Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-06-2015, 06:34 PM   #1

2010 Cedar Creek 36RE Leaking Windows

We purchased a brand new Cedar Creek 36RE at the rv show in Houston in 2010. We have had problems with the end windows leaking on the entrance side of the rv slide out. We have looked on numerous sites to see if there were any other owners experiencing the same issue but have not found anything. It's hard to believe that nobody with this rv model isn't experiencing this issue if they have the same rv with the same windows. These are the only two windows in the rv that leak and they leak bad every time it rains. Is there anyone out there that has had / seen issues with a 36RE and leaking windows?
FrankA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 06:43 PM   #2
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Have you ever had the windows looked at, and is something that just started recently or has it been since new? I would be pulling the windows and resealing them, fairly simple procedure.
AquaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 06:50 PM   #3

I wish it was that easy to fix. Happening since we got it but the two service places we took it to could not figure it out. We explained to them what was happening but they couldn't figure it out. Hard to explain but we even provided videos of the windows leaking when it was raining. Windows are vertical sliders and do not have weep holes. The water collects in the bottom channel and has nowhere to go but inside the rv and down the wall. Forest River will not step up to work with us for a fix. Slide out floor has rotted on both ends and needs to be replaced but that serves no purpose unless a solution is found for the leaking windows.
Old 01-06-2015, 06:59 PM   #4

You bought brand new and have had problem since?!?!?

Oh hell no....someone needs to step up and NOW !!!! Have you contacted Forest River directly instead of through the dealer??

Maybe a phone call to the right person could be very beneficial - if it has been documented since beginning the factory should no less than fix the leaky windows AND repair ALL floor issues from those leaks !
heavynlori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 07:19 PM   #5

I have been in direct contact with Forest River. Warranty guy and sales rep. They told me to take it back to the dealer. The dealer has been going back and forth with them. Forest River will not take any responsibility. As a proof point I covered the windows with plastic and during a really heavy rain no leaks. Imagine that! That proves they installed bad windows.
Old 01-06-2015, 07:36 PM   #6

Has anyone suggested a sealtest? I would be willing to bet it is not a window issue but from somewhere higher up. But the only sure fire is a seal test. This will pinpoint each and every leak. Then a solution can be accomplished
donniedu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 07:37 PM   #7
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Ok, now that I have an idea of the problem, is the channel such that you can drill your own weep hole? I assume since it has done this since day one, that someone has addressed this issue at least one or more times during the warranty period. What did they do to fix the problem during those visits? If it was never fixed, then you still have an open claim, at least in my book. Of course you are now talking about a 4-5yr old camper, and if it was never fixed, why did you let it go for so long? I know warranty work can take some time, but that's a little much.
AquaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 08:11 PM   #8

^^^^ thinking the same thing !!
Old 01-06-2015, 08:22 PM   #9

At first we just thought it was a fluke. The windows are vertical sliders. The only ones like that in the rv. The window slides down into a channel at the bottom and when it rains that is where the water is getting in. Both dealers said they could not reproduce the leaking. I went to the rv show in 2011 to speak to the Forest River guys but they wouldn't give me the time of day. Since they could not reproduce they said there was nothing to fix. I had it in to service departments several times. They are flush mount windows so I would not attempt to drill weep holes. Thought about it but decided not to. When I covered the windows with plastic they do not leak. I only covered the bottom half of the windows where I knew the water was getting in. During several heavy rains they did not leak. We gave them pictures and videos of them leaking but they still do not want to step up.
Old 01-06-2015, 09:31 PM   #10

We have a 2010 CC 36RE and have not had this problem with the side windows because they have small holes drilled in the outside edge allowing water out. They where not drain fast enough to satisfy me so I take a drill bit just a little bit bigger than the holes and drilled them out some more no problems and drain much faster. While at the FR0G this past year one of the techs ask us about the windows and I showed hem what I did and was told "that works".
Forbes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 09:38 PM   #11

We have no weep holes at all on our windows. I have looked at a ton of tv's and they all have weep holes. Our windows are flush and seamless. Do your windows have frames? I think they put the wrong windows in this rv. I've never seen a rv with vertical sliders that do not have weep holes.
Old 01-06-2015, 09:41 PM   #12

We had a problem with our 2007 Rockwood Signature UltraLite and I cleaned out the weep holes with a paperclip and it we had no more leaking. It's hard to see those little weep holes, but once you find them, you will probably find that the holes were not drilled out completely or there is some "stuff" stuck in them.

