Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-06-2016, 07:12 PM   #1
mdo

2016 29IK fresh water tank

I am trying to figure out where the fresh water tank is located under my 2016 29IK Silverback . I see the overflow hose and drain is behind the back axle. I was wondering if the tank is over or behind the back axle. If it's behind or over it should not put much if any extra weight on the pin box when tank is full. I just purchased this camper and haven't pulled it other than home from the dealer.
mdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 08:44 PM   #2

The tank is most likely directly above the drain hose slightly behind the rear axle. Mine is on my 33IK ... it was a leaker and had to be replaced before the first time we used it. We seldom if ever travel with a full fresh water tank ... usually about 1/4 or less for basic needs on the road.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 11:20 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdo View Post
I am trying to figure out where the fresh water tank is located under my 2016 29IK Silverback . I see the overflow hose and drain is behind the back axle. I was wondering if the tank is over or behind the back axle. If it's behind or over it should not put much if any extra weight on the pin box when tank is full. I just purchased this camper and haven't pulled it other than home from the dealer.
mdo, I think your right about the weight on the pin box. The fresh water on my 33IK is behind the rear axle and the center of gravity is forward of that so any weight you add via the water tank will remove weight from your pin box.

2016 Siverback 33IK, Towed 50K+ mile
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat 6.7L V8 Diesel 4WD Crew Cab

"If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there."
dalford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 12:49 PM   #4
mdo

Thanks, With our last camper (bumper pull) I would only travel with enough water to wash hands etc. But there are a few local campgrounds with only Electric sites. We are planning on filling our tank at home so we can shower over the weekend and not use the shower house at the park like we did before. After I get my new camper loaded I plan on taking it to scales and getting all my weights. I have only pulled it once and have never owned a fifth wheel before so I need to get learn all the things that go with towing one. Any Hints?
Old 03-07-2016, 01:45 PM   #5

So there are no fresh water spigots at the park entrances or dump stations? We have a portable filter housing and often use the above mentioned upon arrival. A fiver turns alot different (shorter) than a TT. Find a large parking lot and do some manuvering forward and back to see what I speak of. You'll waayyyyy more like how a fiver pulls. Make sure when hitching up, your pin box slightly rests your truck hitch head while backing into it ... otherwise you'll run the risk of high hitching as some call it. Use one of the teflon plates for the pin too as using grease like truckers is way too messy.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 02:15 PM   #6

I usually run with at least 40 gallons of fresh water, sometimes a full tank. We stop 2 or 3 times a day

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 04:28 PM   #7

Unless they have changed it is over the two axles. I have a 29rk and went to the factory and saw the location plus I have had the belly panels off on mine and saw the tank over the axles.
palmetto rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 09:02 PM   #8
mdo

The park has a water spigot but we like our house water. I have a well with a water softner and its great for showering (and my wife likes to wash her hair with it). Also when we get there for a weekend trip we can go right to a site, The park is only 80 mile from my house so the extra weight is not a big deal.

Tags
fresh water, tank, water, water tank