Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-20-2016, 07:53 PM   #1

29RE CC Silverback slide

Our 2014 (29RE CC) slide on driver's side with stove/fridge/two lazy boy chairs when "in" is about 3 - 4" up off the main floor along the edge...The other side is nearly flush with the floor. If you are getting something from fridge and stand on it it goes down slightly. On the outside all 4 sides are tight to the walls of the 5er..

Any one have this situation with any slide when in?

Jim
Jim in Halifax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 07:36 AM   #2

It all depends on how "square" they built the slide or how "square" the main wall is to the floor. When pulled in, the important part is whether the slide is pulled up fairly evenly to the outer wall which you say it is. Unless you see evidence of the wall or cabinetry pulling away from the slide floor ... I'd say that's the way your fiver is. My SOB's flush flooring slides (ones that drop down flush with main floor when out) all had a few inches between the floor and slide when retracted. The manufacturer addressed this fact with a memo in the owners manual not to stand on the slide edge when retracted. Has it always been this way and you are just now noticing? Have you taken a flashlite and looked under the retracted slide?
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 08:21 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in Halifax View Post
Our 2014 (29RE CC) slide on driver's side with stove/fridge/two lazy boy chairs when "in" is about 3 - 4" up off the main floor along the edge...The other side is nearly flush with the floor. If you are getting something from fridge and stand on it it goes down slightly. On the outside all 4 sides are tight to the walls of the 5er..

Any one have this situation with any slide when in?

Jim
Jim our 2013 (29RE) has both slides the same about 2-3 inches +/_ off the the floor when retracted. Never caused an issue. I made some wedges to fit underneath the drivers side slide so it may be used i.e. stepped on without damage, while on the road at rest stops. We only extend the passenger side slide at rest stops for lunch etc., and try to hang that slide over a curb or grass area! I think the important thing here is a tight fit i.e. good seal when extended and retracted and smooth operation!

On another note does your LH front landing leg have a large opening around it, when you are looking at it from underneath the trailer, ours had a big enough opening there that would allow you to drop tennis balls from inside to out??

Enjoy your trailer, we are heading out your way spring of 2017!
Old 04-21-2016, 09:53 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by prairiecamper View Post
Jim our 2013 (29RE) has both slides the same about 2-3 inches +/_ off the the floor when retracted. Never caused an issue. I made some wedges to fit underneath the drivers side slide so it may be used i.e. stepped on without damage, while on the road at rest stops. We only extend the passenger side slide at rest stops for lunch etc., and try to hang that slide over a curb or grass area! I think the important thing here is a tight fit i.e. good seal when extended and retracted and smooth operation!

On another note does your LH front landing leg have a large opening around it, when you are looking at it from underneath the trailer, ours had a big enough opening there that would allow you to drop tennis balls from inside to out??

Enjoy your trailer, we are heading out your way spring of 2017!
Good idea I will make a couple of wedges.....Never really paid attn to space until I caught my toes under it on our way home from Fl last week.
Re the opening ..Yes there is/was both sides a space but FR filled the gap with black/hard foam
I assume the adjustments on the outer side is to adjust the top to make a seal when fully out...
Old 04-21-2016, 09:57 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselguy View Post
It all depends on how "square" they built the slide or how "square" the main wall is to the floor. When pulled in, the important part is whether the slide is pulled up fairly evenly to the outer wall which you say it is. Unless you see evidence of the wall or cabinetry pulling away from the slide floor ... I'd say that's the way your fiver is. My SOB's flush flooring slides (ones that drop down flush with main floor when out) all had a few inches between the floor and slide when retracted. The manufacturer addressed this fact with a memo in the owners manual not to stand on the slide edge when retracted. Has it always been this way and you are just now noticing? Have you taken a flashlite and looked under the retracted slide?
Yes I did and did not see anything..hard to see!!! Also took awning hook and ran it across the floor....nothing

Slide coming in makes a lot of grinding noise so I thought I had a problem....I will have to put some grease on rails I guess!!! Jim
Old 04-21-2016, 12:00 PM   #6

Mine is exactly like yours. My wife worries about it also. I look at the seal on the outside and see that it is tight and even, so I try not to worry about it. I also try not to step on it inside when the slide is pulled in.
2020 Ford F350 Lariat, Crew Cab, Short Bed, Diesel, 4WD
Retired and trying to travel where it's warm. Not doing a good job of this during COVID in 2020.
pengle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 01:06 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by pengle View Post
Mine is exactly like yours. My wife worries about it also. I look at the seal on the outside and see that it is tight and even, so I try not to worry about it. I also try not to step on it inside when the slide is pulled in.
I never gave it much thought until I stubbed my toes under the opening....I will make up wedges (3 maybe) to put under when we are loading and unloading.....might even help to leave them there in transit...who knows "eh"!
Old 04-21-2016, 01:23 PM   #8

Jim, regarding the grinding noise upon retraction.

We too have a 2014 CC 29RE and after i picked it upm last summer I noticed that the bottom of the fridge slide out had a groove worn into it. on further inspection I found a rivet holding the carpet trim was standing proud of the trim and caused the groove and the tear in the black waterproof membrane. I contacted FR and was advised to grind the rivet off. I still have to do that and put some blue skin on the bottom to seal it up.

I am the second owner and it is out of warranty so I imagine there is no chance FR will repair it.
halliday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 08:48 PM   #9

I own a 2013 RE and am not sure if this was like it when I purchased it or it happened over time but my drivers rear slide seems to sit pretty far forward where the rear gasket is barely touching. The front one seems tight also. it goes in and out relatively smooth and easy. I've asked on several other posts as how to correct this issue if it is correctable. Has anyone else noticed this.
brokenaxle is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
slide