Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-04-2012, 10:45 PM   #1

2011 36RE Fire Hazard...!!!!!!

No that I have you attention please read carefully. The switch that controls the 6 overhead lights in the main area in the roof was getting a little sticky if not hard to turn the lights on and off. I thought I would just swap switches from another over, when I opened the panel (6 screws to remove) I noticed the burned wire and connector.

I tested the lights and with-in minutes the main wire feeding these 6 lights was getting warm to the touch, this should not be happening. If this wire can not handle these 6 lights then it should be separated into more banks/switches. I do not accept the answer that I should be turning some of the lights off....after all that switch is on the light mounted on the ceiling....not practical. I guess if I want to run these lights I am forced to upgrade to LED lights that draw less power, after all I don't want to burn my house down. I am thinking that the bedroom ones should be done as well....there are 4 there and don't need any issues from them either.

Anyone else run into this problem....please if you have one of these black rocker switches controlling lights please check your wires..!!!!

2006 F350 6.0 with 3.73 gears, 4X4, Extra-Cab Long Box, Oil/Tranny/P.S. Coolers. Coolant filter. SCT Livewire.
2011 Cedar Creek 36RE, Auto levelers + too much to list..!
puff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 07:45 PM   #2

Yes, my 36 re did the same thing. The on and off switch melted, so I replaced all the bulbs to LED. This is not cheap to do, but no more problems.
MrAllen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 08:17 PM   #3

Yes, I just ordered a bunch of LED ones from ebay so need to replace them asap.

2006 F350 6.0 with 3.73 gears, 4X4, Extra-Cab Long Box, Oil/Tranny/P.S. Coolers. Coolant filter. SCT Livewire.
Old 12-09-2012, 06:42 PM   #4

I have a 2011 Cedar Creek that has the same switch problem; I noticed the switch hot to the touch when I tried to turn it off. Opened the switch panel and found burned wires. Cleaned the wires, replaced and added an extra spade connection and this helped some. Have purchased a replacement switch but haven’t installed it. Just looking at the original setup, there were two large diameter wires crimped in one spade connection and those two wires seemed to be in the worse condition and probably lead to the switch failing. Currently have two of the lights cut off until I get the switch changed
Truman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 09:29 PM   #5

Hey

I did the same thing but I found only one wire to the switch, it was burnt black already and the plastic cover on the connector as well. Yes the switch was also warm to the touch, so much that the switch has started to fail, bought a replacement switch and I bought from ebay 20 LED lights for the main coach area. They are replacement bulbs and they draw hardly nothing for power, I also changed the ones in the bedroom area to LED as well.

Leave the lights on in the bedroom then touch the switch on the wall, I bet money it gets warm as well.

Long story short, there are very few bulbs in the coach that are conventional bulbs, most are LED. It will draw less on battery and converter thus they should last longer....well that's my humble opinion..!

Hope this thread helps before someone has a problem they can't fix..!

Old 12-09-2012, 09:56 PM   #6

1. Has anyone contacted Forest river about this problem?

2. My 2012 36RE does not seem to have the problem?

3. More information about the LED replacement, Please.
jwakeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 11:17 PM   #7

I tried to find an email address but could not find anything short of a physical address. I have had a couple comments and seen some others locally and they all seem to suffer the same problem, running all 6 lights in the main coach is too much for the wiring and the switch.

As for the replacement LED lights I went looking on ebay. 1 LED bulb in my area is 18.00 can. and needing 20 bulbs well you can see the cost at almost 400.00 plus taxes. There are different kinds of LED bulbs and different color temperatures. I went with warm white in the main coach and cool white in the bedroom. The warm white are not as bright as a stock bulb but with all the other lights I did not think it was that bad...
As for the bedroom we went with the cool white, it has a brighter color and it gives off more of a blueish color. It is nice and bright in the bedroom, I had a few extras so I replaced the one in the hallway and the bathroom. Plan on doing the ones in the pass-through. I will add a link to the ebay place I bought mine from. I bought 20 LED bulbs and with the 7 day shipping to my door it was less than 40.00 can total.

</title><meta name="description" content="20 X Warm White G4 24 SMD LED Lamp Light Car Bulb 12V AC Top Quality 20pcs/lot in eBay Motors , Parts Accessories , Car Truck Parts , Lighting Lamps , Light Bulbs , LED Lights |eBay"><meta name="keywords" con

I hope the link works, if not just decide what color/brightness your after and look for a case lot sale or ask for the amount your needing.

Old 12-10-2012, 12:22 AM   #8

Call Jason at Cedar Creek 260-593-2598, and tell him what you have going on. I think he should be able to help you out.

Hope this helps and God bless,
Mike
2007 - Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins
May God bless
WA8MRU
mike1poles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 09:42 AM   #9

Light Switch

I have a late model 2011 36RE after they made some changes in layout. My light switch isn't in the ceiling they are all in the master panel with all the other switches for slides, etc. They evidently corrected that because all the lights aren't on the same switch.
glendodom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 10:26 AM   #10
Full Timer

I have a 2013 36b4 before they switched to the led lights and the switch in the back bedroom has melted where I can't even move it. There is only four lights in there, the same as the front bedroom we just use the lights back there more. I called Cedar Creek they are going to take care of it for me.

Ford Western Hauler
2013 CC 36B4
life2short4nofun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 02:44 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1poles View Post
Call Jason at Cedar Creek 260-593-2598, and tell him what you have going on. I think he should be able to help you out.

Hope this helps and God bless,
Mike

Vary good first contact with Justin Day about this problem. Looking forward to the fix.
Old 01-08-2013, 02:46 PM   #12
Full Timer

That number is for Justin Day, and he is super nice and has helped me

Ford Western Hauler
2013 CC 36B4
Old 01-20-2013, 06:27 PM   #13

light switch update !!!

replaced 6 of 12 bulbs and the switch went from 72 to 96
replaced the remain 6 and temp started at 77 and was still 77 after 4 hours.
Thanks to Cedar Creek for standing behind this unit.
Old 01-20-2013, 08:46 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwakeman View Post
light switch update !!!

replaced 6 of 12 bulbs and the switch went from 72 to 96
replaced the remain 6 and temp started at 77 and was still 77 after 4 hours.
Thanks to Cedar Creek for standing behind this unit.

J

What did you replace the bulbs with..??? and the switch was it an upgrade or..???...more information please.

Old 01-20-2013, 09:21 PM   #15

Cedar Creek shipped to me 12 LED lights, No change done to the wall switch.
I worked with Justin Day @ cc. See earlier post for contact information.
Old 01-21-2013, 12:14 PM   #16
Full Timer

After talking to Justin I was even more pleased with my Cedar Creek. I really believe its one of the best trailers for the money. The led lights he sent were wonderful I got online and bought them for all the other lights in the rig. The are so much cooler temp and brighter. I think there a great thing for people to switch out on any rig.

Ford Western Hauler
2013 CC 36B4