Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-02-2016, 07:46 PM   #1

38FL front cap oxidation

I have a2013 38fl that the front cap and rear cap has bad oxidation and looks like $?;/;?! Have made several calls to forest river for help and none offered,except last man sent a link how to fix it.Consist of taking to a body and spending 1000.00 to repair.Any one else have this issue or how we get forest river to help with cost,thanks.Very unsatisfied cedar creek owner
Jeffjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 08:03 PM   #2

Is actually oxidized or is the paint fading

Here's a thread on fading caps, maybe this will help you.
There is a contact for Forest River in the thread.

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...tml#post986692

John
Rupkin2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 08:38 PM   #3
CCRVOC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffjones View Post
I have a2013 38fl that the front cap and rear cap has bad oxidation and looks like $?;/;?! Have made several calls to forest river for help and none offered,except last man sent a link how to fix it.Consist of taking to a body and spending 1000.00 to repair.Any one else have this issue or how we get forest river to help with cost,thanks.Very unsatisfied cedar creek owner
FR had a bad batch. Mine was faded also. Factory replaced mine during rally last August.
2012 Dodge 3500, SLT Big Horn,CC,DRW,Cummins HO, EB, 4x4, 3:73, Retrax Pro, Q20, TST507, Garmin RV760, Sleek 4g
2014 Cedar Creek, 36CKTS, 1000w Solar, TriStar MPPT 60, Magnum 2000w, PI EMS, WiFi Ranger Elite, Sleek 4g, Wingard DTV Traveler
Retired Army in 1995, and now retired in 2016
Ramblin Recks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 06:21 AM   #4

Only the front cap of my 2014 CC 34 RLSA was replaced under warranty after the previous warranty "fix" only lasted 45 days before the oxidation re-appeared. Only the small top edge of the rear cap is oxidized but in time the entire back will oxidize and it will be my problem since mine is now out of warranty. I will probably get the rear cap painted if I keep the fifth wheel. I just hope the new cap is made of material that will not oxidize as fast. In the long run paying the extra for full body paint would have been a lot less frustrating and a more enjoyable RV experience. By the way I credit my dealer for getting FR to replace the cap and my dealers service department did a great job.

Believe me when I say that sanding, buffing, sealing WILL NO WORK.

ret2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 09:39 AM   #5

If your camper is still under warranty then Cedar Creek will fix it, if not you may be on your own. My camper was under warranty and Cedar Creek agreed to replace the cap if I was willing to take camper back to factory. A long round trip from eastern NC.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 02:01 PM   #6

I have a 2014 FL 38 and had my front cap repainted and F R 's expense. I took it to a body shop that repairs RV's .they had it a week. it was under warranty .so it did not cost me anything.it would have cost me 2500.00 if I had to pay for it
wire1946 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 03:01 PM   #7

Cap fade

Those caps have been fading since 2010 that I know of, so if it was a bad batch it was a really bad batch. I had a Grand Junction that did the same thing, so don't feel bad.
Boso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 03:03 PM   #8

Our Cedar Creek faded and now the rear is starting.
Campingnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 08:27 PM   #9

And the Fading Cap syndrome continues ..........
Geeezzzz...
Avan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 08:34 PM   #10

A long story but just had mine painted and waiting for the reimbursement check from Coachmen. I had a fading front cap and complained about it at the FR Rally in August and finally Coachmen agreed that it needed to be taken to a body shop under warranty. My dealer, at the last minute, decided not to make arrangements to take it to the body shop so I had to find a qualified body shop and pay out of pocket. I have been waiting for 1 month now to be reimbursed $2,700. Ouch!! So the short story is that Coachmen did honor the fact that it was a warranty issue. The paint job looks great and is warranted not to fade or they will redo.

"Camping is not just a past time it is my relaxing way of life"
buskirk21921 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 07:52 PM   #11
Mddle of the Rd Extremist

Our 2014 38FL front and rear caps looked noticeable "oxidized" when we got back to Florida last fall so we had a guy come out and make an attempt at buffing them out. After two days and $350 in labor and materials, it looked a little better but there's no way to make paint magically reappear.....Of course the unit was already out of warranty and there's no hope in getting FR to cover it

So we'll be traveling around the country this spring with a 2.5 year old, fairly expensive rig looking like it's been beat to sh#t - good rolling ad for FR products, eh?
2014 Cedar Creek 38FL
2013 RAM 3500 6.7L diesel DRW Crew Cab
"When you get to the fork in the road, take it....."
MeepMeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 08:05 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeepMeep View Post
Our 2014 38FL front and rear caps looked noticeable "oxidized" when we got back to Florida last fall so we had a guy come out and make an attempt at buffing them out. After two days and $350 in labor and materials, it looked a little better but there's no way to make paint magically reappear.....Of course the unit was already out of warranty and there's no hope in getting FR to cover it

So we'll be traveling around the country this spring with a 2.5 year old, fairly expensive rig looking like it's been beat to sh#t - good rolling ad for FR products, eh?
I would contact Cedar Creek and explain the issue. There are a lot of units across different manufacturers but Forest River seems to want to make it right. When we were out at the Forest River Rally Goshen, IN last year I noticed a lot of different units with similar oxidation issues and they were making good on the fading issues. It is worth a try to contact Cedar Creek. It is a higher end model and you might get some satisfaction. Just a suggestion, nothing ventured nothing gained.

"Camping is not just a past time it is my relaxing way of life"
buskirk21921 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 10:07 AM   #13
Mddle of the Rd Extremist

Quote:
Originally Posted by buskirk21921 View Post
I would contact Cedar Creek and explain the issue. There are a lot of units across different manufacturers but Forest River seems to want to make it right. When we were out at the Forest River Rally Goshen, IN last year I noticed a lot of different units with similar oxidation issues and they were making good on the fading issues. It is worth a try to contact Cedar Creek. It is a higher end model and you might get some satisfaction. Just a suggestion, nothing ventured nothing gained.
Thanks for the positive spin....guess it's worth a try. Worst thing they can do is say "No" and I'll be no worse off than I am now
2014 Cedar Creek 38FL
2013 RAM 3500 6.7L diesel DRW Crew Cab
"When you get to the fork in the road, take it....."
MeepMeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 04:21 PM   #14

We have a 36CKTS that is less than 2 yrs old that we had fully under cover for part of the year. It has the same oxidation issue that seems to be a very common defect for FR. Husband has tried numerous products to no avail. Very upsetting we can't find something to fix the issue. Not sure I would buy another CC based on this one issue.

lpritchard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 07:16 PM   #15

I have had two Cedar Creeks and both front caps faded, it does look like Cedar Creek would find the problem and fix it. I must be like Bro Fox and the tar baby because I want another Cedar Creek, a 36CKTS

spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote