Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-01-2016, 10:52 PM   #1

Question 33ik Silverback purchase

We are on the verge of purchasing the 2017 Siverback 33ik, but after reading the many threads on here, I'm wondering if we're making the right decision. I would love to hear from the many Silverback owners about their experience. Also, apparently the front cap fading is a major consideration. Does anyone know if this unit can be ordered with a painted cap? Anyone still having Dometic air conditioner problems? Rumor has it that Dometic made some positive upgrades, but I've seen no proof. Thanks for your input concerning these units.
ronp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 11:38 PM   #2

We love our 2016 33IK. No problems and have owned for about 10 months. Towed 5000+ miles.

Have had no problems with ac or have I heard of any. You have to remember that Dometic is used in most all RV's so if there is a problem it does not matter which brand you buy.

I understand the new IK's now have a white nose cap. No more brown bears which are the ones that have been fading. I have the brown bear but keep ours stored inside. No problems thus far but I keep waiting.

We have been fortunate as we have had little or no problems. Obviously some others have had some major issues. Do a thorough PDI and check everything and have it fixed before you sign anything.

I'm sure others will chime in. Good luck with you purchase...

2016 Siverback 33IK, Towed 50K+ mile
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat 6.7L V8 Diesel 4WD Crew Cab

"If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there."
dalford is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 06:34 PM   #3

We bought ours in August 2015 and have stayed 30+ nights in it. A defective CO detector is the only issue we've had. The dealer shipped me a new one and I changed it out and the problem was corrected. The front cap is white(pearl) and I think it looks great and I'm not too worried about it fading. So far (knock on wood) both AC units have worked flawlessly.

Mark
2015 Ram 3500 DRW
markfromark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 07:09 PM   #4

Hi,

We have a 2014 33RL with the sculpted gray nose cap, and are generally quite pleased. We've already had more than 150 days on the road and in long term snowbird sites.

As our 5th fifth wheel, we expected a few problems, and we had them. But they were relatively minor -- no front cap or air conditioner issues -- and our dealer (Holiday Hour, DeKalb, IL) did a fine job in working them out.

Hope this helps.

Rich Phillips
richp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 07:25 PM   #5

My 2015 33rl has a 2016 "oyster" cap. ( NOW) I am using a waterless, ez on and off, polish every 90 days. Looks great and takes 15 minutes to do the cap. Elements roll right off, water beads and rolls off and bugs do not stick!
Previously 2 fades.
Dometic in main cabin was defective the first summer. They replaced it.
If I can WARN YOU ABOUT ANYTHING, this is it: get up and seal or reseal every damned spot that looks like any water can fight it's way in! That means vents, a/c, antenna, AND every part of EACH slide! Ours came out of the factory with several UNSEALED AREAS!
BUY a small roll of Eternabond tape on line and stow it! You will need it sooner or later. Wear comes quickly at slide top edges where the hit rubber seals going in and out. DO NOT USE ETERNABOND WITHOUT GOING TO A SOURCE LIKE U TUBE.
That stuff is IRON!!
Also, those rubber seal strips on each front side of your unit, from the nose down to the belly ( ARE GOING TO FAIL YOU AT THE WORST POSSIBLE TIME) . Get SUPER GLUE stretch and seal. Mine was flopping in the wind 2 years ago and could have taken out a motorcyclist passing. I never noticed until I was on the interstate. Had to run Gorilla Tape ( another MUST HAVE) down the side to hold. UGH!
Boy scout motto: Be prepared!
SilverbackMel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 08:02 PM   #6

We just purchased the 2017 silverback 35ik and this is great info....

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk
junebug39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 08:26 PM   #7

Also, ensure you have the following:
* Tire pressure monitoring system.
Will save you money and heartache.
* Socket and ratchet that FITS huge water heater plug. ( Don't wait till first FREEZE)
* Torque wrench with lug nut sized socket.
Check your wheels OFTEN.
* winter blow out plug
Please learn how to drain ENTIRE WATER SYSTEM while nice weather. It's a TOUGH LESSON IN COLD, WIND!
Old 06-03-2016, 09:32 AM   #8

Thanks to everyone for the info. We're going to order the unit today. It seems I'm getting more positive replies, so that is great. I've had numerous fifth wheels Silverbackmel, so I understand exactly what you're saying. I do basically everything on my units, and I have all the tools, etc., I need to work on these things. Mel, what is the brand of polish you use? This unit will have the new light color cap, so hopefully that will help. Also, it appears to have the new series Dometic air conditioners, which I believe are the Blizzard Nxt series. I hope this is a good thing, but only time will tell. Mel, is the TMPS system you are using from CC, or is it an aftermarket unit? I definitely want to invest in that. My present unit has G rated tires, and I haven't had any problem with the tires. Wish CC would upgrade. We're in south Louisiana, so we don't have much freezing problems.
Thanks again for all the replies. Hope we have a good experience with this unit.
Old 06-03-2016, 09:39 AM   #9
Citrus County, Fl.

