Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-11-2013, 09:06 PM   #1
Plain Old Member

36B4 - Questions, Input, Comments Please

In the next year or so, we're more than likely selling our home and doing the full time thing. The CC 36B4 is at the top of the list, but, there are things that I don't understand, and don't care for. Same goes I guess with ALL makes and models.

First off, it's a bunk house dog gonnit, which usually means kids, which usually means BATH, at least in our family. I know it can be done, as several competitors already do a tub in this floor plan. Our mobile scout had a one piece fiberglass garden tub in it that my wife could sit down in. Has anybody approached Cedar Creek about a tub option, or does anybody have a good contact of someone like a factory rep? This is not a deal breaker, but, I do know an excellent RV customizing shop and I'm not past taking a sawzall to the shower and putting a nice tub in.

Second, the darco under the slideouts. I've read a few posts / threads on here about the black darco under the slideouts tearing or ripping. Some have mentioned putting some sort of plastic strips or something like that under the slides then readjusting. I'd be interested to hear from others a little more info on these strips, and a picture of them would be great. This is where you wish all divisions of Forest River would get together and exchange notes and ideas. Our Forester for instance, has a nice white slick fiberglass under both slides. Easy to clean, no tearing etc etc. The last 3 RV's had some sort of solid surface material under the slides. So, if this is a problem, why not fix it. Several other FR products have a better underside of the slides.

Third, return air vents. alright, good idea. Tiffin, Entegra and several others do this on the high end motorhomes opposed to the traditional quick cool vent set up. But, think you might want to change the filter? In other words, something more like your house, or other RV's that have a grill that opens to insert the filter, then snaps back up. On the cedar creek, best I can tell you have to keep removing the screws over and over to change the filters. Eventually I can see that grill ending up on the floor unless you've put sheetrock anchors up there. I've always been told by the dealers, you hardly ever have to change filters, maybe once a year. Sorry charlie, a month is the longest we'll go with a filter, then it's changed. As much as we use one, the filter is pretty rough after a month.

None of these are deal breakers. I love this fifth wheel, but just wondering if anybody has approached Cedar Creek about these things.

Any input from others that own this unit would be much appreciated. Same goes for anybody that actually lives in a Cedar Creek full time. How is it holding up with the full time use?
2013 Ford F-350 Lariat CC LB PSD
2015 SOB TT - With OC's Awning Poles (#8)
At least in Heaven, RVs will be perfect, and I won't have to keep fixing them.
BigJohnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 02:38 PM   #2
Full Timer

Our youngest was under one when we started traveling in the 36B4, and we ordered ours. We have talked about no tub but we love the shower and it has worked great I bought a longer hose for it, The kids missing talking a bath and playing sometimes. Never asked about getting one though.

I haven't had problems with the Darco, and its been a year so far.

You are right about the air returns in the back, we have settled on cutting foam and sticking it on the outside of the grill, and they do get dirty quick

We love the 36b4 and have fulltimed a year and it has held up great. It seemed to be the best production bunk model fifth wheel. It has held up great and shows no wear. The only problems have been minor things, which is important if your fulltiming with a family.

Ford Western Hauler
2013 CC 36B4
life2short4nofun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 03:37 PM   #3
Plain Old Member

Thank you so much for the feedback. Couple of more questions if you don't mind.

In the back bunk house, what is in the cabinets / closets on the back wall on each side of the window? Is it a hanging rod? We have been unable to look at one in person nor find pictures of the inside of the closets.

Are the AC intakes in the bunk house room, or located in the kitchen / dining area? Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the front AC is the typical installation with the quick cool grill. Just the back AC has the return air grills on each side.

Do the dual AC units have any trouble keeping up in the dead heat of the summer. I'm not sure where yall park the most, but we'll be around Louisiana for at least the first year, so hot and humid is a given. The last fifth wheel we had did have 2 - 15k units, and it kept up fine, but it was only 33 feet long with 2 slides.

