Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-06-2018, 02:54 PM   #1

36CKTS Black Tank Flush

Last night we were packing up for an early trip home his morning.

I was back flushing the black tank and noticed some clear water coming out of the under belly. Shut it all off and I'll look at it in the morning.

Can someone possibly tell me where the backflush hooks to the black tank. Should I start in the basement or underbelly?
Old 08-06-2018, 07:47 PM   #2

There's a check valve that is suppose to stop black water from contaminating city water. I had mine break on my Open Range. Had fresh water running on my bathroom floor. Valve was under sink on my model. Mtg. of valve gave me free replacement upon return of broke on. Cost new about $20.00.
jetmarine5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 07:48 PM   #3

I have a different model but the back-flush has a back flow or vacuum precentor which on my unit has leaked. The fresh water actually goes up, in my case under the bath sinks then cycles back down into the black tank.
Kinda hare to explain and someone else will fill in my blanks but this is a likely cause of the water leak.
Nights Camped: 2017=61
Nights Camped: 2018=25
Nights Camped: 2019=12 | Booked=6
florabama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 08:44 AM   #4

Well I was wrong! I crawled into the basement yesterday morning and followed the black tank flush line up into the bathroom (I never found the valve) but there was no water at all so I moved on.

Crawled under the trailer and took the plastic panels down and all the insulation was soaked. I found the flange for the black tank was broken and created a small leak.

So once again I have to take the valves apart. Probably going to do a major overhaul.
Old 08-08-2018, 02:16 PM   #5

The backflow check valve is located under the medicine cabinet in your trailer. Had to change mine earlier this year so this is how I know.
2 cats: Bello & Dexter (Peanut) RIP
DavandJane1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2019, 08:51 PM   #6

DavidandJane1 I have a faulty 571 valve causing black tank odor which is also under my medicine cabinet. Any pointers as to how to get to it for replacement? I only have a 4 inch opening in the side wall under my bathroom sink and can barely get one hand in there.
Budman2082 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2019, 09:55 PM   #7

@ "Budman2082": I had to change out the "Air Admittance Valve", which may be the 571, on a friends camper and it too was located up under the bath vanity in an area too small for my hands. Think as if you were building the RV. I found that removing the bath vanity was easy and allowed me easy access to the AAV.

Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2019, 08:50 AM   #8

Thurman, thanks for response. Iam thinking your maybe right. Only concern is that plumbing is so cheaply made I won't be able to put things back together without something leaking.
Old 06-29-2019, 10:49 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budman2082 View Post
DavidandJane1 I have a faulty 571 valve causing black tank odor which is also under my medicine cabinet. Any pointers as to how to get to it for replacement? I only have a 4 inch opening in the side wall under my bathroom sink and can barely get one hand in there.

If it's like mine, there's a cabinet in the all above it. Take the four or so screws out, pull the cabinet out, and you have much easier access. Takes all of 15 min to pull the cabinet out, replace the valve, and put it back in.
Old 06-30-2019, 08:00 AM   #10

Believe it or not, my medicine cabinet is the only thing in the entire RV that is nailed in and not screwed like everything else.
Old 07-02-2019, 05:25 PM   #11

Well got the replacement 571 valve in the mail today. Took the plunge and went through the four inch opening. Couldn't see what I was doing everything was by touch, but evidentially I got the old valve off and the new one back on. The old valve was sticking in the open position which allowed black tank odor to escape into our bathroom. Once the new valve was in place the odor disappeared.
Thanks to all for your help and suggestions.
Old 07-10-2019, 04:54 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by aknavy View Post
If it's like mine, there's a cabinet in the all above it. Take the four or so screws out, pull the cabinet out, and you have much easier access. Takes all of 15 min to pull the cabinet out, replace the valve, and put it back in.
I don't want to hijack the thread, but are you talking about the medicine cabinet in the bathroom that you had to remove to get to the air admittance valve? I have a smell as well, but I have never been able to find the valve.
Your trailer should be the same as mine.

Thanks!
Demco Glide Ride pin box
Demco Hijacker UMS 21K hitch
mlatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 05:17 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlatter View Post
I don't want to hijack the thread, but are you talking about the medicine cabinet in the bathroom that you had to remove to get to the air admittance valve? I have a smell as well, but I have never been able to find the valve.
Your trailer should be the same as mine.

Thanks!

Yes, the medicine cabinet to the left of the sink. There's an access hole under the sink for it, but I think you'd have to have multiple elbows in each arm to get the job done thru there!

I'm also paranoid about water leaks, and the only way to really see what is going on is to remove the cabinet - then you can see the valve, water lines, and floor.
Old 07-10-2019, 05:27 PM   #14

Quote:
Yes, the medicine cabinet to the left of the sink. There's an access hole under the sink for it, but I think you'd have to have multiple elbows in each arm to get the job done thru there!

I'm also paranoid about water leaks, and the only way to really see what is going on is to remove the cabinet - then you can see the valve, water lines, and floor.
Some magic way, I replaced mine through that opening/hole.

Turned out that wasn't the issue. The issue on mine was wrong plumbing where the black tank empties into the discharge tube. It looked like this (Before they totally replaced it):
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	sewer.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	204.5 KB
ID:	209549  

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 05:29 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandJCarm View Post
Some magic way, I replaced mine through that opening/hole.

Turned out that wasn't the issue. The issue on mine was wrong plumbing where the black tank empties into the discharge tube. It looked like this (Before they totally replaced it):

That looks horrible. Like it broke and somebody decided to JB Weld it back together.
Old 07-10-2019, 05:38 PM   #16

Quote:
That looks horrible. Like it broke and somebody decided to JB Weld it back together.
It was the dealer. I don't go to dealers anymore.

It is some kind of butyl stuff. The problem was the discharge tube was not long enough for the adapter to go up inside the black tank, so it leaked....drip, drip, drip....till the insulation was soaked and fell out. Twice.

The fix was to rip it all out and start over with a long enough discharge tube to fit all the way inside the tank. No leaks (fingers crossed).

We lived 3 years with it. Took a while to get bad, but it was bad!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BlackTankLeak.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	212.7 KB
ID:	209550  

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
Old 07-10-2019, 05:43 PM   #17

Quote:

Awesome. I had plugged that hole under the cabinet previously as part of my mouse-proofing project. I'll pop out the cabinet and have a look.
Demco Glide Ride pin box
Old 07-10-2019, 05:46 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandJCarm View Post
It was the dealer. I don't go to dealers anymore.

It is some kind of butyl stuff. The problem was the discharge tube was not long enough for the adapter to go up inside the black tank, so it leaked....drip, drip, drip....till the insulation was soaked and fell out. Twice.

The fix was to rip it all out and start over with a long enough discharge tube to fit all the way inside the tank. No leaks (fingers crossed).

We lived 3 years with it. Took a while to get bad, but it was bad!
Wow. Keeping my fingers crossed that it's just my AAV that's the issue.
Demco Glide Ride pin box
Old 07-10-2019, 05:50 PM   #19

Have seen a lot of CKTS CC's. None ever had this issue. I am sure you'll be ok. But you have to pull the belly pans to see if insulation is compromised. It's not that bad to do, or to put back. Just a drill and lying on your back.
Old 07-13-2019, 02:56 PM   #20

This is good time to ask. Had to remove my underbelly insulation for a lot of little different reasons, carpenter ants. Came up the sewer hose in one night had would say 200 hundred or so in insulation.

What exactly is the purpose of a 6 inch piece of batted insulation laid on the underbelly? It certainly is not providing any R value. I have not put any type of insulation back in as of yet.
Rich5117 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
black, black tank, black tank flush, flush, tank