Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-15-2015, 06:42 PM   #1

38ck Bedroom Slide Problem

Anyone have problems with their Cedar Creek 38ck bedroom slide. We have not taken the unit off the dealer's lot yet and the slide is having major repairs. Will not come all the way in. They are putting more rollers on it, total of five, new tracks under the bed to slide on. Even had a crack tech from Lippert look at the problem and give suggestions. Will advise what the final cure is for this issue.

btritschler1437 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 07:26 PM   #2

Our 2014 38CK had bedroom slide problems. It is a big slide for a Swyntec. Ours suffered from adhesive that got on the rollers. It tripped breakers. I removed it with paint thinner. Beyond that, a regular spraying with silicon keeps it working fine. I also replaced the rollers under the bed with wider and larger fixed casters as well as a small frame to align them. The factory roller setup was a joke. 2 little wheels cleated to the bed frame. One had just ripped off on its own. We load that hall closet and have a washer too.
Sterlingsilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 09:48 PM   #3

Thank you forn your reply. Taking similar action regarding the rollers under the bed.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums

Old 10-16-2015, 08:43 AM   #4

Had problems too the first time we tried to slide ours in last week. One side would go in a ways then stop, then the other wide would move a ways and stop. When they finally quit retracting one side was still stuck out about 4 inches. We had to get on the road so we drove with it like that to our next park. Bringing it in to the dealer is not a great option for us since it is our home. We've seen a few tips on You-tube so might try something this weekend.
allitan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 12:09 PM   #5

Allitan, you may want to try putting the slide out then bring in a foot then back out again. Do this a few times like 3 to 5 times. You are trying to get the slide back in time and sync. The motors, one on each side count the revolutions of the drive gear. When out of sync they pull the slide in crooked. The Lippert rep told my dealer to take the trim off the sides then bring in the slide, the unit should self correct and realign, will see. Do you have any scratches or gouges on the side of the slide??. The front upper trim piece on mine has a gouge from where it rubbed. Let us know how you fix this problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums

Old 10-16-2015, 02:38 PM   #6

Pick another unit
Dkjones28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2015, 05:26 AM   #7

I don't think this is a problem that is unique to Cedar Creek - rather any bedroom slide that uses the Schwintek system. My Coachmen Brookstone is having the same issues and my friend's Redwood is the same. I'm being told to run the slide out a foot or so and back in 3 or 4 times to get the motors to sync up. Seems to have worked the last time as I was closing up - but it does make me nervous not to have full confidence in the system.
I'm also told to keep my finger on the switch for a few seconds after it has gone in or out so these little motors keep in time with each other.

But I like your ideas on bigger / wider rollers under the bed to make sure there is reduced friction.
ottawapaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2015, 05:47 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sterlingsilver View Post
Our 2014 38CK had bedroom slide problems. It is a big slide for a Swyntec. Ours suffered from adhesive that got on the rollers. It tripped breakers. I removed it with paint thinner. Beyond that, a regular spraying with silicon keeps it working fine. I also replaced the rollers under the bed with wider and larger fixed casters as well as a small frame to align them. The factory roller setup was a joke. 2 little wheels cleated to the bed frame. One had just ripped off on its own. We load that hall closet and have a washer too.
Your bedroom slide has the Washer in it as well? That places lots of weight on a Schwintec slide. They seem better suited for Smaller slides. Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2015, 08:18 PM   #9

Youroo, our Swyntec has seen a lot of cycles on 2 years. It likes to be lubed with silicone. The more we use it the better it works
Old 10-18-2015, 04:05 PM   #10

Thanks for the suggestions.We tried pulling it in about a foot and out again 3 or 4 times then tried to go all the way in but it stopped about 6 inches from being fully retracted. We tried pulling it in and out more a few more times, sprayed with silicone and when motors stopped retracting it still was about 2 inches out. We did this a few more times with the same result. At least the motors seemed to be synced up and came in evenly lol. I guess we need to call the dealer, bummer.
Old 10-18-2015, 07:15 PM   #11

It must be binding up on something. Can you see any scrape marks? Any carpet underneath getting caught up? If it worked when you bought it, something has changed and it might be physical, not electrical.
Old 10-19-2015, 09:10 AM   #12

