Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-18-2013, 02:17 PM   #1

2014 36CKTS front side skirts let go

This happened to our new 36CKTS so I thought I would pass it along. On each side, near the front of the trailer, there are aluminum skirts that wrap under to cover the frame. Well, after a couple of trips of maybe 1000 miles or so, both sides let go where they're fastened at the frame. I had to re-attach them using large washers because the original small headed bolts/screws pulled through. I also used slightly larger screws, and more of them. When the right side one let go, it also cracked the bezel that surrounds the step so the dealer is going to replace that part under warranty. I could have taken the rig in to get that work done, but I'd rather do it myself on my own time and not have the thing tied up in the shop.
I am curious if this has happened to anyone else.
Demco Glide Ride pin box
Demco Hijacker UMS 21K hitch
mlatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 02:23 PM   #2

I had the same problem on my 2013 36CKTS on the driver side.
jerseyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 02:29 PM   #3

Interesting. The drivers side was the first to let go on mine too. Thanks for posting.
Demco Glide Ride pin box
Old 10-18-2013, 02:36 PM   #4

No issues here, but when I was in Middlebury, IN yesterday, I drove through the Coachman 5er lot and saw a brand new one with this problem.
Curt Q20

zs325RES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 05:02 PM   #5
Certified Curmudgeon

I was given a heads up on my one month old 2012 at an owners club rally. By the time I returned to a place where I could fix it, the rear screw had already torn the aluminum where it mounts to the frame.
I put one of the screws pictured below every 18" on both sides. I also put a screw through the side of the step plug to secure it. On the ODS, I replaced the screws at the rear of the panel by the waste pipe with pop rivets and a piece of aluminum backer to make it a triple thickness. I have driven over 10000mi since the repair and no problem. For those scoring at home I know of 3 other '12's and 13's with this problem. The only way not to have this problem is to leave it parked. It was suggested to the folks in Shipshe that a few more screws would be helpful...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-551538853.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	42.3 KB
ID:	41307  
Old 10-18-2013, 09:31 PM   #6

Hey Ducky,

Thanks for the post. Those screws pictured are the exact ones I used. I am a traveler, and I put close to 80,000 miles on my 2008 Keystone Lerado before I upgraded. I am very interested to hear from the other "travelers" what other issues will crop up if these rigs are used to their full potential. I appreciate your post. This is the only real issue I've encountered so far.

Cheers,

Murray
Demco Glide Ride pin box
Old 11-06-2013, 02:30 PM   #7

Murray,

We have a 2013 36CKTS Touring Edition with just over 8K miles on it and have had numerous issues. I'm hoping it's just my unit and not the general rule. Some of the problems are not necessarily Forrest River's fault and I will say they have been very good about responding to my problems. None the less, there have been problems.

Some are listed below:
Wiring problems with the level up system, the Satellite/TV cabling and the TV sound bar.
-One dining room chair was not assembled properly and was replaced
-The Day/Night shade in the dinning area broke in the first week was replaced
-The refrigerator RM 1350 would not operate properly and needed a visit from the Dometic Rep
-One refrigerator door was misaligned and required repair
-The black water clean out line was left disconnected from the anti-siphon valve
-All of the glass doors on the overhead cabinets had their hinges pulled out by the spring closures and required epoxy to secure the screw seats
-The upper half of the toilet came loose and leaked. It required repair
-The wireless receiver module for the remote that controls the awning, outside light and leveling jacks failed and required replacement
-The grey water galley tank can not be emptied and has an obstruction at the valve
-The main awning has become misaligned and will not close properly
-The overhead ceiling material is separating from the ceiling panels where the bands hold the panels together.

As I write, the unit is currently at the dealership having these last three items repaired. There are other items that were or have gone wrong since we picked up the unit in August of last year. I will be happy to share issues those with you as well. Just PM me.

I have owned three fifth wheels and this is the most problematic of the group. I expected some issues just because of the complexity of the systems, but this is probably a little over the top. Luckily none have been safety related and I hope that continues. Some I have been able to resolve myself.

Steve
2012 F350 King Ranch, Reese Elite 18 and Air Bags
Elkrun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 08:37 PM   #8

Any pictures of what this looks like underneath? Has me concerned that I should go out and climb under to take a look see...
2017 Days Planned: 135

38FLCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 08:40 PM   #9

I had that problem last summer on both sides of mine. I paid a visit to Lowe's and bought several packs of neoprene and galvanized steel fender washers. I spent a 1/2 hour unscrewing the self tapping screws and adding the washers. 1000 miles later, no problemo. I shake my head and wonder WTF is CC thinking when they do an install as such. We can't be the first owners to have that problem and I bet plenty have been fixed under warranty. Let's see.....mine was made in 2009 for a 2010 model year and here we have the same problems 3 years later. Unbelievable.
1986 Marriage to "Wifey" (patience of a saint)
rattleNsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 09:12 PM   #10
Certified Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by 38FLCamper View Post
Any pictures of what this looks like underneath? Has me concerned that I should go out and climb under to take a look see...
Really nothing to take a pic of unless it's hanging down or you see the skirt flapping in your side view mirrors. The easiest to see indicator is the red and blue low point drains suddenly disappear behind the skirt. Otherwise, you need to lay eyes on it. I suggest you start at the steps. That's the first one to give out.
Old 11-06-2013, 10:48 PM   #11