Just my idea on the problem.
merrykalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 09:49 PM   #13

Our windows are flush mount with no frame. There are no weep holes at all on the outside. I would have to drill and hope not to shatter the window. Definitely couldn't take that chance. Forest River has not given us any answer as to why these windows do not have weep holes.
Old 01-06-2015, 10:01 PM   #14

The "frameless" windows used now do not slide up to open.

They crank out on bottom at an angle

Our Crusader does not have frameless windows - they are installed with a rubber gasket all four sides of window and they slide up/down to operate - they do have weep slots in the channel outside at the bottom

I did have to make sure when you drop them to shut and make sure it is firmly seated in the channel with an extra little push down to secure it completely....found out by trial and error but fortunately not on a rainy day - this was our first brand new rig as we always had already used windows that moved easier on previous campers !!
Old 01-06-2015, 10:23 PM   #15

If that's the case Forest River knew there was an issue with the windows and made a change sometime after 2010. I have the flush mount frameless windows everywhere else in the rv that crank out. No weep holes and no leaks. Only the two vertical sliders.
Old 01-06-2015, 10:51 PM   #16
Site Team

Is is possible that the window was installed upside down. I almost had this problem with a replacement window at home. Contractor almost installed upside down with weep holes on top.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 10:54 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankA View Post
If that's the case Forest River knew there was an issue with the windows and made a change sometime after 2010. I have the flush mount frameless windows everywhere else in the rv that crank out. No weep holes and no leaks. Only the two vertical sliders.

Yes our friends have a 2014 Sabre with the frameless windows everywhere EXCEPT the ends of their dining slide atrium windows - ends are sliders but curb side are all frameless

We asked dealer why.....were told it had to do with the wiper/seals not catching on the frameless glass when the slide moves in and out....made sense until we looked at a Cedar Creek on their lot and it had frameless windows EVERYWHERE including ends of slide....hmmmm

Could not answer why on the high end unit but not on a cheaper Sabre....seems odd !!
Old 01-07-2015, 12:18 AM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
I have been in direct contact with Forest River. Warranty guy and sales rep. They told me to take it back to the dealer. The dealer has been going back and forth with them. Forest River will not take any responsibility. As a proof point I covered the windows with plastic and during a really heavy rain no leaks. Imagine that! That proves they installed bad windows.
Quote:
At first we just thought it was a fluke. The windows are vertical sliders. The only ones like that in the rv. The window slides down into a channel at the bottom and when it rains that is where the water is getting in. Both dealers said they could not reproduce the leaking. I went to the rv show in 2011 to speak to the Forest River guys but they wouldn't give me the time of day. Since they could not reproduce they said there was nothing to fix. I had it in to service departments several times. They are flush mount windows so I would not attempt to drill weep holes. Thought about it but decided not to. When I covered the windows with plastic they do not leak. I only covered the bottom half of the windows where I knew the water was getting in. During several heavy rains they did not leak. We gave them pictures and videos of them leaking but they still do not want to step up.
Is the RV show the only place you spoke directly with forest river? If so, I would immediately be in contact via phone/email to your warranty rep at forest river (numbers now available on forest river webpage). Also, consider going to the factory rally in August. They send techs out to fix your rig for free whether or not you are still under warranty. I'm not sure how much they can do regarding the flooring damage as it sounds like you have extensive damage but I would try to prearrange getting that section rebuilt through the factory. I wouldn't be surprised if they can figure out your window leak too. Good luck.
asquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 12:29 AM   #19

Is there any chance you can take and post a picture of the window?
Campingnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 01:51 PM   #20

leaking windows

Well you have another one I have a 2010 Cedar creek 34rlsa with the same problem. Call the factory which directed me the the window manufacture which told me to clean out the vent holes . The bottom track has to come out to see the vent holes. Still trying to figure out how to get the plastic trim off to get at the vent holes
Barry
blynds is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cedar creek, leak