Old 02-16-2016, 08:12 AM   #11
get one of these to stop the bike rack from bouncing.

Roadmaster Quiet Hitch for 2" Trailer Hitches Roadmaster Hitch Accessories RM-061

mbienve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 09:04 AM   #12
Don, save your money for something better. If you want to use it for something other than a bike rack it's worthless! We have one on our 29 RE , and this summer I am installing a class 3 type hitch directly to the frame.

Of all the things I've lost in my life the thing I miss the most is my mind!
prairiecamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 09:18 AM   #13
Originally Posted by SilverbackMel View Post
SWAGMAN XTC fits both sizes well.
Still need straps BUT, ez on and off and bikes wheel slots easily adjust.
$167 on Amazon. ( don't scrimp on $$) same mfgr, less expensive, not as good.
Swagman specifically lists which of their carriers are recommended for the back of RVs/fifth wheels, and that one isn't on the list. Instructions say warranty is void if used as such.
2014 Silverback 35QB4
2012 Ram 3500 6.7/slushbox
MIFarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 12:23 PM   #14
There is a hitch on the back of my 2014 Blue Ridge and I used it once and never again. The bikes beat the back wall of the camper and I had used extra straps. I mounted a GoPro and watched how they bounced, stopped the vehicle and took the bike apart and put in back of truck.This hitch is very flimsy and does not have any support to prevent bounce. My last 5er had a 2inch receiver mounter to frame and I towed a boat with no bounce or problems.
2016 Ram3500 4x4 SRW 6.7
2014 Blue Ridge 3125RT
PullRite Super Glide
149252 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 02:42 PM   #15
Be sure to lock the bike rack AND the bikes. Thieves have taken bikes and when they were locked to the rack, they took rack and all LOL
kenenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 03:40 PM   #16

I buy things based upon what I deem to have endurance to get the job done. I have never had a warranty issue on the many racks, bike, motorcycle or carrier in my over 50 years of carrying experience. I have never had to trash one either.

I am pretty confident that Swagman does not recommend specific carriers as strictly a liability disclaimer.

What carrier would recommend aftermarket tie downs? Sales would be zip! We as rv'ers have to modify based on experiences and need.

As previously stated, my "not recommended" carrier has carried our 2 bikes over 4,000 miles across the roughest roads in America. Never any issue after learning how to secure them.
SilverbackMel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 03:48 PM   #17
On my 29rk my first bike rack broke from the bouncing and lost the bikes. I still use the same receiver except it is now bolted and welded back to the bumper. The bumper is really thin and welding alone is not adequate. I made a new rack from 1 1-4 x 1/8 square tubing. I can weld but a shop could do this cheap and easy. I also installed two forged eye bolts near the ends of the bumper and use ratchet straps back to the bumper eye bolts to secure the bikes. No bounce now.
palmetto rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 04:30 PM   #18
I have a 31RK with hitch hulled two bike from Pa to Florida for two yr no trouble. Plus one on a car for bikes.
Dacline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 06:18 PM   #19
We have 2013 Rockwood 2608ws ultra lite TT welded a length of Angle iron to the top and back of bumper and to 4"ibeam frame to beef it up and added a bolt on 2"receiver and use a cargo carrier to carry two electric bike conversions which are 80 lbs apiece. We have traveled thousands of miles the last few years with no problems with bikes or carrier.. This makes a heavy duty set up which can carry multiple bikes or gen or cargo
Joe-Barb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 06:48 PM   #20
Have a 2016 silverback 31rk with same hitch and use a Yakima fold down two up bike rack. Bounces a bit but So far no issues. I also wanted to cut off and put a 2 inch on but was told would void the frame warranty.

hughd033 is offline   Reply With Quote

bike, bike rack, hitch