Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-27-2014, 03:38 PM   #1

2014 Silverback

We are strongly considering the CC silverback would like to know the pros and cons from current owners ...
hdcampbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 04:11 PM   #2

We just picked up our 29IK the first of the month could not be happier with the build. Top quality only had like 4 little things to have fixed.took 5 days to get home from the dealer then first weekend camping so we have had time to check it over good. After months of looking at lots of brands and quality of construction I think it's the best built unit on the market.
R&J Silverback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 10:38 AM   #3

Which model are you looking at? I have the 33rl and really like it. No major problems yet.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Forest River Forums mobile app
kc8lvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 11:18 AM   #4

We are looking at 29RE or the 33RL
hdcampbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 01:19 PM   #5
Plain Old Member

Over all, well built units. However, don't go into it thinking it WILL all be perfect. We did lots of research as well, and it seemed to be a good RV for the money. Ours is having it's fair share of issues, the major ones being cracking front cap (twice), cracking outdoor kitchen door (twice), soaked slide out floor due to leaking, plumbing leaks and on it goes. Most things I fixed myself, others the dealer and CC is taking care of. Would I buy another, maybe. There are owners that have had virtually no problems at all, and then there are owners like me that after several months are still trying to get the bugs worked out of it. My philosophy, expect the not so great, and be pleasantly surprised when all is good. Overall, they are great, but with modern QC, some issues are to be expected now and then. We have owned 7 RVs of various types, and I have learned, if you have problems, sometimes you're probably better off fixing what you have. If you trade it off with the attitude of "I'm done with this brand or that brand" you may start over with worse problems than you had before.

CC has been known to take care of any issues, and so far they have been great taking care of us. I think you'll be happy overall with the CC line.
2013 Ford F-350 Lariat CC LB PSD
2015 SOB TT - With OC's Awning Poles (#8)
At least in Heaven, RVs will be perfect, and I won't have to keep fixing them.
BigJohnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 07:35 PM   #6

Just traveled 600 miles to S Florida and picked up our new 2015 Silverback 33rl.
Spent 2+ hours on the walk through PDA and 6 hours swapping put our "stuff". Spent 2 nights at a resort 5 miles from dealer and checked that thing out. Went through everything again . Only issue is a wall switch no one can figure out. Waiting for a factory response.
Really like this outfit . We added 2nd air, Trail Air hitch , top Serta Mattress, Whirlpool Convection Oven, fabric furniture . That's enough for starters
No issues on 2 day, 600 mile tow home.
Love we can open refer slide and easily enjoy lunch and breaks on the road.
They sold our trade unit literally within 1 hr!! People knew we were coming at 10am and were there at 10:10. They got the Outback home a day before we did.
SilverbackMel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 07:45 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverbackMel View Post
Just traveled 600 miles to S Florida and picked up our new 2015 Silverback 33rl.
Spent 2+ hours on the walk through PDA and 6 hours swapping put our "stuff". Spent 2 nights at a resort 5 miles from dealer and checked that thing out. Went through everything again . Only issue is a wall switch no one can figure out. Waiting for a factory response.
Really like this outfit . We added 2nd air, Trail Air hitch , top Serta Mattress, Whirlpool Convection Oven, fabric furniture . That's enough for starters
No issues on 2 day, 600 mile tow home.
Love we can open refer slide and easily enjoy lunch and breaks on the road.
They sold our trade unit literally within 1 hr!! People knew we were coming at 10am and were there at 10:10. They got the Outback home a day before we did.
What wall switch are you wondering about?
Old 04-29-2014, 07:49 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdcampbell View Post
We are looking at 29RE or the 33RL
We looked at both also but I liked the TV being across from the recliners and the DW liked the island in the kitchen. Both are good units but we preferred the 33rl.
What tow vehicle are you going to use?
Old 04-29-2014, 07:51 PM   #9

Wall switch

On the 33 rl as you come in the front door and approach the counter top of the sink area there is a flat toggle switch that operates something ?
Old 04-29-2014, 08:07 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverbackMel View Post
On the 33 rl as you come in the front door and approach the counter top of the sink area there is a flat toggle switch that operates something ?
Should be for the ceiling fan/light. The pull chains on the fixture might be in the off position.

