Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-29-2019, 03:00 PM   #1
wls

3500 watt generator

I have a kipor 3500 synwave generator. I thought about carrying it when I camp, just in case. I used it on my older 5th wheel, did not have a surge protector with, or on it. My question, I hooked the kipor to me 5th wheel, it does have a hardwired progressive industries surge protector. The protector would not let the juice past it, says open ground. So basically it is useless to me. I did hook my 10,000 watt generator, that has a 50 amp plug, runs everything in the camper, even with 2 airs kicked on. But it is noisy. Any ideas as to what I could use for a 3500-4000 watt gen, or something that I could do to use my Kipor. I did run a jumper wire, from the ground clamp on the gen, to a ground stake, 8' in the ground. Thanks
2008 Dodge 3500 Dually, Cummins. Amsoil Bypass Oil Filter, 36 Gal aux fuel tank. Mag Hytec Trans pan. Mag Hytec Diff Pan. 6 speed autostick. 3:73, Timbrens, Smarty JR. Equipped.
2016 Cedar Creek 38FB2, Hydra Star disc brakes,
400 watt Rich solar on top,200 watts of suitcase
wls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2019, 03:24 PM   #2
Always Learning

You need to make an “Edison plug”:
https://learntorv.com/generator-may-...with-your-ems/
Old 09-29-2019, 03:56 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
You need to make an “Edison plug”:

X2 ... Yep, ependydad is right, easy to make and works, ... here's a YouTube video that shows how ...

fella10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2019, 04:28 PM   #4

More than likely all you need to do is use the ground lug on the generator. It would be fairly easy using a single conductor test cord similar to the attached picture connected to a nail on lag bolt in the ground. Then the generator would be properly grounded.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	D04DB6A3-8199-4155-9EA4-E424F69CD87A.png
Views:	72
Size:	187.3 KB
ID:	216157  
simiHal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2019, 05:56 PM   #5
wls

Thanks everyone, built a plug for it, works great
2008 Dodge 3500 Dually, Cummins. Amsoil Bypass Oil Filter, 36 Gal aux fuel tank. Mag Hytec Trans pan. Mag Hytec Diff Pan. 6 speed autostick. 3:73, Timbrens, Smarty JR. Equipped.
Old 09-29-2019, 07:17 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by simiHal View Post
More than likely all you need to do is use the ground lug on the generator. It would be fairly easy using a single conductor test cord similar to the attached picture connected to a nail on lag bolt in the ground. Then the generator would be properly grounded.
This won't cure the issue the OP is having. His EMS is looking for a "bond" between the ground and neutral. When hooked to shore power this is present in the supply system. Generators don't have neutral bonded to ground thus the need to use the "Edison Plug".

BTW, if one doesn't have or want to buy a replacement plug to make this here's an alternative.

If you have an old broken power tool WITH 3-Prong plug, Cut a 6" piece off the cord, including the plug. Strip back the insulation, cut off the black wire, then strip and twist together the White and Green wires. Put a wire nut on it and tape it up all nice and watertight.

This will provide the "bond" needed to fool the EMS into accepting power from the generator.

Often people have 3-prong plugs that are molded onto the end of a defunct power tool, extension cord that got run over by the lawnmower, etc. Saves a trip to the hardware store.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2019, 08:29 PM   #7
wls

Thats what I did

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
This won't cure the issue the OP is having. His EMS is looking for a "bond" between the ground and neutral. When hooked to shore power this is present in the supply system. Generators don't have neutral bonded to ground thus the need to use the "Edison Plug".

BTW, if one doesn't have or want to buy a replacement plug to make this here's an alternative.

If you have an old broken power tool WITH 3-Prong plug, Cut a 6" piece off the cord, including the plug. Strip back the insulation, cut off the black wire, then strip and twist together the White and Green wires. Put a wire nut on it and tape it up all nice and watertight.

This will provide the "bond" needed to fool the EMS into accepting power from the generator.

Often people have 3-prong plugs that are molded onto the end of a defunct power tool, extension cord that got run over by the lawnmower, etc. Saves a trip to the hardware store.

Tags
3500, 500, generator