Old 09-12-2016, 12:27 PM   #11
Steelchef

Think I have it now. This was a comment on the picture(s) you sent. The sender is confirming that what you see is designed to enhance air flow.
Too bad it doesn't work very well, in my case at least.
Have ordered 3 computer case fans from Amazon and will install them per photos from Turbs.
Good thread, thanks for all the input. Very timely.

PV - 2012 Toyota Rav 4
cobatoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 01:01 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
Cut the plywood and put two computer fans just above the burner below to force air across the entire back of the frig. I would also put some screen wire on both upper and lower covers to keep varmints (mud daubers) out.
x2. Removed the single small whinny noisy OEM fan and replaced with two computer-like fans. Very quiet now and refer works well now too.

Bought two of these: Coolerguys Ultra Quiet 120mm dual ball bearing fan 3 pin fan #CG12025L12B2-3Y, Low Speed Quiet 1200 RPM
www.coolerguys.com

Old 09-12-2016, 01:56 PM   #13

Just a note.anyone installing extra fans either behind the fridge or the ones inside be sure to run it thru a FUSE! My sons added muffin fans behind his fridge melted and smoked, Luckily he caught it before it turned into a real fire.Plus any refrigerator problems may not be covered under warranty if the mfg.thinks it may be caused by the fan.(remember they are always looking for a way out)
Old 09-12-2016, 02:13 PM   #14

Reply from a different Rep.:

Mr. K,

Yes that is supposed to be there it was built like that in the factory to try to help the design flow to go up and out. If you would like to do that it would be up to you. I can only advise that it was how it was manufactured here at the factory.

I appreciate the opportunity to assist you with your Cedar Creek product
Thank You,

Nick Hale
Customer service Rep
Cedar Creek
Forest River, Inc
Office: 260-593-4000
Fax:574-343-5973
Email: nhale@forestriverinc.com
Old 09-12-2016, 02:53 PM   #15

dometic has a spec as to size if upper vent, check with them as square inches needed. it looks about the same as mine
Old 09-12-2016, 05:33 PM   #16

Send a message via MSN to Tiggerdad
Don't cut the plywood. It is designed to restrict and direct the hot air rising so that it goes out the side vent. Should be a fan helping to blow air up but they frequently fail. Add 1or 2 each muffin fans to to move additional. air. I put a switch on mine to turn off when not needed. As said, be sure to add a fuse for protection.

Go to the fridge manufacturer web site and search for what clearances should be. Often not installed properly.

There seems to be more issues with fridges in slides that vent at the top. My previous rig had a top mounted vent that was through the roof. Seemed to work better that those with the fridge that vents through the side.
Old 09-12-2016, 05:43 PM   #17
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiggerdad View Post
Don't cut the plywood. It is designed to restrict and direct the hot air rising so that it goes out the side vent. Should be a fan helping to blow air up but they frequently fail. Add 1or 2 each muffin fans to to move additional. air. I put a switch on mine to turn off when not needed. As said, be sure to add a fuse for protection.

Go to the fridge manufacturer web site and search for what clearances should be. Often not installed properly.

There seems to be more issues with fridges in slides that vent at the top. My previous rig had a top mounted vent that was through the roof. Seemed to work better that those with the fridge that vents through the side.
Two fans directly above the burner will direct the flow across the entire back of the refrigerator and cutting the plywood out will let the hot air out. YOU DO NOT want it restricted in any way, shape or form. I have a switch on our fans, but when the frig is on the fans are on.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Dual fans2.JPG
Views:	77
Size:	167.0 KB
ID:	120040  
Old 09-13-2016, 08:39 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobatoma View Post
Thanks for all comments and suggestions. Old Coot, your idea sounds like the best plan. Will see if CC will pony up as the unit is not getting enough cooling at ambient temps over about 80F. On highest setting, it runs at about 38-45 deg. Freezer won't keep ice cream cold. Normally sits at 34 and freezes well. It's also intermittent which is why the cooling unit is being replaced. It's 68F now and working perfectly. Thanks for the suggestion. I'll do it, no matter who pays.
I have the same problem spoke to Dometic waste of time was at the factory in march and found that all of the insulation was wet so it all got replaced I purchased the two fans that were mentioned in previous tags but they are not strong enough looking for different ones as I know in the winter in Texas is around 80* the ice cream will melt. I did cut the wood panel out of mine but had to put it back, you do need it out to install fans. Dometic has not got the message yet that they have a problem with ventilation nor will they help.
Old 09-13-2016, 09:22 AM   #19
Steelchef

I sure appreciate the input that you all have contributed. Even though much of it is similar in content, the tidbits have helped to understand and make decisions on how to tackle this. At the time of writing, outside temperature is 7ᴼC (44ᴼF) and the fridge is on high, running at 38ᴼF. Freezer seems to be working OK. Obviously needs more than fans. When the new cooling unit is installed, I will have the techs’ install fans that I ordered on Amazon.ca, following suggestions made here.
PV - 2012 Toyota Rav 4
cobatoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 09:39 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobatoma View Post
I sure appreciate the input that you all have contributed. Even though much of it is similar in content, the tidbits have helped to understand and make decisions on how to tackle this. At the time of writing, outside temperature is 7ᴼC (44ᴼF) and the fridge is on high, running at 38ᴼF. Freezer seems to be working OK. Obviously needs more than fans. When the new cooling unit is installed, I will have the techs’ install fans that I ordered on Amazon.ca, following suggestions made here.
What kind of fans did you buy??? Cape Breton NS

Tags
fridge, vent