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
2010 Ford F250 XL Crew Cab 6.4 liter diesel
ATU Local 788
Oakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 09:56 PM   #11

We have a 2014 29RE that's about 3 months old. So far, we've had no issues other than things I have broken. We couldn't be happier with the unit. Plus we downsized from a heavy 40 foot XLR to this 34 foot double axle and that makes me happy every time I pull out on the highway or pull into an RV park!

Danno
danno2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 09:34 PM   #12

We have the 2013 29RE silverback and really like it there are some things like every rv that I would have designed differently. There are also a few things i have changed. Overall we have been pleased with our unit. One of the things we do not like is the finish on the table. The waterborne finish they are using is not very durable. I am going to refinish over the off season this year with a oil based polyurethane finish. I would just make sure you have a good dealer to make the initial repairs to your unit. We had to have the cabinet doors aligned, decals on the outside repaired, water pump replaced, and a lot of loose fittings tightened. I also replace the bathroom sink faucet because the one that came with the unit didn't extend far enough into the sink and when ever you washed your hands the countertop got soaked.
brokenaxle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 10:24 PM   #13
Plain Old Member

Funny you mention the table. I'm of the same opinion you have. I'm fixing to stash the original one and build a more durable table in it's place. If we trade, I'll throw the original back in there. Stock table is just way to delicate for us. Changed out ALL faucets as well, for your reason, plus just general quality. Moen makes a pivoting bathroom faucet that looks almost like a miniature kitchen faucet. Found this at lowes and is excellent for the side mount in the master bath. In the kids bath, I went with just a longer neck (non pivoting) model since my kids would experiment with how much water they could get everywhere but the sink.

I hate to admit it, but I think I've put between $2000-$3000 worth of upgrades in this thing, just to get it where I was half way satisfied. Bad thing is, I'm not even close to finished.
Old 05-03-2014, 02:48 PM   #14

If not finding a great deal on an older Cedar Creek (2011 34RL) we would have bought one!
As mentioned by others, all makes can come with issues and go down the road getting knock about, but feel both CC and Sliverbacks are built well and have good owners feed back.
Hope this helps!
Past RV's: Misc.tents,V.W.Campers('65,'69) 2012 Arctic Fox 25S.
[B]Camping Day's: Never Enough
Little John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 12:36 PM   #15

One thing with both the CC and the SB is the hung walls seem to look wavy. We were at a CG about 2 months ago and a nice Cedar Creek was near us. As we walked thru the CG and looked at the sides you could really see the waves in the wall. Since they're hung that means they're only fastened at the studs allowing the wall surface between the studs to pucker. Does anyone else notice this?
There's also a SilverBack on a road I take occasionally and it too shows the wavy walls. I don't think it's an issue but appearance wise it's not really flattering.
goduc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 04:44 PM   #16

No issue with our new 2015! Looks great, smells great and tows like a dream! Trust me. I have prior experience. No waves in any part of this unit! Perhaps you are mis reading the reflections of the high gloss gel coat siding. Many, many compliments on the looks of this unit. Could not be happier!
Old 05-11-2014, 02:39 AM   #17
Plain Old Member

Never seen a wavy wall on one, or any other hung wall unit. On a laminated wall though, I've seen plenty of imperfections.
Old 05-11-2014, 09:15 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdcampbell View Post
We are strongly considering the CC silverback would like to know the pros and cons from current owners ...
We have a 2013 Silverback 29 RE no major issues, shower doors leaking! So far we like it a lot.
Old 05-11-2014, 09:33 AM   #19
Plain Old Member

Just curious, where is your shower door leaking? Ours was allowing water to splash out at the bottom between the door and base rail. Studied on it awhile, and adjusted the top rail / track down a bit, problem solved.
Old 05-11-2014, 02:36 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJohnD View Post
Just curious, where is your shower door leaking? Ours was allowing water to splash out at the bottom between the door and base rail. Studied on it awhile, and adjusted the top rail / track down a bit, problem solved.
two places, both were the glass frame touches the wall at the base of the shower. After a shower a little bit of water on the floor in those two areas.
kind of a neo angle shower?

Tags