Old 02-05-2013, 07:55 AM   #1

38FL Residential refrigerator

Hi Everyone,

Does anyone have a 38FL in a cold weather climate and are having problems with the refrigerator cooling in the cold weather? Just picked mine up and refrigerator isn't cooling. Outside temps are in the 20's. ( Light works great ) I know some residential refrigerators have trouble in extreme cold and heat. ( like the one we purchased for our house and had to move indoors )

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Don

dmdrj5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 10:12 AM   #2

i have one in my 2013 CKTS and it has worked fine down to 38 so far. since this is my 2nd CC with one of these refrigerators I might be able to offer a little advice, turn it to its coldest setting , open the freezer and listen, you should hear a fairly loud fan, if not its a bad unit, call whirlpool. 1st one died within a few days of taking delivery.

Old 02-05-2013, 11:44 AM   #3
Full Timer

We have the 36B4 and ours has been down to 5 outside and worked great

How does the outside temp effect it has no outside access panel and vent like a propane refrigerator

Ford Western Hauler
2013 CC 36B4
life2short4nofun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 12:51 PM   #4

We have one and have it working down to 38ish or so outside and inside without any problems. But it is currently winterized and off. Besides it is so cold in the rig (no heat on) I am not sure I would know if it was "working" or not as it would be too cold already for it to cycle.
2017 Days Planned: 135

38FLCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 09:05 PM   #5

On some "residential" style refrigerators, the compressor doesn't work in extreme cold or heat. I hope this isn't the case with this unit. Would make dry camping almost impossible.

I used a hair blower on the sensor in the fridge and got the compressor to kick on, but that doesn't make me any more comfortable. I would expect that when the fridge is set to the coldest setting, the freezer would be around 0 degrees.

The owners manual for my unit shows a separate control for the freezer section, but mine only has one control for both.

Thanks for the posts.
Old 02-07-2013, 06:34 AM   #6

unless I am missing something, I must ask how cold do you keep in your RV when you are camping? It does not matter how cold or hot it is outside your refrigerator is inside so again I must say if it is not working it has nothing to do with outside temps, unless you are not heating or cooling your Rv.
Old 02-19-2013, 09:17 PM   #7

I spoke to the techs where I purchased the 38 FL and they say there is no compressor in that refrigerator model. It is working properly now that the temps are a little warmer. Will have to wait until summer to see how it reacts to heat. We leave it at the lake full time and may need to keep AC running when we are not there. Last year our motorhome got up in the 90's when we left it with the AC off.
Old 02-20-2013, 07:43 AM   #8
Commercial Member

OK, someone has their signals crossed......

If you truly do have the residential refer, it DOES have a compressor. It is just like the refer you have at home.

If you have the 4 door, RV style refer, which it sounds like you do, it does not have the compressor, and works just like any other RV refer.

You also stated above that you used a hair dryer and got the compressor to kick on.....so, do you have one or no??
(Tweaked!!)
2013 Columbus 320RS-ITS HERE!!
huntr70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 02:09 PM   #9

It is probably more me than anyone else that has signals crossed. The 38FL comes with an 18 cu. ft. "residential" refrigerator. ( See attached picture ) it is unlike an rv fridge in that it only runs on electric or battery.
When I applied the hair dryer heat a fan came on in the freezer section that I assumed was a compressor kicking in. Everyone knows what happens when we assume.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	showimagerv.ashx.jpeg
Views:	65
Size:	37.6 KB
ID:	24559  
Old 02-20-2013, 02:51 PM   #10

that is a whirlpool residential refrigerator, same as mine and yes it does have a compressor so your tech that told you it does not have one is not a very good tech. and as I said before, as long as it is inside it does not matter what temps. are outside, mine works just fine in 30's and in the 90's