Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-05-2014, 07:48 AM   #1

38CK winterization

I'm wondering how to winterize my 38CK, specifically the residential kitchenaid residential refrigerator. Does anyone have any info?
serial fordicator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 09:17 AM   #2

We don't have a 38CK but on the 38FL there is a low point drain directly below the fridge in the slideout. I open this low point drain, then using a jumper wire to cycle the ice maker 2-3 times to allow the water to drain out completely.

After it is empty and drained for a short time, I close the low point drain and turn off the line into the fridge (shut off is just past the low point drain). And then add some anti-freeze into the system (about 1.5-2.0 gallons).

This process ensures the water is gone, and no anti-freeze gets into the ice maker making spring readiness easier.

Not sure about the Kitchen aide model but our Whirlpool has instructions online on how to use a piece of wire to jump the ice maker to test cycle it.
2017 Days Planned: 135

38FLCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 12:51 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 38FLCamper View Post
We don't have a 38CK but on the 38FL there is a low point drain directly below the fridge in the slideout. I open this low point drain, then using a jumper wire to cycle the ice maker 2-3 times to allow the water to drain out completely.

After it is empty and drained for a short time, I close the low point drain and turn off the line into the fridge (shut off is just past the low point drain). And then add some anti-freeze into the system (about 1.5-2.0 gallons).

This process ensures the water is gone, and no anti-freeze gets into the ice maker making spring readiness easier.

Not sure about the Kitchen aide model but our Whirlpool has instructions online on how to use a piece of wire to jump the ice maker to test cycle it.
Thank you!
serial fordicator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 04:53 PM   #4

I like Walter have the 38FL too. I was talking to the dealership on another matter and asked the tech while I had him on the phone. I was concerned with not getting all the water out of the system especially up to the ice maker itself. The tech told me the best advise he could give me was to leave the antifreeze jug in place and let the ice machine run until it made pink ice cubes...about 6 hours. He told me about the low point drain as Walter mentioned, however he said owners are not getting all the water out of the solenoid and then having to replace the solenoid in the spring. Going to winterize next week...we'll see.
Papawillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 06:18 PM   #5

Papawillie - you can use a short jumper on the front of the ice maker to cycle it to pull in the antifreeze. I did this last year but it did take some work to get the antifreeze out of the icemaker this year. So going with the air purge and low point drain method this year.

The youtube video shows after you remove the front cover of the ice maker of how to jump the ice maker to force it to cycle saving some time.

2017 Days Planned: 135

38FLCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 06:29 PM   #6

Outstanding thank you Walter. Roy

2014 CC 38FL
2011 GMC 3500 SLT Crew DRW
Papawillie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
winter