Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-19-2016, 10:11 AM   #1
2604WS

yet another slideout question

Morning, have some questions that I hope the collective can shed some light on. Note that I have searched the forum and couldn't find what I was looking for.

First off, we have a '14 Rockwood 2604WS TT. Suffered through a significant storm during out last outing. Noticed that there was some leakage at the bottom right corner of the wardrobe slide. This slide has the Schwintek system. I had checked the seals to make sure they weren't rolled in. Upon getting back home I talked to the dealer service department about bringing it in but they are way out on appointments. He suggested that I re-time the system which I did. While it was retracted I climbed up just to take a look and noticed something that concerned me and may be the cause of my problem, at least in my mind. On the corners of the slide itself, there is a thin rubber strip that is adhered to the top and side membranes. On the top it has separated from the membrane in several spots. Any thoughts on suggested repairs? I can attach some pics if needed for clarity.

On another note, the dinette/sofa slide seems to have shifted. This is the Lippert electric slideout mechanism, not the Schwintek. On one side the seal barely touches the slide while on the other side there is significantly more contact. The service tech said they don't move and if it ain't broke don't try and fix it. After reading posts on this forum I started questioning his knowledge. Or maybe he didn't want to deal with it. Downloaded the Lippert manual and am a little apprehensive about tackling this so we will have to see.

Note that I purchased an extended warranty for this trailer so will have to review the paperwork to see if either of these are covered.

Thanks in advance for your replies.

Kirk
kirkp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 08:34 PM   #2
2604WS

Hoping that posting a pic would help clarify what I'm talking about. Really appreciate some thoughts as we are heading out beginning of October.
Kirk
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	slideout.JPG
Views:	186
Size:	90.3 KB
ID:	120925  
Old 09-21-2016, 11:10 PM   #3

Hey Kirk, The pics do not look good and there should be a tight seal all along the seams of your slide. There are some posts on here about folks who have repaired the seams on their slides. The best product to use is Eternabond. It comes in different widths and is the go to product to fix seams like you have. Check this web site out and search Eternabond repairs on this site. EternaBond RoofSeal

2016 Siverback 33IK, Towed 50K+ mile
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat 6.7L V8 Diesel 4WD Crew Cab

"If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there."
dalford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 10:55 AM   #4
Site Team

That definitely doesn't look good. I'd be worried about how long it's been leaking that you didn't notice it.

Eternabond is a good option once you determine that the wood isn't compromised.
Old 09-22-2016, 01:44 PM   #5
2604WS

I really appreciate the responses. I searched again using Eternabond and seals in different combinations and found some discussions that were somewhat relevant. I'll look into getting some for the repair. I don't BELIEVE this has been going for long. We've been fortunate in that we have had relatively good weather while camping. The leak presents itself by water running across the floor towards the shower. It has only happened twice this year, never in prior years. The first time it happened I thought it was due to the rubber flaps on the side of the slide not being in place. By the time that I went out and fixed them it had stopped raining. This second time led me to suspect something else since I knew the flaps were correct. Now, that doesn't mean that leakage didn't occur that wasn't enough to run across the floor. My initial inspection didn't reveal any soft wood so maybe I've got lucky (wish there was a fingers crossed gif).

I looked at the extended warranty and it talks about gaskets, seals and slide components being covered. I'm going to just go ahead and fix it with Eternabond. My guess is that if there were some issues with the wood being compromised there would be some out they'd come up with saying that I was at fault.

Again, thanks for responding.

Kirk
Old 09-23-2016, 01:10 PM   #6
2604WS

Looks like Eternabond is the way to go but have one more question. Do you think I should pull off the black seal that is in place?
Kirk
Old 10-10-2016, 10:23 PM   #7
2604WS

Wanted to give an update on my leak. I bought some 4" eternabond off amazon. Cleaned the top of both slide outs and looked at the existing sealer since one suggestion was that I should remove it. On the top there were some areas that were pretty well attached. The biggest issue was that on the side there was a piece of trim attached with screws that covered the edge of the sealer and I saw no way to get it off. Put the new sealer on and went camping at Lake Aqhuabi and as luck would have it we are getting rain. The good news is that we are completely dry.

Thanks to everyone for their help.
Kirk
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	165
Size:	101.8 KB
ID:	122655  
Old 10-11-2016, 12:34 PM   #8
Site Team

Thanks for coming back and letting us know what you did to fix it, and especially for the pic.
Old 10-11-2016, 08:43 PM   #9
2604WS

No problem BR. That stuff is pretty slick. One thing I can say is that it is STICKY! Wasted the first piece that I tried to apply due to a stupid mistake of removing the backing and trying to get it into place. Got smarter on the second piece and removed the backing as I went rolling it into place. Used a plastic wall paper seam roller to roll it into place.

Hopefully it will last a good long time.

Kirk

Tags
leak, membrane, seal, slide