Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-12-2016, 05:24 AM   #1

2015 Silverback Cabinets

On our new 2015 Silverback 29RE, we have had 1 instance where a rear cabinet came open during travel and upon opening the slide-outs, the cabinet door caught on the slide-out and damaged the door, the slide-out trim, and the cabinet door hinges. We had a similar issue with a kitchen cabinet drawer. Have others had similar issues, and if so, what are the tricks being used to prevent this from occurring again?
TXCPL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 05:31 AM   #2

I have used zipties on ours as well as the wide blue painters tape to secure our doors when traveling

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums 🇺🇸
heavynlori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 06:04 AM   #3

We use rubber bands on the two center cabinets in the kitchen as a precaution but fortunately we haven’t had any cabinets open during travel. For the rear cabinets you might try Heavynlori’s idea of painters tape.

One reason we bought the 29RL instead of the larger looking 29RE was we can inspect the cabinets without having to open any of the slides.

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
2010 Ford F250 XL Crew Cab 6.4 liter diesel
ATU Local 788
Oakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 08:10 AM   #4

On my older 2010 Cougar we would always have one or two cabinets doors open up. I installed baby door locks on the inside of the cabinet doors and drawers to prevent them from opening up. These were a latch system that you had to open the door or drawer a little and than push down on the plastic arm allowing the arm catch to pass the détente that was secured to the inside trim. This was cheap fix and hidden from view and never had a another door/drawer open up.
Old 04-12-2016, 08:30 AM   #5

Do your cabinets have the hold shut hardware it's a small spring loaded clip, the door has a piece that pushes into the clip. These can be adjusted to hold the door much tighter, I would try that first. It sounds like the door pin is not setting in the clip.
Rich5117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 08:41 AM   #6

We keep a roll of velcro on board at all times....just strips of velcro to hold doors shut...other single doors we use baby locks or I spread the jaws on the latchs so they are tight
My Steelpony....2007 HD Ultra Classic...done up in a memorial to the 343 firefighters who died 9/11
Never Ever Forget....yes I was a Volunteer FF for 20 years........
steelpony5555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 09:04 AM   #7
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

The little clips inside the cabinets can easily become misaligned, or may never have perfectly aligned to begin with. If a particular cabinet comes open easily, you can get a heavier clip at Lowes, Homedepot, Menards for about $1.00 I put a couple of these on a cabinet door with a TV mounted on it and it holds it securely.
AquaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 12:54 PM   #8
Traveling along

I have 2 inch wide ribbon that I use to tie the doors together. Lets me know that I am done with that cabinet also when getting the RV ready to move. Have a clip inside the door to hang the ribbon when not needed.
2019 Silverado 2500
2019 Primetime Crusader 29rsle
Bill and Margo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 09:00 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXCPL View Post
On our new 2015 Silverback 29RE, we have had 1 instance where a rear cabinet came open during travel and upon opening the slide-outs, the cabinet door caught on the slide-out and damaged the door, the slide-out trim, and the cabinet door hinges. We had a similar issue with a kitchen cabinet drawer. Have others had similar issues, and if so, what are the tricks being used to prevent this from occurring again?
Have a 31 RK and did the same thing new hinges and a little glue for the door and good as new. I use the white baby proof clips for the doors now. No more trouble.
Silverback Iowan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 09:14 PM   #10

On a related note and an upcoming disappointment to some of us with the Springdale Maple colored cabinets that came on the early 2016 on back a bit past the 2015 Silverbacks. FR's paneling supplier changed hands and the new supplier doesn't offer the color of paneling we have any more ... period. I tried to get a piece of the paneling a few weeks back and was told by the FR warranty/supply department it simply is not to be had anymore. Hope no one crashes an interior panel piece cause there isn't going to be a match.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 06:48 AM   #11

We had the same 2 problems in our 2015 Silverback RE. My wife found some large rubberized "twist ties" which we use to secure the cabinet doors at the rear of the trailer. The dealer is replacing the drawer slides and has rebuilt the drawer in the kitchen area. I haven't found a good solution for this problem yet. Otherwise we love our rig.
TXCPL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 08:51 AM   #12

As soon as the table slide opens up 6" to 12". Walk down the middle and look. Have had a door come open to learn to do this. Have had a remote and something else that would have been an issue. Look at bedroom slide before opening it to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
arpipeliner is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cabinets