Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-29-2013, 08:41 PM   #1

2014 29RE Silverback with CC slides

We got our 2014 Silverback in June 2013 and were very impressed with the Cathedral Ceiling slides when looking. That opinion has since changed drastically and I would give anything to have a conventional slide roof that I could put silde covers on. Just curious if anyone else has experienced problems with the CC slides &, if so, what your fix was. It seems there is no way to prevent water from coming in when you bring the slides in during wet weather. Hopefully, someone has a solution or fix. If manufacturer would come up with a fix to the problem I would jump at the chance. We had sweeps adjusted when we were at factory for other fixes, but that wasn't full solution.
Lovelandtraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 09:21 AM   #2

Angry slide leaks

I also have the same unit as you with the same problem if anyone has a fix please send it to me :
jackssilverback29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 09:21 PM   #3
jlf

2014 29RE Silverback with CC slides

We just bought a 2014 33 RL last month. Even though there are other things that I am having a hard time adjusting to, the CC we happen to like the design. But we haven't experienced the rainy weather. The one downside is loss of cabinets on the CC sides. But I utilize tops of the cabinets I do have. My question regarding the rain and the slide outs. Is this when you are breaking camp and it is raining? Since we haven't taken in the slides yet, we want to be prepared
jlf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 09:45 PM   #4

The problem we are experiencing with our 2014 Silverback Cathedral Ceiling slides is when we go to bring them in after there has been any moisture at all, water runs off the slide roof and down the sides of the slides as they come in, leaving water on floor inside. The only place you can have access to the inside of the slide to wipe it down is right inside the door. All other slide sides are inaccessible. I have even gone to the trouble of getting on the roof and mopping the slides before bringing them in, but the problem persists. The slides have been adjusted by factory, however, the sweeps fail to prevent some water from running down sides of slides as they come in. On our prior Jayco, we had slide toppers and they prevented rain from getting on the roof of the slide and coming in when bringing the slide in. I don't think there really is any solution since you can't put slide covers on the cathedral ceiling slides. If I had known this prior to buying I would have made sure I bought one with a traditional slide roof. One positive thing about our Silverback is that it has been in recent Colorado downpours and not a single leak - if only we didn't have to bring the slides in.
Lovelandtraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 06:31 AM   #5

slide leaks

I have a 2013 29Re and the issue I have is only when you close the slides with ANY moisture on them the water runs in on all corners of all 3 slides. I carry a ladder and a long handle squegee to wipe off the slides first,it helps but when its raining you cant do this.I wish I woulod have know this first!
Old 10-29-2013, 05:15 AM   #6

This problem became apparent to us on a recent trip. One of our bedroom slides also drains onto the steps, giving us that outside shower we always wanted. Our next unit will not have cathedral ceilings.
mike2wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 05:36 AM   #7

Here is the problem with the cathedral slide at the door... you get dowsed real good when it is raining and you go in and out the door. I have been looking at creating some type of portable gutter attachment for this area. I have a few concepts in mind, just have not tried to make a workable version yet.

Here is how I fixed the wet floor issue. I experienced this on the first trip or two. Saw the motorhome next to me had small gutters at the bottom of each slide that were pitched downward from inside the seal to the outer edge of the slide. Went the following week to Camping World and bought a box of the vinyl self adhesive door and roof gutter. Cut to length, trimmed the outside edge to be rounded, so as to not damage the seal when the slide was coming out, and glued those to the bottom of the slides (all three). I have the outside edge about an inch from the bottom edge of the slide and the top edge about 3 inches from the bottom edge. When the slide close, the water washes over the top edge of the slide, down the side walls, and drains down the little gutters and out as you close the slides.

If you look around, you will see that almost ever motor home has these bottom gutters on their slides. You will get many ideas from a quick walk in a campground or RV sales lot.

I have to wonder why FR does not install a slide gutter on these units? It is very inexpensive fix, and would be a great selling point.
Old 10-29-2013, 11:58 AM   #8

I think in this case a couple of pictures would be worth more than a thousand words. This seems like something that would plague all of us and if there is an elegant solution that would be great.

Another thing I've noticed is how dirty that cathedral slide window next to the steps gets from the rain that comes down from the roof.
pengle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 03:46 PM   #9

Could you post pictures I want to do this!!!
Thanks

Tags
slide, slide out