Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-29-2013, 07:28 PM   #1

34RLSA floor movement

We have a vertical movement of our floor by the kitchen island, the side toward the rear of the rig. I would say the floor settles maybe up to a quarter inch when someone about 200# walks on it. Before I drop the black under carriage plastic panels I would like to know if this is normal. If not I would drop the panel but I am concerned that I would still not see anything due to a tank or two or insulation. This floor location is right between the axles. Has anyone ever took a look in there? Either the plywood floor is not fastened to the joist properly or the joist aren't fastened to the frame properly or maybe I'm missing the obvious? I find it somewhat surprising if it is normal that a floor moves this much and over the last couple of months is seems to have gotten worse.
frozen tundra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 08:37 PM   #2
Certified Curmudgeon

Big D,
Is the movement near your floor vent? I have been in the belly of the beast between the rear axle and spare tire carrier to inspect the slide ram inside mount. It's a pain and you will get a face full of sawdust to boot. The area you referenced is very close to your fresh water tank so as you thought, you may not see much. My floor flexes a bit behind the island when my "Cartman" saunters by. LOL
Any how, if you do go exploring, after the plastic panel you will encounter the aluminum foil vapor barrier, then the batting (with a layer of sawdust). At that point, you will be able to see into the belly.
If the tank is not in the way, you will see the Darko fabric under the subfloor. If you can find the soft spot, you will be able to see if the screws hit the joist and if the joist is stable. Don't forget, floor squeaks etc are specifically excluded from the 2nd year warranty....

hope this helps.
Old 09-29-2013, 09:55 PM   #3

Yes it does help and after your post I think I may need help!
The area you described is the exact area. After some investigation I found a screw starting to come up through the vinyl flooring. At the end of our island towards the ref. is a screw that isn't tight, kind of sticking up. I am hoping that the only problem is the worker guy missed the joist, ran out of time, or screws and this is the lone screw he put into this joist. I have been thinking of trying to put a few screws into the floor inside of the island where no one would see them but not sure if I would hit a joist and I don't want to put a screw through something that causes more damage. Because of the heat vent the joist(s) might do some crazy things under the floor and this joist(s) maybe fastened to another with little 90° angles and more screws, like the bedroom floor is built.

Another idea, get under there and "Great Stuff" the __ell out of it! Once that stuff sets up it seems to stick forever.

Good hearing from you Ducky. Thanks
Old 09-29-2013, 10:45 PM   #4

Tundra... what year is your 34RLSA?

Squeaks are one thing... but the kind of movement you're describing should be covered under warranty.
Old 09-30-2013, 04:52 PM   #5

It's a 2011
Old 10-20-2013, 06:56 PM   #6

I think I have my floor fixed! Took down the black basement panel, cut the silver vapor barrier, pulled back the insulation and I found there are two 1/4" bolts towards the center of the 5er that are about 16" apart. Found that neither had a nut on them, just a 2" long bold stinking through the steel joist that runs between the frame rails. Put some nuts on them, tightened and the floor tightened right up! HEY! I am assuming these bolts might be carriage head type bolts that go down through the floor by the register in the living area. There appears to be some type of a rigid type of insulation right under the floor, it's black, didn't cut it open to check it out because once I tightened the nuts all is well. Patched everything up and it's almost ready to roll again. Total job, one hour and 45 minutes. The factory guy would have needed 2 minutes to do his job correctly! Peace of mind knowing nothing appears wrong with the frame.
Finished in time to watch the Green and Gold win another one!
Old 10-20-2013, 07:50 PM   #7
Certified Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by frozen tundra View Post
I think I have my floor fixed! Took down the black basement panel, cut the silver vapor barrier, pulled back the insulation...
What! No face full of sawdust? I'm impressed. LOL

Nice work ( for a cheesehead. )
Old 10-20-2013, 09:13 PM   #8

There wasn't any sawdust in mine, you must have it all! Thanks for the help ducky. After looking in the belly of this thing it could be easily insulated better but would it make much difference, I doubt it. The walls loose a lot of heat and the windows even more.

This area was directly to the rear of the water tank. Do you recall seeing any bolts in yours? There are no screws that come through the iron joist and you can not see any aluminum floor joist. I sure would like to know how this thing is put together, maybe a trip next summer to the factory??
Old 10-20-2013, 09:56 PM   #9

Quote:
There wasn't any sawdust in mine, you must have it all! Thanks for the help ducky. After looking in the belly of this thing it could be easily insulated better but would it make much difference, I doubt it. The walls loose a lot of heat and the windows even more.

This area was directly to the rear of the water tank. Do you recall seeing any bolts in yours? There are no screws that come through the iron joist and you can not see any aluminum floor joist. I sure would like to know how this thing is put together, maybe a trip next summer to the factory??
Did you take any pictures?
Old 10-20-2013, 10:08 PM   #10
Certified Curmudgeon

Quote:
...After looking in the belly of this thing it could be easily insulated better but would it make much difference, I doubt it. The walls loose a lot of heat and the windows even more. This area was directly to the rear of the water tank. Do you recall seeing any bolts in yours? ...
No doubt about the insulation. As for the bolts; No, I did not see any as I was farther back where the rams are. That's a few feet (1belly panel) behind where you were due to the extra length.