Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-05-2012, 08:17 AM   #1

2012 Silverback 35QB4 External Cable/Satellite Outlets

Okay, just picked up our new fifth wheel and we are getting it prepped and loaded for the season - stupid question - I obviously wasn't paying enough attention when I took delivery, but WHERE DO I FIND the Cable/Satellite outlets on the outside of the unit?

Help?!
2011 Chev Silverado 3500HD Dually Duramax Turbo Diesel - Allison Trans / PullRite 20.5K Super 5th Wheel Hitch & SuperRails / Trailair Tri-Glide Air Ride Pin Box #21,000 / Honda 3000i Handi

mdamm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 08:56 AM   #2

We have different floorplans but I would think your's would be in the same general location as mine, in the area with all the hookups.

Here's a picture of where mine is located. You can see that our cable is connected just under the outside shower faucets.

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
2010 Ford F250 XL Crew Cab 6.4 liter diesel
ATU Local 788
Oakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 09:04 AM   #3

Thanks Oakman - could not see the "Forest" for the trees - it was right in front of my eyes! Gave a great weekend!
2011 Chev Silverado 3500HD Dually Duramax Turbo Diesel - Allison Trans / PullRite 20.5K Super 5th Wheel Hitch & SuperRails / Trailair Tri-Glide Air Ride Pin Box #21,000 / Honda 3000i Handi

mdamm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 09:46 AM   #4

Glad I could help. I've been known look right through the Forest too.

Have a great camping season. Be sure to let us know how your first trip goes with your new and beautiful "Silver Edition" Silverback.

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
ATU Local 788
Old 06-07-2012, 10:16 AM   #5

We have a new 2013 35QB4 and we have a half acre we park on for the season. We have a satellite dish in a tree that we connect to the trailer through the satellite connector in the docking station. Inside at all the tv locations there is a "Satellite" connection but only in the main living area there is a "cable / aux" connector which is the only place my satellite hook up works.

I presume the other locations in the trailer that have the "satellite" connector is for the intended roof mounted system. Is there any way to get my satellite signal to all TV locations inside?
Sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 02:40 PM   #6
B47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakman View Post
We have different floorplans but I would think your's would be in the same general location as mine, in the area with all the hookups.

Here's a picture of where mine is located. You can see that our cable is connected just under the outside shower faucets.

Slightly OT - but your photo gives me an oportunity to ask a simple question. I have a 2012 29rk and my compartment is the same as yours.

My question is -why did/does FR locate the switch for the hook -up lights (those two LED lights located in the nose cap) in this compartment?

For those of you who don't know what I am speaking of - the switch in question is just to the right of the outdoor shower faucets (on the wall).

It seems to me that a more logical location for the switch would be in the battery/landing gear switches compartment. That way you could turn them on/off when and if you need to adjust the landing gear at night.

Thanks for posting your photo and giving me a chance to ask this question.
B47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 03:20 PM   #7

I have to agree with you B47 I thought it was a strange location for that switch too.

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
ATU Local 788
Old 06-07-2012, 03:21 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean View Post
We have a new 2013 35QB4 and we have a half acre we park on for the season. We have a satellite dish in a tree that we connect to the trailer through the satellite connector in the docking station. Inside at all the tv locations there is a "Satellite" connection but only in the main living area there is a "cable / aux" connector which is the only place my satellite hook up works.

I presume the other locations in the trailer that have the "satellite" connector is for the intended roof mounted system. Is there any way to get my satellite signal to all TV locations inside?
I can't help you but if you find out let me know. We just bought a DISH tailgater for satellite RV.

