Old 08-12-2014, 09:24 PM   #1

32RL, 34RLSA, or 36CKTS ? ? ?

We definitely want a Cedar Creek 5th wheel, but are trying to decide which model among the 3 smallest ones. Seems to us that, by the time you take the 32 or 34, add a second AC unit and upgrade the axles and tires, you have paid the same price of the 36 CKTS. Seems the 36 is the best bang for the buck among the three because it already has the upgrades in addition to the additional room.

Old 08-12-2014, 11:08 PM   #2

We have been struggling with the same problem. The 36 is 3ft 2 inches longer than the 34 so that would negate our desire to down size to shorter fiver for pulling and parking ease. The advantage the 36 had over the 34 was you could get to frig when slides were closed. Well they just changed that on the 34 by moving the frig in same spot as the 36. Correct me if I am wrong but it appears that their is no difference now except the 36 has that extra length in the kitchen and front room area. I assume that is the only difference between the 36 and 34. ????

Old 08-13-2014, 02:30 AM   #3
Wayne & Kim

Having already bought a 36CKTS a year ago, I haven't seen firsthand the changes made to the 32 or 34, aside from just now browsing floor plans again. And I might be biased given my choice as well. But I'll share my thoughts anyhow

Among the things to consider are:

1) the 36 gives more counter space to the left of the stove. Not sure if you cook indoors a lot or not, but we have found that extra space to be quite nice. You also get the extra storage space that comes with the large drawers located under that area.

2) having access to the fridge while slides are in is a nice plus. If they made that change on the 34, kudos to CC! Much easier to stock and also access the fridge if you stop for a snack along the way

3) the 36 gives the option of an 18 cubic foot residential fridge with ice-maker and inverter. We absolutely love all the space this affords us and we no longer run out of ice (granted, it is just the 2 of us, and some of my beverages are consumed from a cold bottle ! ). When we were shopping, the residential fridge was a must have. We have been able to turn our inverter on the day before departing to let the fridge cool down (while in storage) prior to stocking it

4) think about TV viewing. When we were looking, they had a model 36RE which had the TV and entertainment center in the rear, which seemed like a good idea. But if you watch TV mostly from the recliners, you will constantly have your head turned, rather than looking straight on, or move the recliners for better viewing. On the 34, it looks like recliners are in the rear and you may have similar issues, and may not have same flexibility to move recliners to better position

5) you may or may not need a bigger truck for the 36. All 3 weigh a bit anyhow, so it may be a moot point. We use an F250 with added leaf spring (so it's like an F350, according to some opinions); most people will advise you to get a 3500 /f350 dually. We have been satisfied with our towing to date.

6) I don't know if the slightly shorter length will make much difference. Most of the places we've stayed in or looked at (granted, relatively close to home so far) but we try to visit campgrounds without the rig to see if we like the layout, etc. Regardless of which one you choose, it might be considered "big rig" so maneuvering will be about the same.

7) Slightly larger awning width (18 vs 16) on the 36. Might mean a lot if you like hanging outside!

8) this may be a regional thing, but I rarely found dealers with the 32 or 34 on their lots, but found no shortage of 36. Was a big deal for us as walking thru them was a necessity (was hard to pleas the wife!), and we didn't have to wait to order what we wanted - the unit we wanted spec-wise was out there waiting for us when we were ready to buy.

9) many if not all of the 36 units come with that 2nd AC unit standard - and that 2nd unit makes a big difference

Hopefully I didn't bore you with all this but I wanted to give you some food for thought. It is a big decision to make. We like you weighed the options and decided that for the price difference, might as well go bigger and have less chance of buyers remorse down the road. We love our unit, and I'm sure you will be equally happy with whichever of the 3 you decide upon !!!

2014 Cedar Creek 36CKTS
2011 Ford F250 King Ranch 4x2 Diesel, added springs
Nights camped: 2014 - 32; 2013 - 23
Wayne & Kimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 09:10 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvgwen View Post
We have been struggling with the same problem. The 36 is 3ft 2 inches longer than the 34 so that would negate our desire to down size to shorter fiver for pulling and parking ease. The advantage the 36 had over the 34 was you could get to frig when slides were closed. Well they just changed that on the 34 by moving the frig in same spot as the 36. Correct me if I am wrong but it appears that their is no difference now except the 36 has that extra length in the kitchen and front room area. I assume that is the only difference between the 36 and 34. ????
I would agree that the extra room seems to be in the living area. You also have some additional available options in your choice of refrigerators. The 36 comes with the upgraded 7000# axles and Goodyear tires which are a must, I feel. I don't want the Chinese made cheap tires. It also usually has the 2nd AC unit. A friend just bought one last year and said it pulls very well with an F250. One problem he cited is that they didn't upsize the inverter to deal with the larger residential size fridge electrical starting load.
Old 08-13-2014, 12:39 PM   #5

We just purchased the 32RL. Love it. We went with the shorter one mainly because we want to be able to park it at our house. We did have to drive to Arizona to get it, because we couldn't find any in New Mexico. The real living area is very roomy. The reclincers are accross from the TV so there is no problem with twisting around to view it. We haven't had any problems with it, but have only taken it out twice so far. Its the best thing we have purchased in a very long time.
Old 08-13-2014, 03:14 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by guerhi View Post
We just purchased the 32RL. Love it. We went with the shorter one mainly because we want to be able to park it at our house. We did have to drive to Arizona to get it, because we couldn't find any in New Mexico. The real living area is very roomy. The reclincers are accross from the TV so there is no problem with twisting around to view it. We haven't had any problems with it, but have only taken it out twice so far. Its the best thing we have purchased in a very long time.
Glad to hear you are happy with it. One couple with a used unit for sale told us they like the recliners in the rear so they can turn them around and have morning coffee looking out the rear window. We want to look at both the 32RL and the 34 RLSA, but can't find either within a days driving distance of our home. We have only seen the 36CKTS and were very impressed. We have a trip up north planned in early Fall and hopefully will get to see them. We just purchased a Ford F250 and are not in a big hurry to buy the 5th wheel. Our plan is to take our time and look at a lot of them, new and used. We learn something with everyone we look at. We just sold one albatross (a 39' boat) and want to make sure we don't strap on another too soon.
Old 08-13-2014, 03:23 PM   #7

Wayne and Kimmy,

Thanks for the details on your CC. That's just the kind of stuff those of us looking need to hear. If you can think of anything more please post again. A friend of our had a complaint that they didn't upsize the inverter to deal with the starting electrical load of the larger residential fridge compressor when he realized the fridge wasn't running while he was on the road. Have you experienced any such issue? That is one difference in the 32 & 34. The large fridge can be put in the 32, but not the 34.
Old 08-13-2014, 04:13 PM   #8
MC9

CC had a CKTS at the Goshen Rally last week, but not a 34 or 32. We oohed and ahhed at the CKTS. Then went back to our 34 and didn't regret buying it. My friend had a decked out 38FL and we oohed and ahhed at that but you really needed his dually. We winter in AZ and the second air has not been a problem. But, do get the Lippert 6 pt level up.
Old 08-13-2014, 04:43 PM   #9

The CC rep at the rally told us the 32rl was likely to be discontinued soon. She said demand was not there for it.
4WD SRW Diesel
JohnF is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 02:40 PM   #10

Owned a 2003 Cardinal 33CKTS for 10 years thought it was great. I was delighted when I saw CC made the 36CKTS. CC36CKTS is even better!

C.B.