Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-08-2015, 09:02 AM   #1

12V Battery compartment

OK; here is another issue that I have. Does the standard 12V battery that is shipped or provided by the dealer is this fastened in place? When I brought my trailer home from the dealer, I notice that the batter tray was not fastened to the battery compartment floor. A strap was provided but this was lose and not attached to anything. In fact there was no opening for a locking mechanism or fastening device for the battery tray at all. Thus the battery is allow to shift around when you are traveling and will damage the compartment eventually by sliding around.

I could provide a device but was wondering what others have done?

My temporary fix is two heavy duty industrial Velcro fasteners under the battery tray for now.

Thanks
Old 05-08-2015, 09:28 AM   #2
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Battery is supplied by the dealer.

TURBS
08 duramax tuned n modded, 32bhok Sabre
2015 camping "4 nights"
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 10:08 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim34RL View Post
OK; here is another issue that I have. Does the standard 12V battery that is shipped or provided by the dealer is this fastened in place? When I brought my trailer home from the dealer, I notice that the batter tray was not fastened to the battery compartment floor. A strap was provided but this was lose and not attached to anything. In fact there was no opening for a locking mechanism or fastening device for the battery tray at all. Thus the battery is allow to shift around when you are traveling and will damage the compartment eventually by sliding around.

I could provide a device but was wondering what others have done?

My temporary fix is two heavy duty industrial Velcro fasteners under the battery tray for now.

Thanks
TT or 5er??????????
Jim in Halifax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 10:29 AM   #4
Certified Curmudgeon

In your previous post you stated you have a Residential Fridge. If that is true and you have an inverter, you should have 4 each 6v deep cycle batteries. They fit in the tray and do not need straps as they cannot go anywhere.
Old 05-08-2015, 11:41 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in Halifax View Post
TT or 5er??????????
I thought my signature would tell you what type of rv it is a 5er.
Old 05-08-2015, 11:48 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duckogram View Post
In your previous post you stated you have a Residential Fridge. If that is true and you have an inverter, you should have 4 each 6v deep cycle batteries. They fit in the tray and do not need straps as they cannot go anywhere.
OK I understand that but as I am almost max out on this years discretionary spending for the year. I am using the one 12V interstate battery that the dealer provided. Also we do not boondock, DW wishes we will be on shore power except to travel and the inverter with the battery should be sufficient for on the road when traveling.
Old 05-08-2015, 12:00 PM   #7

I think the comment is more to the point the dealer should have put 4 6V batteries in that unit.

Current: 2019 Sunseeker 2290S
Previous (2012-2016): 2012 Vibe 6501
1 Prospector Canoe, 2 Mtn. Bikes & 4 Hiking Boots
Happy Vibe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 12:13 PM   #8

None of the dealers that I've been to out here around KCMO and Wichita, KS include 4 6VDC batteries for the units equipped with a residential fridge ... just a single Interstate 12VDC and no battery box. I bought a battery box from Wally World, placed the battery in it and screwed the straps to the compartment floor. I don't have the residential fridge, but I was stating my solution to the battery hold down.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 03:53 PM   #9

FWIW, here is the first thought that popped into my head.

Cut a piece of plywood to the full size of the floor of the battery compartment. Put a standard battery box (Walmart) in the middle of that plywood and keep it from sliding by screwing some 1"x1" wood strips to the plywood on all four sides of the box.

Use the strap and plastic tie down brackets that come with the battery box to strap the box down to the plywood. The "brackets" can be screwed to the plywood. This way you are not putting any holes in the battery compartment floor.

Is the battery compartment floor fiberglass?
2024 Winnebago Minnie 2327TB B&W Continuum Hitch
racer4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 06:15 PM   #10
Certified Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselguy View Post
None of the dealers that I've been to out here around KCMO and Wichita, KS include 4 6VDC batteries for the units equipped with a residential fridge ... just a single Interstate 12VDC and no battery box. I bought a battery box from Wally World, placed the battery in it and screwed the straps to the compartment floor. I don't have the residential fridge, but I was stating my solution to the battery hold down.
I bought my 36CKTS from Nationwide RV, 10 miles East of KC, MO. It came with 4 Interstate 6V Deep Cycle Flooded Batteries. I know that the Thompson Bros sold out to CW so I will assume the business model has deteriorated.
Old 05-08-2015, 06:21 PM   #11
Certified Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Vibe View Post
I think the comment is more to the point the dealer should have put 4 6V batteries in that unit.
Give that man a cheroot.
Old 05-08-2015, 07:00 PM   #12

My NON residential fridge,Silverback 33rl came with one battery in a secured AND vented battery box. My former Keystone, 2011, fifth wheel was the same. I assume proper venting is important. Only say that because mfgrs are too cheap to add anything not needed.
SilverbackMel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 08:48 PM   #13

Nationwide in Grain Valley is now Camping World ... nothing sitting on the lot with residential fridges has anything but a 12V Interstate ... you must have to deal for them now. Yes they have changed their customer / dealer relationship model. They sell over 100 units a month and you are just a number once the money has swapped hands. Seemingly more so than other dealers I've dealt with once the money is in hand.

PS The newer Silverback's / Cedar Creek's battery compartment door is vented.

Racer4 ... the battery compartments are more or less open with just a shelf dividing it from the hydraulic pump assy above. The floor is just thin metal I think like the Silverbacks storage compartment's outboard of the IBeam frame.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2015, 09:13 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim34RL View Post
OK I understand that but as I am almost max out on this years discretionary spending for the year. I am using the one 12V interstate battery that the dealer provided. Also we do not boondock, DW wishes we will be on shore power except to travel and the inverter with the battery should be sufficient for on the road when traveling.

Unless that 12 volt battery has a lot of amps 1 12 volt battery will not be enough unless your trips are short, your frig pulls a lot of amps

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 02:00 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by spock123 View Post
Unless that 12 volt battery has a lot of amps 1 12 volt battery will not be enough unless your trips are short, your frig pulls a lot of amps

Hi; I have been busy for awhile getting the trailer set-up and getting ready for our first outing of the year.

I am waiting to see if the heavy duty industrial Velcro will work that I used.

Now the 12V battery should be sufficient when being used with the TV when towing. Since the alternator of the TV is supplying electrical current to the trailer and TV as the engine is running. The engine alternator is rated at 136AMPS.
Old 05-10-2015, 02:49 PM   #16
Site Team

I suggest you make sure how much of a charge is going through the pigtail connector to the trailer.
Most tow vehicles only provide a trickle charge.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 08:30 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
I suggest you make sure how much of a charge is going through the pigtail connector to the trailer.
Most tow vehicles only provide a trickle charge.

You are right about that. Think about about it when you wire up battery's together how big the cable has to be, a small wire it's just a trickle charge

spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 09:08 PM   #18

For anyone with four 6 volt deep cycles what are the dimensions of your battery compartment. I don't think mine will hold them even though I have the res frig.
Brentf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 09:20 PM   #19

I have 4 - 6 volts. The compartment is very tight no movement of batteries since it is so tight. I also have the res ref.

Tom & Marilyn
2013 Chevrolet Duramax 3500 HD LTZ Crew Cab Long Bed Z71 4X4
2015 Cedar Creek 38RD Hathaway Edition
ttanous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 10:26 PM   #20

Ttanos what is the make model no for your 6 volts?
Brentf is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery