Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-08-2015, 10:00 PM   #1

38FL - Electric from slide problem

Hi everyone,

I am hoping to get some help and advice here on a problem that has just started on our 2014 38FL. During our vacation a couple of weeks ago, our passenger side living room electric slide started giving us some problems. The first indicator was that it would correctly deploy but when trying to retract it, the slide would stop working or completely refuse to budge. I managed to find the manual override button (just inside the passenger side basement cupboard on the basement ceiling- see photo) and was able to use that to override the operation. Now we find the slide won't deploy smoothly and only shuffles out a couple of inches before stopping. My wife has to then release the switch, give it a quick press as if retracting the slide and then press the deploy again. This then allowed the slide to shuffle out at the other end (only one end of the slide moves per press of the button). After a few goes at this, it stopped altogether and I then had to use the manual override button to get it to move out at all. Using this method, the whole slide moved out as it is supposed to. Again, getting it retracted required us to use the OR button again. Has anyone else come across this and is there a simple fix or do I need to take it to the dealer?

Thanks in advance
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1147.jpg
Views:	256
Size:	282.8 KB
ID:	88170  

Richard & Diane
2014 Cedar Creek 38FL
2016 F350 Lariat CC DRW
Retired Metropolitan Police (UK)
Hutch333id is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 10:04 PM   #2
Plain Old Member

Sounds like the motors are out of sync. I can't remember the exact procedure, but think I recall running the slide out, then continuing to hold the button for a good while, then releasing. Somebody please correct me as it's been awhile since I had a schwintek. I could be way off on the issue.
2013 Ford F-350 Lariat CC LB PSD
2015 SOB TT - With OC's Awning Poles (#8)
At least in Heaven, RVs will be perfect, and I won't have to keep fixing them.
BigJohnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 10:35 PM   #3
Certified Curmudgeon

This should help:
http://lci1.com/images/support/manua...on-service.pdf

Also I suggest you get a can of crc power lube with tfe (green can). There is a video on youtube on how to lube. I would not advise messing with the stall adjustment unless you have a grasp of what it will do.
Old 09-08-2015, 11:30 PM   #4

BigJohD and Duckogram,

You guys are awesome. Thank you so much for this help and advice. I'll read through the material and then give this a shot at the weekend.

Richard & Diane
2014 Cedar Creek 38FL
2016 F350 Lariat CC DRW
Old 09-09-2015, 12:25 AM   #5

our 38fl has failed 3 times,in dealer twoce

We also have a 2014 38fl CC. We have had nothing but trouble with it with over 30 items broken and needing repair. Our same front passenger electric slide has been in the shop twice ( first was a broken wire, this last time, it was a broken solder wire when we picked it up last Thursday, and now it had happened again while we did the bridge walk at Mackinaw City on this last Monday. If we could return this trailer as a lemon, we would! We leave on Thursday to take the trailer back to the C.C. plant for a complete review and PDI. THE NEW CC Plant Manager promises to make this right. We are hoping that this will happen. I moved the slide out manually while my wife kept pushing the button. When we left yesterday, it did retract by itself. The electric slides are causing a lot of comments on these forums. We would be interested to hear how your experiences with the 38fl have been. Write back or we can try to PM. We are in Rockford Mi. Bill
numbersman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 06:42 AM   #6

2015 CC 38fl Hathaway also has many problems. I have a 3 page list of them. The dealer has fixed a few, I have fixed or worked around several. These forums have helped a lot!!!
brycliff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 12:15 PM   #7

i'm having the same problem with my driver side slide room .took it back to dealer and was told that the motor is on one side of the room and that is why it goes in on a angle.i play with the in an out button . it does work not very smooth.
wire1946 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 01:28 PM   #8

this is the shwintech system and it sucks. How many red lights are you getting? This will give you a start point. I have my 360fl in the shop right now for same problem. It was saying short in wiring between motor and controller. I replaced the wiring harness with no luck. Cant do realignment process because it needs to move 10 inches or more and it will only go about 2 inches on the right side before binding up. So only thing left would be motor (most common) or controller. Under warranty so dealer can fix.
j free is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 07:11 PM   #9

Electric Slide on 38FL Cedar Creek

Thanks for the post Mr Numbersman. I have the exact model as yours and I love it. I am a full timer and have been living in it for 2 yrs and I love it!!
Yes I had a few issues with it (that I could fix) certainly not the amount you have.
I think it is a great unit. If I had to do again I would not hesitate. I really like Forest River and now I'm trying to get into one of their class a MH
Go buy any RV made and tell me if you have problems with it.
I hope you can get things worked out and "ENJOY THE RIDE "

Forever young.............Craigi
craigi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 12:27 PM   #10

My understanding is you need to press the small button in the window of the controller 6 times, then hold it on the seventh time until you get alternating light flashes. When that happens release the button and quickly, you then have 30-45 seconds to fully deploy the slide then retract. My understanding i that this will resynch the motors. Just remember to press the button to fully deploy and the not fully retract. Do not stop halfway. It is helpful if someone is at the switch to control the slide while the reset button is pressed. Just do not change the little switch settings in the window of the controller.

I have done this to the point that that the dealer sent a top notch mechanic out to my house to retract my slide. He did so by applying power or jumping the wires for the harness to the motors.

In any event, I was not sure about the jumping procedure. The CC 38CK is now in the shop and I believe that they will be replacing the controller. I will keep you advised. Despite the issues, this trailer is awesome! Like anything that is manufactured with so many systems, there is bound to be some issues no matter what. Just grin and bear it and I am sure CC customer service / warranty service will help.
CTGREG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 12:44 PM   #11

For the most part, the dealership has been very helpful in service for my 38CK. I was even given the cell number of the service manager. Not wanting to bother him with constant calls, i found it to be helpful to text him instead. This will allow a quick and brief discussion of the issues. It seems most of the issues have been with the Schwintek slider.
CTGREG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 06:15 PM   #12

What's his cell #
craigi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 10:48 AM   #13

CTGREG Not totally correct but close. Go to www.wn.com/understanding a schwintek in-wall slidesystem This site gives videos on how to do many things on the schwintek slide. It will show how to resynch the motors, how to replace the motors and much much more.
j free is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2015, 07:29 PM   #14

Well, after six weeks at the dealership we finally got the 38fl back today. They had to replace a motor on the passenger side front slide. Thankfully, this was covered by the extended warranty that came with the RV otherwise is would have been nearly $400 (Cdn) to have it fixed. It took them six weeks due to the supply of motor allegedly being lost in the delivery process. Now we have put the RV away for the season in the new storage lot, eagerly awaiting the new season in late April.

Richard & Diane
2014 Cedar Creek 38FL
2016 F350 Lariat CC DRW
Old 11-15-2015, 07:48 PM   #15

I was part of a recent discussion on this forum that talked about the Schwintec slide on a 38CK. I was interested in one but held back because of the Schwintec. Others said they have had no problems with them after an initial shake down period. I'm still glad I didn't get it. Hope you can get yours ironed out.
GOTTOYS is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electric, slide