Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-09-2013, 04:44 PM   #1

36 CKTS Window leak and broken shades

I have a 2013 Creek, 36 CKTS. Have lost 4 shades so far, in the first year, to frayed, then broken strings in the shades. It is a pain, for sure. Not sure what to do going forward, as every string is frayed, on the ones that haven't broke yet. Just a matter of time. I read that the tension was too tight, but seems like that didn't work. Couldn't keep the shades up without tension, and it seemed like they needed a lot of tension to work. Any ideas??

And I have a leaking side window, driver side far back. And my neighbor, who has 2013 CKTS has a leaking window, passenger side far back. What's up with leaking windows? All caulking looks good, and I did a water test and couldn't duplicate the leak. Yet my side table has some water damage from the leaks. Getting tired of putting towels on my table tops when it gets cloudy.

Otherwise, a pretty good experience with our CC.
rvguy1954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 05:19 PM   #2
Certified Curmudgeon

The shades are a pain for sure. The fix is to replace them with MCD roller shades. Otherwise, you can try soap on the strings to ease the chafing.

The leak in the rear (either side) is most likely not the window. It's your roof mounted A/C seal. Have you tightened the 4 bolts yet?

Hope this helps.
Old 11-10-2013, 06:36 AM   #3

I had the "window" leak when I first got my 36CKTS. I had sprayed the window with a garden hose and could not duplicate it. Then while working on it, I had the AC running and noticed the leak. Since I had it under our RV shelter, it couldn't be rain. I knew it had to be the AC. I took it to the dealer and the Tech found that the AC was too far forward by 1 inch and the condensate was dripping into the duct and then onto the ceiling. Since the ceiling slopes down to the back of the RV, it then ran down the wall onto the tables. Anyway, all fixed now!

2012 Cedar Creek 36CKTS Touring Edition
2015 Ford F-350 CC DRW Lariat
Joe_GA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 10:36 AM   #4

36 CKTS window leak and broken shades

I have only noticed the water in the window during rain storms. But with what I am hearing, the water could be coming in the AC unit, running down the walls and out the window casing. I will review the AC unit and seals.

Soaping the strings on the blinds, why didn't I think of that. Where do I get the roller shades when I want to replace the day/nights? How much per shade, approximately?

thanks,
Old 11-10-2013, 11:16 AM   #5
Certified Curmudgeon

You can go to the manufacturers website to find a dealer near you:
http://www.mcdinnovations.com/index....aynight-shades
I have not checked on pricing.

The main AC gasket is just like the front AC's. The difference is that you access the bolts from the top. This involves pulling the cover off the AC, about 10 torx or hex heads. You will see the bolt heads easily. You will need a 10-12" extension and a swivel socket to get at the bolt under the dryer. I think it's a 9/16 head.
Be careful not to over tighten. The bolts are in nylon grommets.
Old 11-11-2013, 07:59 AM   #6

Smile Tried the fix

Yesterday, got on the roof and worked on the A/C unit. Found the screw heads, and they were a little loose, but not overly. Also found a small "bubble" in the roof material next to the seal and possibly could have caused a dam affect, forcing some potential rain toward the seal, and not away from it. Also found the material was "bubbled" to the outside wall along a seam in the roof decking, toward the leaking window. Removed all the screws, flattened out the bubble next to the "hole" and replaced the AC unit and tightened all 4 screws in roof decking. One screw seemed to over tighten, oops, but not just spinning. I had some 5/8 round insulation used for my water supply hoses. Took some and placed under the front side of the A/C unit, acting to redirect water "around and away" from the front seal (one potentially loose screw in the future). It provided a very tight seal under the AC housing. Took a water hose and tested. Water was redirected around AC unit, as proposed. Ran water for a while, no leak in window, but did not run for a long period. Hope this works when it really rains!

If one screw over tightened, what is the fix?

Thanks for your input. I would have never put the water in the window to possible AC unit leak. Got the soap out and soaped the strings in the shades. Should get another few months out of the shades till they implode again.