Did yall get the generator option? I've gotten spoiled with the last 2 motorhomes having it available when we need it. Now that we have one, we use it all the time and I'm scared to be without one. Had 3 power outages while camping 3 different times, and never missed a beat. Thought about just getting it prepped and getting the locals to put a 7500 onan in (Provided there is room), like we had in the Tiffin. You could run both AC's, microwave and a few other things without any problem.

Glad to hear of someone full timing in the exact unit we're considering.
Old 05-13-2013, 04:19 PM   #4
Full Timer

One side is three shelves, the other side is a shelve with a hang up bar under it.

Intakes are in the bunk room one on each side towards the rear, the front is a quick cool.

We have the full body grey and black paint. In direct sun in high heat the main room gets warm to us, about 80-84. A lot of the problem is the big windows in the living room and is if the coach is parked facing north so the windows get the afternoon-evening sun, I am planning on getting shades inside made out of that screen material that you can see through but I am told it helps keep it cool inside big time. We could close the blinds or install window awnings but we like to look out. I am also thinking about getting a third air put in the middle.

We have the generator, I was going to do what you did but I was so busy selling things and getting ready to travel I just had the factory install theirs when we went to check on it being built. I regret it the 5500 is not big enough.

We ordered every option, I regret getting the outside kitchen we don't use it like I thought we would and it takes room from the inside so its turned into a high priced hand washing sink. We would also order it without a stove or burner and just get the convection microwave if we order a new one. We use a induction hot plate to cook with and the Nuwave to bake and cook and they both work great and I have no worries like I would with the gas stove because of the kids. The residential refrigerator is really nice to have.

We have been in 5 degree weather up to 100 and all worked great.

Ford Western Hauler
2013 CC 36B4
Old 05-13-2013, 04:43 PM   #5
Plain Old Member

Just the kind of info we're looking for. I like the full paint, but, after owning 2 coaches with it, I'll never own another. When we order the CC, it will be white as it can be. Last MH was black, maroon and tan. Even with the MCD shades (black see through ones) with the secondary white pull downs, in the heat of the summer, the AC's wouldn't shut off. On this unit, I've put the reflective bubble wrap stuff in all of the windows except by the kitchen, dinette and couch. The unit will actually cycle some. Single 15k unit, but the MH isn't huge either. Worst case, third AC it might be. Same guy I mentioned that would probably do a tub install does the third AC's. The outdoor kitchen had already been x'd off our list as we need more room inside than out. Glad to hear your input on the genset. I'll probably order it prepped and go from there. Residential fridge is a must. I've got another thread going about our fridge. I'm done with the gas / electric ones after this MH is sold.

Love the western hauler. I got rid of my F-350 when we got into the MH's. Little did I know we'd be going back to the fifth wheel. So, already shopping for a new F-350. I kind of dread the selling, moving things, storing and so on that goes with this venture, but I'm confident the outcome will be well worth it.
Old 05-13-2013, 05:16 PM   #6
Full Timer

The great insulation and double pane windows help a lot it's just the really tall ceiling in the middle and big windows effect it alot.

I agree the outcome will be worth the headaches. I have a relationship with my kids and wife I wouldn't have got any other way. We did this as a temporary time to spend with my kids before they have to go to school however we have fallen in love with the lifestyle and I don't know if we will ever go back to a house. We have learned we don't need all we had to live and we are so happy now and meet so many great people.

Ford Western Hauler
2013 CC 36B4
Old 05-13-2013, 05:36 PM   #7
Plain Old Member

Our kids are 2 and 4. We're letting the 4 year old go to kindergarten this next school year, then we'll be starting homeschooling with both of them after that. So, we're still kind of in the planning stages. My job will allow me to live anywhere, so that is a good thing. I've been throwing hints at my wife for years about this, and something finally clicked and she said let's do it. We lived in our previous fifth wheel for 8 months once while building the house, and I lived in my first camper for a year prior to kids, so we're not total strangers to it. At least the smaller quarters and lack of "stuff". We will still own our 25 acre getaway with the toy house / shop on it since its paid for and is in a great location, we're just selling our home and property further south. We plan on storing the few things we want to keep at the other place, the rest is slowly being sold already. Life is too short, so we're really looking forward to this transition of lifestyle. I am very appreciative of y'all's input and experience. Definitely helps the thought process.
Old 05-13-2013, 06:05 PM   #8
Full Timer

Good luck, any other questions feel free to ask.

