailers have this problem,
they have a slide out kit available .
This is a warranty issue and you should follow it up with Forest River.
My trailer goes in this fall to have this kit installed.
Hope this helps you!
wamafi43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 09:16 PM   #16
Plain Old Member

Majestic Formed Plastics makes glides (or whatever you want to call them) that go under each end of the slide. That's just one company and the product I've used on our last rig and this one. Some dealerships carry them, or you can get them directly from them. They're pretty inexpensive. Had them installed on last rig and newer one from day 1, no problem. It should be standard on ALL RV's, since most all flush floor slides have this same problem.
2013 Ford F-350 Lariat CC LB PSD
2015 SOB TT - With OC's Awning Poles (#8)
At least in Heaven, RVs will be perfect, and I won't have to keep fixing them.
BigJohnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 09:19 PM   #17
Plain Old Member

Dave Rheinheimer (574) 320-4883 was the last contact I had for a guy with Majestic. Slide out end caps is another name. Some manufacturers have their own version, but are thinner. I prefer the Majestic ones, thicker. A lot have just made their own, which I'll consider in the future.
2013 Ford F-350 Lariat CC LB PSD
2015 SOB TT - With OC's Awning Poles (#8)
At least in Heaven, RVs will be perfect, and I won't have to keep fixing them.
BigJohnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 09:29 PM   #18

Wamafi, I talked with a guy who had that kit put in and is going back into shop again as the kit didn't work.
Old 09-01-2015, 09:32 PM   #19

Big john, thanks for info. Definitely will check into this.
Old 09-01-2015, 09:40 PM   #20

I hope the factory kit works, my trailer is a brand new unit and it had the trouble right from the beginning.
Some of the owners on this forum said that it fixed the problem...
wamafi43 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
show, slide, slide out