Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-09-2013, 06:34 PM   #1
CCRVOC

36 CKTS a/c Air Filter

Nope, still have not picked up my new 5er yet, but the waiting is generating questions.... Where is the filter for the a/c units (front and rear). I know it is not in the normal position directly under the unit where the air intake is normally.....
Inquiring mind (mine) needs to know !

Thanks
Reck
Ramblin Recks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 06:36 PM   #2
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramblin Recks View Post
Nope, still have not picked up my new 5er yet, but the waiting is generating questions.... Where is the filter for the a/c units (front and rear). I know it is not in the normal position directly under the unit where the air intake is normally.....
Inquiring mind (mine) needs to know !

Thanks
Reck
If its not in the normal place I'm not sure where else it could be.

What model a/c's ?

Turbs
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 06:43 PM   #3
CCRVOC

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1100turbo View Post
If its not in the normal place I'm not sure where else it could be.

What model a/c's ?

Turbs
The 36 ckts has ducted air intakes, so you don't "see" the regular plastic grill with air filter under the a/c unit. The rear is a 15K Duo -Therm HP and the front is a 13.5K Penguin.
Old 07-09-2013, 07:07 PM   #4
Certified Curmudgeon

The bdrm AC is a penguin 13,5k with the standard foam filter behind the grill.

The main is a HP 15k BTU. There are 2 return air ducts in the ceiling 6 ft from the
rear of the trailer. You must unscrew the
the metal grills (square drive) to access the
foam filters.

Notes from the book of experience:
You can get sheet foam AC filter material from Home Despot and cut some spares so you can get the AC back in service while the filter is drying.

AC bolts (4) must be checked annually. The front AC bolts are accessed from the inside by removing the entire plastic grill (4 screws). There are yellow tabs to gauge gasket compression.

The rear AC is accessed from the roof by removing the cover (8 screws). Tighten the bolts with a 9/16 socket and 12" extension to clear the compressor. I learned this one hard way as I developed a water leak last week.
Old 07-09-2013, 07:55 PM   #5
CCRVOC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duckogram View Post
The bdrm AC is a penguin 13,5k with the standard foam filter behind the grill.

The main is a HP 15k BTU. There are 2 return air ducts in the ceiling 6 ft from the
rear of the trailer. You must unscrew the
the metal grills (square drive) to access the
foam filters.

Notes from the book of experience:
You can get sheet foam AC filter material from Home Despot and cut some spares so you can get the AC back in service while the filter is drying.

AC bolts (4) must be checked annually. The front AC bolts are accessed from the inside by removing the entire plastic grill (4 screws). There are yellow tabs to gauge gasket compression.

The rear AC is accessed from the roof by removing the cover (8 screws). Tighten the bolts with a 9/16 socket and 12" extension to clear the compressor. I learned this one hard way as I developed a water leak last week.
Sounds like I need to carry a ladder to remove the return ducts.. At least I should be able to reach them in the bedroom as it is ducted also. Wow four times the "work" to clean the filters! Good advice on the extra filters and tightening the ac unit on the roof. Too bad about the leak, that really stinks. Where did the leak appear on the ceiling, seeing how the ac is not exposed on the inside ?
Thanks
Reck
Old 07-09-2013, 08:11 PM   #6
Certified Curmudgeon

Just a step stool will work. Also helpful for the shelves above the closet and the top of the Hoosier Cabinet.

The leaking water ran off the back edge of the last full ceiling panel, into the retaining strip, then over to the ODS wall where the retaining strip meets the crown moulding. From there it dripped on the top of the valance over the emergency exit window then leached down to the scalloped bottom edge of the valance ending with a puddle on the end table. Good thing the kids were sleeping on the air bed and the splash woke them. No damage noticed.
FYI: the ceiling panels are held up by the retaining strips which clip into a track that runs the width of the trailer. i.e., the panels float... pun intended.
Old 07-09-2013, 08:39 PM   #7
CCRVOC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duckogram View Post
Just a step stool will work. Also helpful for the shelves above the closet and the top of the Hoosier Cabinet.

The leaking water ran off the back edge of the last full ceiling panel, into the retaining strip, then over to the ODS wall where the retaining strip meets the crown moulding. From there it dripped on the top of the valance over the emergency exit window then leached down to the scalloped bottom edge of the valance ending with a puddle on the end table. Good thing the kids were sleeping on the air bed and the splash woke them. No damage noticed.
FYI: the ceiling panels are held up by the retaining strips which clip into a track that runs the width of the trailer. i.e., the panels float... pun intended.
LOL..floating panels....Sounds like you had to do some investigation work. Glad you found the source and thanks for sharing the fix!

Reck