Old 10-17-2013, 12:18 PM   #1

34RLSA Furnace Duct

Howdy all,

Working through the many usual quality control issues on our new RV

Noticed that the furnace air flow is half of what weve seen on previous RVs. Got to looking closer at the short duct that runs from the bottom of furnace to the main duct line, and found that it is only about 1 high, whereas the main duct is 4 or 5 high. It appears they had to shorten the duct height to get clearance over one of the holding tanks. Im going to get deeper in there today and measure the square inch area of that short duct to see if it even meets the minimum size specified in the furnace manual. Thinking that this might also cause the burner to short cycle due to restricted air flow/heat exchanger hi-temp.

I'm thinking that a couple extra 4" round flexible ducts from the furnace to the main duct would be the best fix....

Can someone with a 2014 RLSA take a look at their furnace duct in their basement and see if this is common to our model?

Thanks!

Old 10-17-2013, 12:52 PM   #2

How did you get to this area? By removing the air access cover in the kitchen or through the basement?

I will take a look at mine in a day or two. Haven't had the furnace on but for a couple of minutes just to see if it was working. There didn't seem to be much air coming from the register in the bedroom but my previous Sabre didn't either.

ret2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 02:27 PM   #3

Yep, looked at the furnace airbox from both the kitchen return air vent and from the basement behind the moveable black cover behind the water valve box. From the basement is where you can see the size of the duct that drops out of the bottom of the furnace and runs over to the main duct.

I'm noticing a lot of difference in air flow from the Dutch Star motorhome we just sold....

Thanks for taking a look.
Old 10-17-2013, 09:15 PM   #4

We has a 34rlsa and I have not noticed as issue with the amount of air coming from the duct. The timing of your post could really help me out. We have some vertical floor movement by the end of the kitchen island going to the living space. I have been thinking about removing the black basement panel and taking a look but I assume their might be all kinds of stuff in the way and i will not be able to see any floor joist or supports between the frame. Could you reply with comments about taking down the panel and how the floor is framed in this area. One gentleman thinks the steel cross member(s) between the frame may have broken welds. Not good.
Even better would be a picture or two or send me a private message. Any help is appreciated.
Old 10-18-2013, 09:31 AM   #5

Tundra,
The black plastic cover I mentioned is just tucked in behind the water valve box and just bends out of the way for access to the area. I doubt you can see the far end of the island floor from that vantage point. Sorry I couldn't provide much help on your issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by frozen tundra View Post
We has a 34rlsa and I have not noticed as issue with the amount of air coming from the duct. The timing of your post could really help me out. We have some vertical floor movement by the end of the kitchen island going to the living space. I have been thinking about removing the black basement panel and taking a look but I assume their might be all kinds of stuff in the way and i will not be able to see any floor joist or supports between the frame. Could you reply with comments about taking down the panel and how the floor is framed in this area. One gentleman thinks the steel cross member(s) between the frame may have broken welds. Not good.
Even better would be a picture or two or send me a private message. Any help is appreciated.
Old 10-18-2013, 01:16 PM   #6

Here are a couple of pictures of my CC 34 RLSA heat duct. It looks a little higher than 1 1/2 ", maybe 2 1/2".

Is this the way yours looks?

ret2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 03:16 PM   #7

Yep....looks just like mine. Now if you consider what you see reflects the height of the duct and the 5/8" plywood floor, the actual duct is only about 1 1/2" or so high. I'm still going to measure/calculate the inside sq.in. of the duct, and see if that meets the minimum size in the furance manual. If not, I'll probably add a couple 4" round ducts from the furnace to the main trunk line.

Ret.....Thanks for the pictures and comparison.

Tags
furnace