Ford Western Hauler
2013 CC 36B4
Old 05-17-2013, 09:49 AM   #9
Plain Old Member

Return Air Grill Replacement

Here's what I was thinking of replacing the "no filter" return air grills with on the Cedar Creek. They make a 6x14 and a 8x14. I'm not sure of the measurements of the existing grills, but I'm sure I could make something like this work. I'm sure there are other sizes in the event one of these wouldn't work. life2short4nofun, do you know the cut out / vent size of the return air grills, or an approximate size?
Attached Images

Old 05-17-2013, 11:55 AM   #10
Full Timer

7 3/4 x 13 3/4

Where did you find those that's what I was looking for the bigger one will be perfect

Ford Western Hauler
2013 CC 36B4
Old 05-17-2013, 12:46 PM   #11
Plain Old Member

Home Depot. I haven't seen them there in person as I'm offshore now, but came across them digging around online. Here's the links to the 8x14 grill and filters.

VENT GUARD | Return Air Filter System - 14 Inch x 8 Inch | Home Depot Canada
VENT GUARD | Replacement Filters For Vent Guard Return Air Filter System – 14 Inch x 8 Inch | Home Depot Canada
Old 05-17-2013, 01:02 PM   #12
Plain Old Member

I just noticed that was Home Depot in Canada, but no reason it couldn't be ordered. If you do a search for Vent Guard VG14X8W on ebay, you'll get the same set up.
vent guard VG14X8W | eBay

Even there it says "from Canada".
Old 05-17-2013, 03:39 PM   #13
Full Timer

Thanks, I have looked in the stores and they didn't have them, so I will just order some.

Ford Western Hauler
2013 CC 36B4
Old 05-17-2013, 03:46 PM   #14
Plain Old Member

Good deal. Let me know how they work. I'm sure you could cut your own filters out to fit in them. Now if I can just buy the new CC to put them on. 1 year and counting. Working on home appraisal now to start some limited marketing. I'll have quite the mod list by the time I actually get it.
Old 05-17-2013, 03:59 PM   #15
Full Timer

I went ahead and sent that over to Justin Day at CC for consideration on the new rigs. When you get ready to buy price compare with Jeff Couch's in Ohio. You might be shocked in the difference I was, I shopped three other dealers.

Ford Western Hauler
2013 CC 36B4
Old 05-17-2013, 04:21 PM   #16
Plain Old Member

I was wondering who a good contact at CC was. Thanks for sending that along. Is Justin a factory rep or something else? I got plenty more items I'd love to throw out there, especially the tub option. Do you have his email, contact info or is he on this forum?

As for the dealer, I'm not past driving to a "good" dealer. I've bought 2 from Texas, 1 from Georgia and 3 from Louisiana. All depended on the deal at the time. Most of the dealers we've dealt with, if I broke down in front of their dealer, I'd call a tow truck to go elsewhere. One reason I've learned to work on my own stuff. A lot of it will have to do with trade allowance, should we decide to go that route. I really don't want to eat as much as I had to on the Tiffin, but I'm scared that's what it will come to. More than likely we'll order the CC due to not wanting the options that most dealers stock, which is fine. We've special ordered 2 of the we've owned, and it was worth the wait.
Old 05-18-2013, 11:49 PM   #17
Full Timer

Justin Day is a warranty rep for my area his numbers on the forums here. He been good to deal with. I googled his email and emailed him.

Ford Western Hauler
2013 CC 36B4