Old 07-02-2018, 01:11 PM   #1

Worn shwintek gear rack

The gear rack at the front top of my full wall slide (Forester 3051S) is showing wear right where the slide motor gears sit when the slide is all the way in. None of the other three gear racks show any excess wear. The slide deploys and retracts well, though lately it does seem to be struggling more than it used to on the way out.

When i first had this MH, there was a lot of squeaking in the area that is now worn. The squeaking noise eventually went away. I wonder if that was the gear rail wearing as we traveled down the road?

Anyone have experiencing replacing a gear rack? What will happen if this section continues to erode? Who can reliably replace the rack (I have no trust of repair facilities). Any other advice?

Thanks for your response.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7544.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	240.9 KB
ID:	178074  

Old 07-02-2018, 01:33 PM   #2
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Replacement parts can be obtained directly from LCI.

LCI/Schwintek In-Wall Replacement Parts

Here is a service manual that describes replacing the rails.

Repair Kit Manual

TST Tire Monitor w/Repeater - Sinemate 3500w Gen.

Days Camped: '16=46 '17=30 '18=51 '19=53
5picker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 07:24 AM   #3

My Berkshire is doing the same exact thing. I also think that it is caused from driving on bad roads. I have the parts I bought from FR but have not made the repair yet.
uralman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 09:54 PM   #4

Yes, I have a 2013 3051S. Had to replace the slide mechanism in 2016 and but back then the motors were undersized. Also, the slide was and still is out of tolerance according to Lippert's published requirements. Some of the teeth were chewed up much worse than yours but it still worked but slide would not close all the way in the front. Used pipe insulation to seal the gap to keep water out when traveling. Finally went to dealer that sold Forest River products and they ordered parts through Forest River in order to get discount from Lippert. Dealer just happened to have a person working there that had some experience on the Schwintek slide mechanism. At the time there did not seem to be a lot of people that were familiar with the Schwintek slides. It cost me close to $6000 for what I believe was originally a under designed system for the full wall slide.
Beachfrog is offline   Reply With Quote