Not comparing apples to apples here because the Silvedrback uses the Penguin? Quiet Cool units but my Dometic AC has been replaced twice in less than a year. First one lost freon after 4 months and the second one a week ago. Dometic had no 15K units with a heat pump so this time I got the Penguin low profile and so far it is working. Only issue is the two year warranty from Dometic is from date of purchase so I have a bit over a year left on this one.

By the way, I love the floor plan you are getting, especially the cathedral ceilings.

Since you are in south Louisiana maybe you would like to attend the BamaGanza16 rally Oct 5-9 in Gadsden Alabama. There are a few sites left I believe and if DDC comes there will be another 33IK there which he has had about 2 weeks now.
99 Terry 31G
GL1800Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 09:54 AM   #10
Georgia Rally Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GL1800Rider View Post

Since you are in south Louisiana maybe you would like to attend the BamaGanza16 rally Oct 5-9 in Gadsden Alabama. There are a few sites left I believe and if DDC comes there will be another 33IK there which he has had about 2 weeks now.
X 2. I Got a good look at DDC new unit. Awesome. Later RJD
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4 3:73 gearing.(sold) (sold) 2015 Chevy 2500 6.0, 4:10
Traded 2015 30WRLIKS V-Lite
Days camped 2019 62
Days camped 2020 49 days camped 2021-74 2022-40 days 2023 5 days
aceinspp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 11:15 AM   #11
Citrus County, Fl.

RJ, your next 5er maybe? You know you want it.
99 Terry 31G
GL1800Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 12:12 PM   #12

Wax and TPMS

A. FW1.
Look up: www.fastwax.com
Ez use. "Wax on; wax off" 😄.

B. Tire Minder; TM66. They are out of Vero Beach, FL. Service is tops. Will guide you through any issue. Like I was in a hurry a year ago and got out of sync. They talked me through the reset. THERE ARE OTHERS WHO ARE HAPPY WITH THEIR SYSTEM. I am simply expressing MY experience. Had this system for 4 years. Truck has it's own factory system. I bought the system AFTER a blow out on prior 5er near Disney. Damage $2300. I paid; $1000 deductible plus the new tire!
Old 06-03-2016, 05:22 PM   #13

Well we bit the bullet and put it on order today. Now comes the waiting , which is always the hardest part. Thanks everyone for the info. Silverbackmel, I will be looking into the wax and tmps system immediately. Thanks for the info. Here's hoping that it comes in like ordered. It appears they are now using the new Dometic air conditioners, so hopefully that will be an upgrade. But you never know.

Thanks
Ron P
Old 06-06-2016, 07:35 PM   #14

Picking up our new 35ik next week can't wait.
httntheroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 08:05 PM   #15

I like the TST TPMS 507. There work great and really great customer service

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 10:09 PM   #16

Congrats hittntheroad . Hope it comes in with no problems. How long did it take to get it?
Old 06-07-2016, 07:32 AM   #17

I second spock123 as to the TST tire monitoring systems. They are easy to install and set up to your towing configuration. Their customer support is also exceptional. I've run em for 3 years.

AA
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 07:57 AM   #18

Be careful if installing a dryer vent. The electrical for washer and dryer were directly behind the "drill dryer vent hole here" sticker. Pretty careless for a major manufacturer.

2016 Cedar Creek Silverback 33IK
2008 Ford F-250 Crew Cab 4x4
mbbutler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 02:59 PM   #19

Silverback 33ik

We bought our Silverback in January, got it in March and have only had minor problems with it, loose sink faucet, staples that were sticking out of the window valances and putty in the cabinet staples that don't match the stain on the wood. Have stayed in it about 45 days so far and we are at the NASCAR race in Michigan right now. So far, so good. Hoping to meet new friends in August at the rally in Indiana.

2017 Silverback 33IK
2015 Dodge Ram Laramie crew cab 6.4 hemi
imjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 10:37 PM   #20

I thought the Dometic issue was fixed after 2015..my AC on my 2014 went south almost right away but was replaced.. Be careful with the kitchen faucet cause if you use the pull out sprayer it can work loose under the cabinet...hopefully you catch it quick. So 3000 miles on it and 3 months living in it and all is good....
My Steelpony....2007 HD Ultra Classic...done up in a memorial to the 343 firefighters who died 9/11
Never Ever Forget....yes I was a Volunteer FF for 20 years........
steelpony5555 is offline   Reply With Quote