Dave
Old 11-11-2013, 08:27 AM   #7
Certified Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvguy1954 View Post
... If one screw over tightened, what is the fix? ...
I never pulled the A/C so I do not know how the grommets are fastened. If you stripped the inside you might be able to use an oversized screw (not longer ;-). If it's spinning in its mount that's a whole different issue.
Old 11-12-2013, 07:48 AM   #8

over tighten screw

I will do an inspection after some time has passed and we are using our AC again. We have our first freeze warning of the season, so running the AC is not a worry for now. The screw is not turning around and around, so it has some bite left. When I removed it, it looked like it went directly in to the roof decking. If it do have problems in the future, I will get some more advice, for sure.

Thanks again for the posts.
Old 11-13-2013, 01:25 AM   #9

The strings in the day night shades all failed...go to your local fabric place and tell them you need string for your blinds...they have different sizes. Choose the right one and re-string them yourself...I have done all of mine in my CC. I even re-string blinds for other people...lots of good how to on you tube.

2006 F350 6.0 with 3.73 gears, 4X4, Extra-Cab Long Box, Oil/Tranny/P.S. Coolers. Coolant filter. SCT Livewire.
2011 Cedar Creek 36RE, Auto levelers + too much to list..!
puff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 02:54 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by puff View Post
The strings in the day night shades all failed...go to your local fabric place and tell them you need string for your blinds...they have different sizes. Choose the right one and re-string them yourself...I have done all of mine in my CC. I even re-string blinds for other people...lots of good how to on you tube.
Did you replace your failed strings with heavier strings or did you have to stay with the original size?
Old 11-13-2013, 09:49 AM   #11

I was able to get a heavier string from my local "Fabric Land" the ladies were very helpful. Re-stringing the blinds is not hard, just need to pay attention to the route of the string.

I charge RV'ers with broken day/night shades $25.00 for small 2 string blinds and $50.00 for the larger 4 string ones, that includes re/re..! I noticed your a little far away from me....lol.

2006 F350 6.0 with 3.73 gears, 4X4, Extra-Cab Long Box, Oil/Tranny/P.S. Coolers. Coolant filter. SCT Livewire.
Old 11-24-2013, 11:04 AM   #12

still leaking

Well, the rains returned and so did my water leak in the rear side window. Looks like I am back to square one!
Old 11-24-2013, 12:59 PM   #13

Can you take a picture of the window and where it leaks and post it..?

Old 11-24-2013, 08:03 PM   #14
Certified Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvguy1954 View Post
Well, the rains returned and so did my water leak in the rear side window. Looks like I am back to square one!
Sorry to hear that. You might have the same issue GA Joe had. Hope you find it before mold becomes an issue.
Have a happy Turkey Day.
Old 11-26-2013, 08:16 AM   #15

photo to come

I will try to get a good photo this weekend. I will have to take off the window box, to get a good photo of the top of the frame. My gut feeling is the wall also has a lot of water in it. Not sure the fix to check that out. But will keep posting until the water monster leaves and goes elsewhere. Hopefully, not to your RV.
Old 11-30-2013, 10:09 PM   #16
Old Member

Send a message via Skype™ to mikey
Agree w/ Ducky, will be takin these POC day-night shades out & replace them with MCD Roller Shades in the downtime after New Years,
Old 12-01-2013, 09:41 AM   #17

I've been to the MCD site several times, downloaded Quicktime several times and cannot watch the videos. Is anyone else having this trouble? I'd like to see what these shades look like, but no luck.

2012 Cedar Creek 36CKTS Touring Edition
2015 Ford F-350 CC DRW Lariat
Joe_GA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 02:28 PM   #18

I can see the videos. They don't show a lot.

The down side I see with these is that they don't appear to have anything to stop them from flopping at the bottom while you're traveling. I think I'll call on Monday and ask them.
BarryD0706 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
leak