Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-07-2016, 09:10 PM   #1

36CKTS Spare Tire Winch Loosening Problem

I recently lost my spare tire on my 2016 Cedar Creek 36CKTS while traveling in South Carolina. Felt a slight bump, which I could not tell what it was from, but could not pull over at that time because I was in a construction area with no shoulders. When I finally did pull over I discovered that I had lost my spare tire and was unable to go back and get it. My winch cable/bracket was hanging down about 8 inch below the head of winch. Took RV to dealership to examine why winch had released tire and could not determine reason. Forest River agreed to install new winch assembly and give me a new spare tire. When I got RV home I installed an extra bracket across top of winch head and put two 3/8 diameter threaded rods, with brace plates and nylon lock nuts to insure that it winch failed again I would not lose another spare tire. Last week I left for a 900 miles round trip with my RV. Before I left I checked that the winch was holding the tire tightly again the winch system and that my extra braces were also tightly holding the tire. About three hours into the trip I stopped at a rest stop and at that time I checked to see if the winch was tight. Much to my surprise the winch was loose and the cable/bracket was hanging down from the tire rim about 3 inches. If it was not for my extra threaded rods, nuts and braces I would have lost another tire. I tighten the winch and continued on my trip but I stop about every two hours to check the if the winch was tight. It was lose each time. Before I started my trip home a manufactured a bracket to secure the winch system rod that protrudes out from the winch head about 36 inch and is used to raise and lower the spare time. This rod is not contained and is allowed to bounce around while traveling. When I installed this bracket to prevent the rod from bouncing around, I had no loosing of the winch during my 8 hour trip home. I have checked the Keystone Montana and Apline fifth wheels and they have almost the same spare time winch system as Cedar Creek, and they have a bracket that contains the winch system rod. I have installed pictures of the bracket for the winch system rod.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0229 - Copy.JPG
Views:	134
Size:	100.3 KB
ID:	113417   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0227 - Copy.JPG
Views:	168
Size:	107.3 KB
ID:	113418  
JohnE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 04:56 PM   #2

I've had 4 fivers with the same spare tire winch setup over the years. 3 SOB's and now my Silverback ... I didn't care for the front storage of the spare so I got some steel angle, a Lippert winch, copied the design, and made my own. Some people have just used pickup winches, but I never found one with the offset needed to make it work under my Silverback. Anyways ... as with my 3 previous fivers with the same spare winch setup, I've always towed with a ratchet strap around the tire and winch frame just for security. Never lost a spare in 18 years. My old Keystone products you referred to did have a shaft bracket screwed to the frame for support, but all it consisted of was a 1/2" metal conduit clamp for residential wiring. I am currently using the same. Your bracket looks nicer.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tire