Nothing is binding or scraping as far as we can tell. We tried the override technique to try to get the motors to keep going to fully retract but they just stop. We never saw it actually be retracted at the dealer so who knows if it worked just as it should initially. Even when we picked it up the bedroom slide didn't seem to be in as far as it should. We asked them about it and they said it was good to go. I don't understand why they don't just use the same type of slide system as the other two on the trailer.
Old 10-19-2015, 09:53 AM   #13

For slides in the upper part of the trailer, the Schwintek is hard to beat. It doesn't require any tracks or hardware under the floor. That's no problem for the other 5th wheel slides because there isn't any usable storage under the floor. I have owned other 5th wheels that used electric motor and hydraulic mechanisms under the bed. It wipes out a lot of storage and in the case of the 38CK, would mess with the washer/dryer piping. Access to the Schwintek drive motors in the walls on either side of the slide, makes servicing pretty easy. Mine originally had troubles in below freezing weather because of mastic adhesive that got slopped on to the rollers underneath. I removed that with paint thinner and reset the breaker. Since then, some silicone on the tracks and rollers is all that's been required to keep it working smoothly. Every time I go out to the trailer in storage or on the road (which is almost daily) the slide is cycled.

I don't want to discourage you but the Lippert slide gear under the other slides has been a bit more of a pain. I have had the rack gears break teeth from skipping. This is because the synchronizing mechanism isn't evenly loaded. CK put the racks where they fit best with the tanks and they don't see a balanced load. Especially the passenger side (dinette). There is a Lippert fix for this but I have access to welding equipment and have strengthened the push out tubes and all has been OK. This mechanism should NOT be lubricated. If you see how those slides have to jump up over the sill and glide on a piece of plastic, you will not be so critical of the Schwintek. I have lifted the carpet and also countersunk all the screws on the frame for the glide. Doing so, I found that 1/3 of the screws had been twisted off during manufacture.

Finally, when my dealer immediately dropped $40,000 off the MSRP for the 38CK, at time of purchase, I realized how this game is played. I sometimes think what I got was a just a DIY kit, but all in all, this trailer can be finessed into a wonderful vehicle.
Old 11-10-2015, 05:33 PM   #14

Well after trying all the little tricks we know of on how to get a stubborn slide to go in and out here is what it took: added three more rollers under the slide for a total of five; exchanged the 300:1 motors for 500:1 motors; added two hard plastic tracks for the wheels under the bed to roll on; added bigger wheels under the bed with heavier screws; installed a new Schwintek communicator wire.

Now it's off to the paint shop to paint all the new screw heads and any more cosmetic work that needs to be done. Then a wash and polish. Besides this they installed a new TrailAir hitch, additional battery disconnect, door lock on the 20 Cu. inch fridge, repainted the driver rear quarter panel. Maybe we can take delivery Friday.

Old 11-11-2015, 10:36 AM   #15

Wow! Sounds like they really stepped up and tried to solve the problem and not just Band-Aid it. Was all this done at the dealer and about how long did it take them? I ask because our 2015 38CK goes in to the dealer Saturday for the same problem(plus other things).
Old 11-11-2015, 11:42 AM   #16

I looked at a new 38CK and passed because of two things. It looked like you couldn't use the bathroom without opening the slide and there is no way I wanted to deal with a Schwintec slide. I hope they can get it straightened out..
GOTTOYS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 01:13 PM   #17

For some people, pushing a button is too much work but the Schwintec slide is in use all over and ours works great. We gladly gave up the open hallway for the storage in the slide. That is where the washer/dryer resides and is great for family and other guests to use. We are headed out soon for 4 months on the road. The slide will get a really good workout.
Old 11-11-2015, 06:05 PM   #18

This has taken about six weeks, with all the back and forth discussion with FR, Lippert and Schwintek. We have not taken official delivery of the unit. I live across the street from the dealer so it was easy for me to check on the unit and physically see what they were not doing or doing. Correction to the size of the refrigerator. 20 cu. ft, not inches, sorry.

Old 11-11-2015, 07:04 PM   #19

Wheredo you apply the silicone? On the tracks / the rollers or both?
CTGREG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 08:18 PM   #20

I apply it to both.

Tags
bed, bedroom slide, roo, slide