Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-23-2014, 10:23 PM   #1

2010 silverback pin box flexing

I bought this camper 2 years ago in West Virginia. I am the second owner. One the second pull to Michigan from WV I noticed the nose cap and the tongue of the trailer flexing into each other on the bumps and bridges on the road. Not overloaded and no excessive speeds. The hair line cracks started on the driver side where the arch goes down to the front storage and now there is spiderwebing cracking from the front bottom of the bedroom side. The front underbelly is separating from the caulking or glue. Just installed a fifth airborne hitch to smooth the ride. It helped the ride but I noticed more spiderwebing and heard some loud pops under hard breaking in the city traffic from Arkansas to Alabama towards the end of a 376 mile trip. I cannot see any cracks in the pin box. A pipeline welder looked at it said what he saw was better than the 15 he has fixed earlier. I wonder if more bracing needs to be done and if anyone has done it. I have sent an email to forest river with pictures but don't know if they will help due to it being out of warranty. This is a shame for a $40K camper. I like the camper but I wonder what the best fix is to solve this problem permanently. I have seen the past forums where this is not uncommon. I hate to trade a camper I like and pass it on to another unknowing consumer. But I do not believe this totally my responsibility. I know I would not buy a newer camper but an older one when they made better ones like I had a 1995 fleetwood prowler. Our family out grew it and that's why we have this one. Any and all suggestions or repairs that has been done would be greatly appreciatively. Just want a good dependable unit as this is how I provide for my family.
arpipeliner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 10:59 PM   #2
Plain Old Member

I don't have the answer, but it sounds like you have major frame issues. You may not be able to see any cracks in the framework as is, but may find some if you pull the underside off around the pin box. A quick search on here or on Google and you'll find plenty of them that this has happened to. Not necessarily Silverback, but most with the Lippert frame. A lot have had their's beefed up with gussets in that area under the bedroom floor. Do you have any pictures to post? I'm sure others will chime in shortly.
2013 Ford F-350 Lariat CC LB PSD
2015 SOB TT - With OC's Awning Poles (#8)
At least in Heaven, RVs will be perfect, and I won't have to keep fixing them.
BigJohnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 11:29 PM   #3

Tried to upload pictures but I am new to this and not sure how to. Will keep trying.
Old 03-24-2014, 06:17 AM   #4

How do take the under skin down and brace it up to stop the flexing. I don't want to ruin the skin due a simple mistake. I have seen on the forums that people have done it. Was wondering if would ruin the piece.
Old 03-24-2014, 06:26 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by arpipeliner View Post
how do take the under skin down and brace it up to stop the flexing. I don't want to ruin the skin due a simple mistake. I have seen on the forums that people have done it. Was wondering if would ruin the piece.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1395660208.037427.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	27.8 KB
ID:	48301Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1395660261.974834.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	23.8 KB
ID:	48302Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1395660287.976373.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	34.3 KB
ID:	48303Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1395660312.284042.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	37.1 KB
ID:	48304Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1395660331.277524.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	47.5 KB
ID:	48305Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1395660356.306094.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	48.5 KB
ID:	48306
Old 03-24-2014, 12:23 PM   #6
Plain Old Member

I've never pulled that piece off, so I'm not 100% sure how in depth it is. Have just seen pictures of it done. The trim in your second picture has to come off. Pretty much remove the vinyl strip covering the screws, then a bunch of screws to remove. Should be a strip side to side between front cap and the underside. Then the trim around the pin box (3rd / 4th picture), and the strip across at the very bottom under the front cargo door. All of the trim can be tricky as it should have the gray butyl tape under it, which can be aggravating sometimes. Cutting any sealant first, removing screws then gently prying a little at a time and trim will usually come off. I don't have the luxury to take pictures of these pieces right now, so hopefully you see what I'm referring to. Unlike the sidewalls, that piece to remove underneath is relatively thin. But, if you can get it off, you should be able to further inspect the cross members and other structure. If you've seen the pin box flexing in relation to the cap, no doubt you have broken welds, or the steel itself is fractured / cracked as I've seen before. Cedar Creek should be able to tell you more about it than I can. I'd suggest calling opposed to emailing. I think their main number is (260) 593-2404 and the parts / service number is (260) 593-3017. Be prepared to give them the last 4 of your VIN as they may ask to see exactly what you have. You never know. I've heard of them helping out people on out of warranty fifth wheels before.
2013 Ford F-350 Lariat CC LB PSD
2015 SOB TT - With OC's Awning Poles (#8)
At least in Heaven, RVs will be perfect, and I won't have to keep fixing them.
BigJohnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 02:39 PM   #7

Thanks. My camper is all one piece from the pin box to the bottom of the front storage compartment. I know the split that u are referring to. Will try to ease it down and look at it so I know what I am dealing with before contacting. That way I can have pictures and know what the problem is to relay on. Might not be this week as the family is coming to stay some of the week as I am working here.