Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-03-2016, 11:15 AM   #1

12 volt electrical system

We have a 2014 Cedar Creek 36 CKTS that we full time in. We traveled to Merriman, NE where I am working a month ago. We had problems with slides and level up system working in route and on when we got here. Level up said low voltage. We were able to get set up by hooking up battery charger and being plugged in to shore power. Hubby found corrosion on one of the battery posts and cleaned it and off. We have 4 batteries in relay since we have an invertor for residential refrigerator. All batteries show 6.7 volts with meter. Now a month later the furnace is not coming on. Blower doesn't come on at all. Fuse for furnace has only 9.2 volts with meter. Now wondering if converter or other electrical problem. Haven't tried to bring in slides since here till July 2nd. No mobile Rv repair available here. Changed fuse for furnace. Is there a circuit breaker for furnace? Where is converter located and how can you check it? Any help or thoughts appreciated. Thanks

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
KellyT330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 11:25 AM   #2

are you saying that all of these problems are occurring when you are plugged into shore power? If your converter was working the furnace shouldn't care about the batteries since the converter would be supplying the 12 volts for everything. If you have been plugged in for all that time, did you notice that the 12v lights were dimming?

I assume that 6.7 volts means that you have 6 volt batteries. Need a little more information before we can help.

2015 335DS
ScottBrownstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 11:33 AM   #3

Yes all these problems are occurring while plugged into shore power. AC and microwave all work fine. Furnace has been working great. We had snow a week ago and temperatures in 30s all this weekend. Finally getting warmer now.
12 volt LED lights seem normal. Yes we have 4 six volt batteries.

Old 05-03-2016, 11:51 AM   #4

You are measuring 9 volts between the furnace fuse and ground, but your lights are working fine? Is that true of all the fuses on the DC side?

2015 335DS
Old 05-03-2016, 12:04 PM   #5

We disconnected from shore power. Lights worked fine and able to put awning out and back in. Connected shore power again. Now reading from terminals for furnace fuse is 0. Also no longer have red light when fuses are pulled out. Where is ground that you talk about. Thanks

Old 05-03-2016, 12:12 PM   #6

So you are reading ACROSS the connections for the furnace fuse. That should always be 0 if the fuse is good. With the fuse in, measure between either side of the fuse and the metal box that the fuses are in. Stay on the side that has the fuses, not the side that has the breakers. Usually the box will have exposed metal which should be connected to the chassis ground and the battery negative.

2015 335DS
Old 05-03-2016, 01:45 PM   #7

Box fuses are in is all plastic. Touching negative end of battery for ground and side of fuse reads 0. We found the converter and checked the fuses on it and they are good. We have a heat pump on main AC and fireplace we can use for heat till we get back to civilization.

Old 05-08-2016, 11:52 AM   #8
Crabby

Quote:
Originally Posted by KellyT330 View Post
We have a 2014 Cedar Creek 36 CKTS that we full time in. We traveled to Merriman, NE where I am working a month ago. We had problems with slides and level up system working in route and on when we got here. Level up said low voltage. We were able to get set up by hooking up battery charger and being plugged in to shore power. Hubby found corrosion on one of the battery posts and cleaned it and off. We have 4 batteries in relay since we have an invertor for residential refrigerator. All batteries show 6.7 volts with meter. Now a month later the furnace is not coming on. Blower doesn't come on at all. Fuse for furnace has only 9.2 volts with meter. Now wondering if converter or other electrical problem. Haven't tried to bring in slides since here till July 2nd. No mobile Rv repair available here. Changed fuse for furnace. Is there a circuit breaker for furnace? Where is converter located and how can you check it? Any help or thoughts appreciated. Thanks

The quickest way to check converter is to disconnect battery and check for voltage on the wires to battery with a meter. Should be around 13 volts. If good converter working OK. Make sure your battery disconnect is closed. also. Inverter does not have to be on if plugged into shore power.
Crabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 01:09 PM   #9
2015 Silverback/2014 F250

Cool silverback 33IK invertor

I was wanting to know if you should keep the battery switch on when connected to shore power or leave it off? I ask this because with the switch on I hear the inverter running and wifey is scared of the noise thinking something is wrong.. Please help.
chisumbella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 01:42 PM   #10

We full time chisumbella, so when not traveling I shut off the inverter. Only use it when traveling. As far as the battery disconnect, I have it on all the time. If you don't full time you may want the disconnect off to save the batteries. The inverter should be on when you are not plugged into shore power and need the fridge running.
Kodiak Disc Brakes
97flhtcui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 01:47 PM   #11

It is more of a personal preference but that being said, the battery disconnect I shut off when I want to isolate the batteries from the rest of the system to work on the electrical.
Kodiak Disc Brakes
97flhtcui is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
12 volt, electric, electrical