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
ATU Local 788
Old 06-07-2012, 03:27 PM   #9

I connect mine using hdmi cables. I use a two way splitter behind my directv receiver and then run cables to each tv
tshayn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 03:37 PM   #10

Thank you for the response. I was hoping to be able to use the existing in wall wiring as it has to be set up to send a signal to each TV..... even if I have to have a receiver on each TV.
Old 06-07-2012, 04:03 PM   #11

Quote:
I have to agree with you B47 I thought it was a strange location for that switch too.
My lights were on for a week after I took possession of my new trailer because I couldn't find the switch. I finally called the dealer and sheepishly asked where it was. I felt so stupid.
Old 06-07-2012, 05:38 PM   #12

Quote:
My lights were on for a week after I took possession of my new trailer because I couldn't find the switch. I finally called the dealer and sheepishly asked where it was. I felt so stupid.
If your unit is like mine, the light switch isn't labeled either. On mine there is a light just above the switch so it's easy to think the switch is for that light.

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
ATU Local 788
Old 06-07-2012, 05:45 PM   #13
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

All other coax connections are for ota tv not sat.

What I did was removed dvd system unplugged my outside tv coax "u could use any"
Then I installed a switch so its either sat or ota tv.
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 05:54 PM   #14
B47

Quote:

It sure is - I wonder how many other owners of this model do not even know it is there. I have never used them yet.
Old 06-07-2012, 05:59 PM   #15
B47

Quote:
If your unit is like mine, the light switch isn't labeled either. On mine there is a light just above the switch so it's easy to think the switch is for that light.
The switch was labeled on my unit - that is probably the only reason I discovered what it is for!!

I have the light you are speaking of also - and just in case you didn't know. there is amother one just like it on the other side of that compartment, just above the door also.
Old 06-07-2012, 06:02 PM   #16
B47

Quote:
And did your dealer know right off what the switch was for or did he have to check and call you back - after he asked someone!!!
Old 06-07-2012, 06:38 PM   #17

Quote:

Sean,

Do you have one receiver in your rv or two? If you have one that is dual output there is a way to do what you want with the exising wiring. I have one receiver that is dual output so I can watch one channel in the living room and something on a different channel in the bedroom.
Bigdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 06:48 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by B47 View Post
Slightly OT - but your photo gives me an oportunity to ask a simple question. I have a 2012 29rk and my compartment is the same as yours.

My question is -why did/does FR locate the switch for the hook -up lights (those two LED lights located in the nose cap) in this compartment?

For those of you who don't know what I am speaking of - the switch in question is just to the right of the outdoor shower faucets (on the wall).

It seems to me that a more logical location for the switch would be in the battery/landing gear switches compartment. That way you could turn them on/off when and if you need to adjust the landing gear at night.

Thanks for posting your photo and giving me a chance to ask this question.

I agree and thought the location of the switch was odd as well. I actually added a second switch for those lights and put in inside on the service panel with the other switches. I like to turn them on at night so my kids can see the pinbox and not bang there head on it.

I wired in sort of like a 3 way switch in that either switch will turn on and off the lights however the switch that turned them on must turn them off as well but for me that is ok as now 99% of the time I just use the switch on the panel. Adding a 3rd switch and putting it in the battery box area might not be a bad idea however I rarely hookup or disconnect in the dark myself.

If you want to add a second one it is easy to do. I just spliced into the non powered (light) side of the wire coming off that switch and ran the new wires to the new switch. It connects to the on side of the new switch. I then ran a wire to the fuse block to power the new switch and installed it in the panel. Now either switch will turn on and off the lights.

Cost was about 5 bucks for the switch and about 5.00 in wire. Easily a one beer project.
Bigdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 10:31 PM   #19

Quote:
Sadly mine is labeled but I just didn't notice the switch even there. I searched the battery / jack control area thinking it HAD to be there.

Oh well, the joys of having a new unit. It takes a while to learn all the tricks and such. Makes the fun last longer I guess.
Old 06-07-2012, 10:32 PM   #20

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by B47 View Post
And did your dealer know right off what the switch was for or did he have to check and call you back - after he asked someone!!!
He knew exactly where it was. I'll just presume that I wasn't the first one to ask.

Tags
35qb4