Old 11-08-2015, 09:07 PM   #1

Newb from Washington

Well I have finally found somewhere that might help me understand this used 5th wheel that I bought.

I need some help figuring out how things work. I have the refrigerator, air conditioner, furnace, and water tanks under control. But have problems understanding how the water heater works. I know I have a 6 gallon dual energy (gas and electric) Suburban and find I can not make it work on either type of input. I found a video online that showed me about the reset buttons and the electric switch outside but it says there is another one inside but I am not finding anything. Can someone help me with this?

Old 11-08-2015, 09:44 PM   #2

2001 Cedar Creek Issues

Okay so I bought a used 5th wheel and found the outside 12 volt lights not working. The previous owners had moved the panel from inside to the front corner of the unit and left a bunch of wires taped together behind this panel (I am assuming these are the wires to the lights) and as such I have several switches that seem to do nothing. This is just the start of this issues.

Since I have so many switches that do nothing and have labels that have been painted over, I also do not know where the internal water heater switch is supposed to be. The "Control Panel" is in the range hood and gives me levels in tanks and turns on the water pump, hood light and fan. I have the slider control switches (power and in/out) and 2 thermostats (air conditioner/furnace and vent fan) 3 rocker switches (that don't seem to do anything) and 2 110 switches (ceiling fan and 110 lights) inside the door. I have 2 switches beside the sink (1 lighted fresh water tank heater, and 1 switch with separate light but don't know what it is for).

I have been unable to get the water heater to function on either gas or electric and looking for assistance on trying to get it operating. Any help would be appreciated. I do know it is a Suburban auto light propane with 110 electric (I know where the switch is outside and seems to do nothing when switched to on) the breaker is on and there is power to the outlet they plugged the water heater into.

Look forward to any and all help I might get.

Old 11-08-2015, 10:01 PM   #3
Moderators' Assistant

Welcome from Camano Island!

you should have a switch panel inside, like this, for the propane side:

make sure you have water in the WH, before you turn either on, especially the outside electric switch.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Equalizer WDH and Prodigy BC
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2015, 10:11 PM   #4
Former Full Timer

Sure would like to help but it sounds like you have a "Knuckles" rewire job. I had an 03 that took a near lightning strike so I'm familiar with fried circuits. Because nothing is standard, you will either have to rewire or chase each circuit.

For the water heater: Gas + possibly a shut off near the thermocouple. If both OK, I would next check the voltage at the electric element itself. If nothing is there, you most likely have tripped one or both of the safety circuits. You can try a reset. They are micro switched behind the two rubber plugs on the face of the water heater.
You should also check the 12v circuit as it is required for the DSI for the gas via the circuit board.

For the rest of the stuff: pictures pictures pictures
or you could bring it over and we can "re-wire" it. You're only 3250 miles away.
Elbert Hubbard
Duckogram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2015, 10:17 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by TruckingJohn View Post
Well I have finally found somewhere that might help me understand this used 5th wheel that I bought.

I need some help figuring out how things work. I have the refrigerator, air conditioner, furnace, and water tanks under control. But have problems understanding how the water heater works. I know I have a 6 gallon dual energy (gas and electric) Suburban and find I can not make it work on either type of input. I found a video online that showed me about the reset buttons and the electric switch outside but it says there is another one inside but I am not finding anything. Can someone help me with this?

For the electric you will need shore power - suspect you can't run it on battery. For the gas, you should make sure you have cleared the gas line. Run the stove until you have a clear blue flame and then try starting the water heater again. It may still take several tries. If there is air in the line, it's hard to clear it there - best to use the stove. Be sure to vent stove for safety.
Old 11-09-2015, 12:32 AM   #6

I would put the panel back where it was. It should make it easier to hook all the wires up. Until then it sounds like a fire waiting to start. This doesn't sound like something I would have bought...or taken for free..JMHO
Old 11-09-2015, 12:54 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
Welcome from Camano Island!

you should have a switch panel inside, like this, for the propane side:

make sure you have water in the WH, before you turn either on, especially the outside electric switch.
Nothing even close to looking like it.
Old 11-09-2015, 12:57 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNtraveler View Post
For the electric you will need shore power - suspect you can't run it on battery. For the gas, you should make sure you have cleared the gas line. Run the stove until you have a clear blue flame and then try starting the water heater again. It may still take several tries. If there is air in the line, it's hard to clear it there - best to use the stove. Be sure to vent stove for safety.
Yes common sense says this and I am aware if trying to run on 12 Volt it would be GAS fired not Electric.
Old 11-09-2015, 01:11 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOTTOYS View Post
I would put the panel back where it was. It should make it easier to hook all the wires up. Until then it sounds like a fire waiting to start. This doesn't sound like something I would have bought...or taken for free..JMHO
Power distribution has been moved back to the inside and is only the 12 Volt lighting that is not functioning properly as the wires have been cut and taped off and bundled together. Of course I found this out after the purchase and after trying to use the water system find there are switches I should be able to find and have no idea where to look for them. Do not see a gas "on" or reset button and do not find an inside electric switch, so short of doing a bunch of testing (not knowing what I should be seeing with the test) and hoping I do not have what I am reading I am supposed to have to prevent the system from working.
Old 11-09-2015, 01:28 AM   #10

Is there anyone who owns a 2001 Cedar Creek who might speak with me on this issue? I do not see any extra holes in the walls or missing switches but then also do not see how to select gas over 110 for the hot water (but know there has to be something doing so), have common sense knowledge of both types of systems just do not have the knowledge of DUAL systems.

Tags
cedar creek, washington