Same problem - ours is 4 months old with about 10,000 miles on it, and I saw it flapping in the side view mirror. By the time I saw it, all the screws had pulled out, there was a tear in the aluminum where it meets the bezel, and it was dented throughout. Not pretty. Local dealer is waiting for parts, and the last I checked it had been approved for replacement under warranty. But what's to keep it from happening again?? My plan is to drill holes and screw a strip of metal the full length down both sides. Very disappointing to hear it's been an issue for several years.
Mike&Nan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 11:14 PM   #12
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duckogram View Post
Discounting the post from the guy with Creek Envy above,...
Flagstaff's and Rockwood's put a metal strip down the entire length of the units.
Old 11-07-2013, 05:27 AM   #13

about a month ago I saw a new 36CKTS pull into our local dealership dragging is belly pan behind it, the whole thing let loose will driving.
bob34787 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 07:31 AM   #14
Certified Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob34787 View Post
about a month ago I saw a new 36CKTS pull into our local dealership dragging is belly pan behind it, the whole thing let loose will driving.
Oh my. I bet that took some talent. Especially getting all the sections to stay together.
Old 11-07-2013, 08:49 AM   #15

Ducky, that was EXACTLY my case. We were in Ohio sitting outdoors when I noticed my low point drain tubes had disappeared. Nope. It was the side skirt that had fallen down, hiding them. I can't believe they use screws with 3/8" heads for that type of application.
1986 Marriage to "Wifey" (patience of a saint)
rattleNsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 09:03 AM   #16
Certified Curmudgeon

I was on the full site yesterday and noticed a post where I was quoted and the poster stated that the Flagstaff and Rockwood low end lines have metal retaining strips securing the lower skirts. So I'm thinking there is a possibility for a beneficial mod here. Off I went to the FR websites to check it out. On those sites there is a photo of the unit's bottom. It looks like they are hanging from the ceiling like a toy airplane. What I found is that neither one of the stated models have skirts that wrap under the sides and attach to the bottom of the frame. Check it out for yourself: www.forestriverinc.com/flagstaff www.forestriverinc.com/rockwood The poster must be talking about the screw strip that attaches the decorative skirt panel to the sidewall.
Old 11-07-2013, 09:36 AM   #17
Mod free 5er

Just some shots of the way the bottom trim is attached to and held to the frame on the Flagstaff's & Rockwood's with an alum strip. This is a Flagstaff 5er. Was the same on our 08 Flagstaff 831RLSS. Had to replace a section when the skirt was damaged from a blowout.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC00511.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	15.1 KB
ID:	42372   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00512.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	18.4 KB
ID:	42373   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00513.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	18.0 KB
ID:	42374  
Old 11-07-2013, 09:48 AM   #18
Always Learning

Quote:
What I found is that neither one of the stated models have skirts that wrap under the sides and attach to the bottom of the frame.
Duckogram - can you show a photo of this skirting? I'm not a Cedar Creek owner, but like the other non-CC owners, we genuinely want to help. A lot of times there is cross-brand things that we can assist each other with. This might not be one of them, but without knowing what "skirting" you're referring to- we must be missing the mark.
Old 11-07-2013, 10:36 AM   #19
Certified Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
Duckogram - can you show a photo of this skirting? I'm not a Cedar Creek owner, but like the other non-CC owners, we genuinely want to help. A lot of times there is cross-brand things that we can assist each other with. This might not be one of them, but without knowing what "skirting" you're referring to- we must be missing the mark.
For you Big"D" anything.
Here is a minutes old pic of the door side skirt. The screw in the foreground is a Ducky installed option. It goes into the bottom of the end cap (plug) in front of the steps. The first bolt head is where the rip occurred hence the large washer. All the rest of the bolt heads were Ducky installed except for one. Not enough fasteners was the problem.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image-521830494.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	46.4 KB
ID:	42379  
Old 11-07-2013, 10:39 AM   #20
Mod free 5er

Quote:
For you Big"D" anything.
Here is a minutes old pic of the door side skirt. The screw in the foreground is a Ducky installed option. It goes into the bottom of the end cap (plug) in front of the steps. The first bolt head is where the rip occurred hence the large washer. All the rest of the bolt heads were Ducky installed except for one. Not enough fasteners was the problem.
So, the metal strips like used on the Flagstaff's & Rockwood's would be beneficial on the Creeks. IMO