Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-25-2016, 09:40 AM   #1

2016 silverback 331k smoke detector

Can anyone tell me where the smoke detector is or should be in this coach? We have looked everywhere and still haven't found one.

Thanks!!
freedomfam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 09:42 AM   #2

Mine is a top of stairs, outside bathroom.
There should definitely be one!

2016 Siverback 33IK, Towed 50K+ mile
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat 6.7L V8 Diesel 4WD Crew Cab

"If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there."
dalford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 09:44 AM   #3

That's what we thought too. There is NOT one anywhere. We have to take it back for a few other things and now we know we have an issue with this. Thanks so much!!!
Old 05-25-2016, 12:22 PM   #4

Our is the same location as "Dalford's"
2015 Ram 3500 DRW
markfromark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 12:30 PM   #5

Well I guess that settles that. They left our smoke detector out. I guess our unit got built on a Friday huh? The central vac doesn't work either. Uggh Glad the dealer is local. Will get it in the shop to get all the kinks ironed out.
Old 05-25-2016, 01:51 PM   #6

Unless you have other issues for the dealer to attend to ... buying a detector and screwing it in the ceiling is no challenge. As for the central vac, open the panel directly to your left when in the curb side storage door and see if the vac is even plugged in to the outlet. Your dealer experience may be different, but the place I bought my fiver at is not worth the fuel to go back there.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 01:58 PM   #7

We do have other issues. The bathroom countertop and sink is cracked along with a few other things. The vacuum has a short...we have already been into the compartment to make sure it was plugged up. I understand the smoke detector is not an issue to put in however, since we haven't had it a week, we thought the dealer should handle it all.
Old 05-25-2016, 02:29 PM   #8

I understand ... sounds like a short version of all the quality of build issues I battled with mine all last year. They don't make em like they used to ... they just charge way more ... Ha!
Old 05-26-2016, 11:49 AM   #9

Cedar Creek Silverback

Every Silverback was built on Friday or Monday and Forest River and the dealership could care less about your problems
CapitolPCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 01:00 PM   #10

I sure hope not. Our dealer is very local and I feel certain will address our issues. If not, then we will know where not to buy again.
Old 05-26-2016, 04:00 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitolPCO View Post
Every Silverback was built on Friday or Monday and Forest River and the dealership could care less about your problems
Wow, nice positive post.

My Silverback has been pretty much trouble free and the couple of issues I had were taken care of very quickly and professionally by our dealer (Tri-Am RV, Ocala, Fl).

Freedomfam, get your issued resolved and enjoy your new RV..

Old 05-26-2016, 09:13 PM   #12

dalford ... if you've noticed, there is a growing number of new owners with multiple quality of build issues, not just a piece of trim loose here or a miss adjusted cabinet latch there. I had 3 pages of squawks including a cracked fresh water tank, deep scratches all across the back of my fiver, and a j panel with a propane tank door cutout that was so big, the propane tank door couldn't cover it. CW's tech's tore up more that they started out to fix. You were fortunate that you unit was an acceptable assembly and your dealer's techs had skills beyond staring at their cell phones. A good number of us have a bit of butt rash over what we bought ... we can only post commensurate to our experience.
Old 05-26-2016, 09:47 PM   #13
DDC

Smoke detecter is on ceiling above steps, co and propane alarm is a combined unit at bottom step,all I have so far is a slide seal missing a chunk of rubber and the wrong seats, I find the steps really hard to pull out and put back in might just be I'm not doing right.
Donald&Casey cairn terrier
Rest in Peace Mary my darling wife.
Scottish by birth Canadian by time.
DDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 12:47 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselguy View Post
dalford ... if you've noticed, there is a growing number of new owners with multiple quality of build issues, not just a piece of trim loose here or a miss adjusted cabinet latch there. I had 3 pages of squawks including a cracked fresh water tank, deep scratches all across the back of my fiver, and a j panel with a propane tank door cutout that was so big, the propane tank door couldn't cover it. CW's tech's tore up more that they started out to fix. You were fortunate that you unit was an acceptable assembly and your dealer's techs had skills beyond staring at their cell phones. A good number of us have a bit of butt rash over what we bought ... we can only post commensurate to our experience.

Hey Dieselguy, I feel your pain but I wonder how many owners like me sit on the side line and don't say anything because our units are acceptable. No unit is trouble free but when someone with 10 posts makes a blank statement the FR does not care nor does the dealer I kind of cringe.

I see on this site where some owners compliment FR for their support and some have a hard time. I wonder how many that have a hard time start their initial conversations with a bad attitude?

Anybody who has been on this site for any length of time should know the basic facts about the RV'ing...

Workmanship is not always top quality
Some of us are pickier than others
Stay away from Camping World, company stores, no real pride of ownership
If possible find a good, reputable dealer.
PDI, PDI, PDI...
Do not sign the paperwork UNTIL the problems are resolved to your satisfaction.
( I'm surprised you accepted your RV with those types of visible issues...)
Helps if you are handy with tools and can do repairs yourself
Buy a one ton truck (I should have listen to your advice) if your going to a 5ver
Once you work out the initial problems, life will be much better
Don't make any type of joke about someone's truck
And finally, I think FR does give a hoot and not all dealers are bad.

Old 05-30-2016, 10:23 PM   #15

We are thankful that our 2013 Silverback 33IK was build on a "Wednesday". I don't recall that we had to take it back for any "issues". We have pulled it to Phoenix area for 3 winters plus other areas, pulled it over 15,000, and lived in it over a total of a year. The only warranty work need was replacing the circuit board on the furnace. Saskatoon RV Superstore has been very helpful any time we need anything.
grandpacsf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 07:13 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDC View Post
Smoke detecter is on ceiling above steps, co and propane alarm is a combined unit at bottom step,all I have so far is a slide seal missing a chunk of rubber and the wrong seats, I find the steps really hard to pull out and put back in might just be I'm not doing right.
Don, if you haven't done so already, spray all the moving parts of the steps with a silicone spray.

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
2010 Ford F250 XL Crew Cab 6.4 liter diesel
ATU Local 788
Oakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 08:27 PM   #17
Global Nomad

Smoke Dector Missing

When I picked up my Cedar Creek, I pointed out during the PDI that the smoke detector was missing. They had extras in the shop and put one in. Same inexpensive detector you get at Target or Walmart.
2016 Cedar Creek 36CKTS (Center Kitchen Three Slides)

Scheinin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 08:37 AM   #18

We got the smoke detector and most of the other things corrected...this included the broken bathroom counter top. We were very pleased with our service at the dealer. We still lack a new doorframe and vacuum. The vacuum was totally defective and they will be putting a new one in whenever we take it back. The door was warped and must be replaced. Right now, we are camping and everything else appears fine. Will take back to the dealer when we get home. Still very please with our purchase and our dealer.